User ImageUser Image

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Liella sighed, neither content nor unhappy, simply giving herself over to her senses. She was in the north of the Haven territory, near the spot where her and Kanani and Kama had been attacked by the Kalona not too long ago, though still a good distance away from the clearing in the woods where the attack had happened. She was visiting the stream today, and though the water was known to flow roughly in some areas, she had found a nice, semi-deep pool with cool water that swirled lazily around moss-covered boulders. The sound of nearby rapids was comforting to her, and the late evening light sifted softly through overhanging tree branches. Already, fireflies danced at the edges of the trees, and the sky took on the bluish hue of twilight. The sound of treefrogs met her ears with a sweet melody, and she felt, for once, able to relax.

She sank into the water, letting the cool liquid soothe her muscles. She wandered if her daughters enjoyed doing the same thing--wherever they were. The thought brought a pang of guilt to her chest, and she fought back sudden tears. Her one daughter, Cherish, had been stolen away by a fierce kalona, and would likely never be seen again, if she was still alive. Her other daughter, Ianthe, had been so terrified that she had run off in an unknown direction, and still hadn't been found despite Liella's hardest efforts. The mother had tried so hard to protect them... but in truth, Liella knew that her daughter's disappearances were her fault. If only she had been more responsible, braver, more skilled in combat... but she was also small of size and wouldn't have been much help. Bottom line, she had been too childish, and hadn't been responsible when she conceived her children. She hadn't been ready, and had ruined lives because of it. Now she had a son that she'd never see, a daughter who might be dead or a plaything for a kalona, and another daughter who was hopelessly lost and probably given up on her mother.

Liella was the worst mother in the world.

Her friend Kannai had done all she could to consol her, but it hadn't worked. Everyday, Liella faced the sins of her life and prayed that her daughters would come home safe. She had even tried to go back out and look for Ianthe, but Kanani had told her to stay in Haven, saying that if Ianthe would return, it'd be better to stay in one spot. So Liella stayed, but her heart grew heavier every day.

She missed the times when she had been carefree. As a younger mare, she had danced through the forest, sang beautiful songs, spoken to the sprites who inhabited flowers. But now she felt so much older, as if a weight hung upon her shoulders. If only she could find that happiness again...

To prevent the tears, she started to sing a quiet song, her voice slightly warped by sorrow. But it did make her feel better, and she continued to sing, letting the water flow around her.

Raven wasn't far away from the light-coated mare as she started singing. The sound was faint from his vantage point in the trees, but he still heard it, and could still discern the sorrow in its tone. He stood and listened for a few moments, wondering what creature could make a song so beautiful, and yet so heart wrenching. The song made him think of his home--his real home--and the family that he had once had. For once, his eyes did not fill with tears as he remembered the soft fall of her mane, the loving acceptance in her eyes, and the honey sweet timbre of her voice. His heart did not break when he thought of his son, the strong colt who had looked so much like her, yet possessed Raven's strength and resolve. He had so much promise... but it was all stolen away the moment that group of Kalonas had found them.

He grunted, sweeping the memories from his mind, and focused on the small weight of his necklace. In it, she was with him, and its delicate curves reminded him that no matter where he went, she would lead the way.

The day was late. He had spent most of it exploring the trees of Haven, taking in sights, sounds, and smells. Crisanto had informed him of the need for more guards and protection, and though Raven was not a member of the herd, he felt that it was the least he could do for their hospitality. Truthfully, he could have left by now, and resumed his quest for vengeance against the kalonas who murdered his family. But something about the peacefullness of this place stayed his hatred, and he agreed to stay for a few more days.

He had been accepted by most of the herd members, though Kanani's son Kristan still remained skeptical of him and tried to follow his every move. But he had escaped his sight on this day, and had taken to the trees to find solace.

The singing in the distance stopped, and Raven's ears pricked forward. He didn't want to disturb the mare, but he was curious as to who the voice belonged to. So he stepped forward, towards the stream, until the trees began to thin and the boulders became larger, framing a stream with rapids and cool dancing water. He glanced this way and that, his dark eyes squinting in the evening light, until he saw the light shape of a mare's body, not far down the stream. THen, to his amazement, he realized that she was looking right back at him. He was at a loss at what to say, realizing that he was most likely invading her privacy, and might have even startled her. She gave a slight gasp and started to head towards the opposite bank, to which he called out, "Wait!"

Liella had ceased her song long before she saw the stallion appear out of the trees. It wasn't that she had ran out of words--it just felt so strange trying to sing when one was supposed to be mourning. Perhaps she would have sang longer, but the water was making her too relaxed, and all she really felt anymore was a strange sense of tiredness and sluggishness.

She hadn't expected another soul to be in the vicinity, much less the stallion who had graced Haven with his presence a couple days ago. She hadn't seen him much, hadn't even talked to him yet, and only knew that his name was Raven and that he had been injured when Kanani had found him. She heard that he wasn't violent and was actually quite gracious, but that he was still a very distant soul and preferred solitude to the company of others. She also knew that he was half-kalona, and that Kristan held doubts about him, though she wasn't sure what to think herself. She wasn't afraid of him, but still didn't feel as trusting as she should have, especially when he interupted her moment of privacy. Without thinking, she gave a small sound of distress and headed towards the bank, not wishing for this to be the moment that they truly met. And... there was no one else around. What if the rumors about him were true?

But she still halted when he called out, looking back to see him walking slowly towards her, the breeze tugging at his long, ebony locks of hair. For a second, her eyes were drawn to the blossoms in his mane--just like hers!--but then her attention turned back to the strange eyes he possessed and the curled horns running back from the crown of his head. Despite his angelic look, there was still more to him than the eye beheld.

"I... can I help you?" she called softly, not knowing what else to say. She still remained on the far bank, her coat and mane dripping water. The breeze sent a chill through her, and she shivered.

Raven stopped when he was directly across from her, and did not attempt to go ay closer. She seemed wary of him, which he did not blame her for. He recognized her as Liella, one of Kanani's closest friends, though he had never met her personally. She was a small mare, with graceful, fragile-looking limbs and eyes framed by long, delicate lashes. She had a beautiful mane and tail, in which rested tiny glowing flowers. His eyes caught the silvery glow of vines twirling up her legs, and for a moment, he wondered if perhaps she was really some mystical being of the forest. But she breathed, spoke, and shivered like a real mare, just as she should. Strangely, he wished that she wasn't so wary of him.

"I've disturbed you... forgive me," he murmured, bowing his head a fraction to be gracious. When he straightened, she was looking at him intently, most likely trying to discern his intentions. Strange, how a pair of horns could change you from a heavenly creature to one everyone distrusted.

"Have no worries, young mare. I've no dishonorable intentions," he said, folding his wings tightly behind him. "I... I only heard your song. You have a lovely voice." He leaned back on his hind legs, taking on a posture of relaxation. He didn't know if using her name would make her more uncomfortable, so left it at that. He would not try to go closer, unless she let him.

Liella was caught off guard at his apologetic tone. She hadn't really expected him to be so... gentlemanly. Yet there he was, standing quietly, letting her choose the next move. She had a feeling that he'd let her leave if she wanted to, and wouldn't follow her. But... she was on the wrong side of the bank, and would have to cross over eventually. Oh, how foolish of her! Now she would have to soak herself again, and find her way over in near darkness. It was even hard to see Raven now, since his coat was so dark. Only the light of the rising moon and stars, as well as the fireflies, helped her discern his outline.

"It's... It's alright. I was not indisposed," she muttered, her cheeks coloring slightly. She wasn't upset that he had invaded her privacy, only disturbed that it was HIM. And at this time of night. But he calmed her worries with his smooth, deep voice.

"T-thank you, sir. I appreciate your compliment. Though I do not feel as if I deserve it." Oh, what a perfect thing to say. Could she not speak properly? She hoped that he wouldn't try to ask her about her sorrows, for she didn't feel like sharing them at the moment.

"I'm sorry, I mean no disrespect by my actions. I... I just have times when I must be alone. I was not expecting you. But... but it seems as if I've made a foolish mistake. I must cross over again." Well, she didn't really want to be alone with him. But he was kind enough, and he hadn't set upon her like she feared. Perhaps Kristan's fears about him were only the musings of an aspiring knight with a fiery heart. Besides, it was much darker now, and she was starting to fear what else may be lurking in the shadows beyond the stream. Perhaps Raven would be kindly enough to help her back to the Haven center. She doubted that much of anything would try to attack him, unless it was a very foolish creature.

So, shaking her head at her idiocy, she stepped back into the stream, heading back towards the other side. The water seemed so much colder now, and filled with unknown things. She wished that she was braver, but couldn't chase the doubts from her heart. Then, when she was almost safe on the other side, her hoof slipped on an unseen rock and she lurched sideways, drenching herself in the cold water. She came up spluttering, feeling like a clumsy lump of uselessness, and was surprised to see that Raven had grabbed her mane, helping her find her footing on the rocky bank. She would have balked at the closeness of it, still wary of him, but could only sigh in relief as she found dry ground again. She panted, trying to catch her breath, ashamed of her clumsiness. Then she realized that the large stallion was still close to her, staring at her intently, and she shrank back inside herself, falling silent with no idea of what to say.

Raven understood what she meant when she spoke of needing solitude. He had the same feelings often times, and still did not like to linger in large groups. He simply did not feel what others felt, that lightening happiness of every aspect of life. He had seen too much sorrow, and no one really understood his moodiness. Thus, he avoided as much as he could.

He realized that she was indeed on the wrong side of the stream, and was about to offer his assistance to her (yes, he didn't like to offer, but she seemed to need some help), but she acted too fast and stepped into the swirling water before he could speak. She seemed to have sure footing right until the end, when she slipped on something and dunked herself beneath the water. He reacted instantly, surprised at his actions, and darted forward to grab her mane and pull her back up. He held a soft but firm grip, not wanting to hurt her or break her hair with his sharper fang teeth. When she was finally on safe ground again with steady legs, he let go, letting his eyes search her body for any signs of injury. Her ankle was a bit scratched, probably from rocks, but she seemed otherwise intact.

Her renewed fear, of course, did not escape his notice.

He searched for something to say, but simply asked, "Are you alright?" He took a step back to allow her room, not wanting to crowd her. He was quite larger than her, but he didn't mind it. Her small size simply added to her beauty and litheness.

Liella was glad for the extra space that he gave her. She willed herself to move, telling herself that she had nothing to fear. He had just helped her out, hadn't he? If he had wanted to hurt her, he wouldn't have saved her from the water, and surely would have attacked her already. He was still very respectful of her feelings, and for that she was able to relax a little.

Her ankle was a little sore, but it could still bear weight. She looked back at her sopping body, wishing for a warm fire to dry herself. Too bad only the two-leggers knew how to start them. Her adornments seemed to be in place as well, except for the bow in her tail--it had somehow come undone, and hung wetly from where it was fastened. She sighed, wandering if someone would be able to tie it again for her. Not many had the skill that she wished for. If only she could tie it herself!

"I am well, thank you," she whispered, turning back towards the stallion. She willed herself to look up then, just then realizing how large he really was, but she refused to shrink away again. It probably hurt him too to see that she rejected him. He deserved better, surely.

"T-thank you, for saving me. That... it was very kind of you. I could have drowned, with it being as dark as it is." She looked up into his eyes, wandering what she would find there. But he hid his feelings well, and all that met her were the red orbs surrounded by the sea of black. Such strange eyes... and she had judged him by them. She felt very shallow all of a sudden.

"I'm not sure if you know me, but my name is Liella. And... and I know that yours is Raven. I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way... I've just not had a good past with kalonas." She faltered for a moment, realizing how rude that might have been, and she looked down, her face reddening again. "I mean, not that you're a kalona! I know you're not like them... oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to say it like that. I'm so sorry!" Again, she had blundered. She wouldn't blame him if he left her alone because of it. It was likely that he was shunned by most because of his appearance, and she had appeared to be just as shallow as those individuals.

Though he didn't smile often, the mare's soft voice and pure aura made a corner of his mouth twitch upward, and he bowed his head to her. "I would not have stood by when you were in need. You are quite welcome." He let her gaze at him, knowing that she was trying to find out more about him, but still didn't allow her to see past his barrier. He found that he liked her, but he still didn't feel comfortable with sharing some of his deepest thoughts with her. Perhaps... another time.

He watched as she blundered, not surprised by what she said at first, but strangely accepting of her when she tried to correct herself. Yes, she had the same feelings as others. But, instead of feeling pain and anger, he instead felt a sense of acceptance. She wasn't ignorant like the others were, and she didn't pity him. She wanted to accept him, to make him feel as if he was not different. And at least she was truthful, and did not spit secrets behind his back. There was a youthfulness in her soul, though he too sensed the sorrow that hung around her. At her words, he wondered if perhaps she too had more to her life than she wished to share.

He reached forward and touched her forehead with his nose, instantly quieting her. He felt her shiver, but she did not pull back, and he was glad. "Do not be sorry. I am not offended by what you say or feel. In fact, I understand. I am what I am, and it will always affect those around me." He pulled away, looking down at her with an intent gaze.

"I don't want you to be afraid of me. You're not like the others... there's something inside you, and because of that, you understand. Don't you?" He gazed at her, unwavering. He didn't mean to be so forward, but he sensed that he was right. She was grieving, he could sense it in her. And, though he hid it from those around him, so was he.

Liella looked back up at him, taking in the strong-set features, the dark eyes, the delicate curl of his horns, the strong muscles beneath his coat and the bright sheen of his feathers. He was marvelous, she couldn't lie to herself. And he was so strong, so devoted, so set on his course as if he were made of stone. And yet, here he was, talking to her, admitting that they shared a common grief. She didn't want to admit it either, but those eyes saw straight through her soul. He knew.

"I'm not afraid. I don't know what I feel. I think... I think that you'll see my faults. You are right... there's a dark thing inside me. And no matter how I try, I can't get it out!" She let out a pained gasp, dropping her head so that her damp hair hid her eyes. The tears came evenly, and she stood there, her sides heaving as she cried. She was too upset to be embarrassed, though she wished that she hadn't broken down so easily. But his words were true, and she had to face herself. Everything that had happened to her and her children had been her fault, and she couldn't undo it. She just had to face it.

"I... I'm sorry. You can leave, if you want. This is a horrible way to introduce myself. You... you probably think that I'm some psychopath, don't you? Breaking down and crying at every little thing!" She shook her head, her voice breaking, but was startled at the soft touch of a wing on her shoulder. She looked up to see Raven looking at her, no pity or anger in his eyes. They simply... looked at her.

Raven didn't expect her to start crying, and hadn't meant to upset her so, but he wasn't used to social meetings and hadn't trained his words enough. A wave of guilt hit him, and though he would have readily walked away to leave her alone, he knew that he should stay. He really wasn't an expert at comfort, and hadn't been ever since the hardening of his heart when his family was murdered. But this mare was suffering just like him, and he had delved too far into her feelings. She deserved better, surely.

He laid a wing on her shoulder, offering her awkward support. Her cries softened, and she looked up at him, her bright eyes red-rimmed from the tears.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been so harsh. I didn't mean to upset you. Please, don't cry." He stood there, hushing her as a mother might have, and she eventually began to quiet, her breathing returning to normal. He removed his wing and glanced into the trees, now covered with nighttime shadows. The fireflies danced within them, giving off an eerie, yet comforting, glow.

"Well... perhaps we should start over," he muttered, giving his wings a little flurry. He bowed his head to her, letting his ears drift back in respect. "My name is Raven. And I am pleased to finally meet you, Liella. Will you allow me to lead you home?"

Liella was finally able to stop her cries, though thoughts of her daughters still thrashed about in her mind. However, Raven's soothing voice took hold over her, and she found that she wanted nothing but to hear that voice. He really wasn't a monster, he only kept things hidden, just like her. And sometimes, through some emotions that couldn't be stopped, those things emerged. She found that yes, she did understand him, and that it wasn't him that she was afraid of. She was afraid of herself, and what stupid things she might do to hurt the ones she loved. She only wanted to live again, to dance and sing in the moonlight! Was it too much to ask?

"I haven't exactly been the most gracious either, Raven. But... I am glad to have met you as well." She gave a small smile, shaking her still damp bangs out of her eyes. "And I would be in your debt if you accompanied me. These lands... have not been the safest as of late." She glanced into the trees, the fireflies stirring songs in her heart. She used to dance between those trees, with the moon and the stars at her back. SHe had been so carefree... could Raven see that in her? The part of her that led a happy life? It still lived in her, and she wished that she could show him.

She nodded to the stallion, who came up alongside her. They stepped into the trees, and another breeze made her shiver. Ah, the fall was coming. Perhaps she should have skipped her bath. The touch of a wing made her jump, but she turned to see Raven glancing at her with a question in his eyes. She gave a small nod, her heart skipping, and he curled two of his wings around her, offering her his warmth. All of a sudden, she felt young again, as if this was the first stallion she had ever met. Well... he might as well be. She hadn't met many others, and those she had, she hadn't allowed to be this close.

"T-thank you," she whispered, keeping her eyes averted in awkwardness, but relishing the warmth beside her.

Raven could see that Liella was chilled, and it was that reason that he offered her his own warmth, though not without asking her permission. It felt strange to be so near a mare again, for he hadn't paid any much heed after his lifemate had been murdered. But seeing the small, delicate mare shiver in the breeze sent a protective wave through his heart, and he acted without much thought. Perhaps... perhaps it was her spirit that led his actions. He liked to think so... liked to think that perhaps she wanted him to find happiness in life again.

He shook the thoughts away. No, he couldn't be giving in, not yet. He still had to hunt the others down and make them pay for murdering his family! And he had only just met this mare, but still... something in her called to him. He was content to make her comfortable for the moment, and he prayed that these feelings were only those of a fool wishing for company.

"You're welcome," he replied, looking down at her. He thought that she too felt the awkward attraction, but kept the thoughts to himself. But the silence felt too heavy, and he felt as if he must say something.

Without thinking, he said, "My lifemate. And my son. They were murdered because of me. It was because my kalona father couldn't stand the thought of his blood being tainted by an angeni. He wanted me killed too, but his friends thought it would be more fun to watch me suffer. Thus, I live, and have been hunting down the killers ever since... That's how I came to be here. I... I was injured in a fight." He took a deep breath, panicked that he had revealed so much. He never spoke of this to anyone! Why did he say it now? And would she see him differently? Perhaps as a danger? As... a murderer?

"Liella..." he whispered, looking away. He expected her to be frightened and surprised, to pull away. But she stayed with him. He glanced at her, his dark eyes widening.

Liella almost expected to hear his story. It was surprising, yes, but she didn't shy away from him. It saddened her and made her finally feel pity for someone other than herself. Though his words were plain and vague, she had an idea of what had happened to him. It was horrible. She couldn't imagine a family murdered before his eyes, and then him having to live through it afterwards. What happened to her was bad, yes, but not like this. There was still a chance that her daughters were alive--Raven's family was truely dead, and would never find their way home.

"Raven, I'm so sorry. I... I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry." She leaned in to him, laying her head against her shoulder. The touch may have been too intimate, but as far as she knew, it was a comforting touch that could make you feel best.

They stopped walking, and stood like that for some time. She could sense the tenseness in his muscles, the strength just below his skin. Even his scent was strangely calming and protective--the smell of sandalwood with a touch of mountain air. She breathed in deep, letting herself forget the forest around her. For a moment, they understood eachother. They were strong, with eachother.

"I had children..." she whispered, closing her eyes and focusing on the warmth against her cheek. "A son, two daughters. I was too young and very foolish when I conceived them, with a stranger I didn't even know. But I convinved myself that I could be a mother. I was wrong." She took a moment and steadied herself, clearing her throat. "I gave my son to his father, and haven't seen him since. And my daughters... well, one had a mind that did not grow past the intelligence of a foal, all because I let her basket roll into a stream. And not too long ago, she was stolen from me by a kalona. And my other daughter... she ran off. And... I can't find either of them. I can't find them... and I'm so afraid. It's all my fault..." Her voice caught in her throat, and she pulled back, blinking her eyes to drive away the tears.

Raven stood silent for a moment, letting the wave of grief wash over him. What he had heard was definitely not expected from the little mare--he hadn't even known that she had produced children before. In fact, she still didn't possess the aura of a mother--her frame was still small and lithe, her face glowed with youth, and her voice still had the sing-song quality of one who is used to freedom and innocence. However, despite the youthful light of her features, he could sense her sorrow and distress from the very beginning. He had, of course, attributed it to himself, but now knew that his presence was not the driving factor of her pain.

"You have been through much..." he murmured, looking down at her in empathy. Suddenly, his own problems were lessened. Whereas he had been wallowing in his self-pity, he now realized that he wasn't the only one who had screwed up in life. Why had he been so selfish?

"I didn't realize that there were others like me. Ones who have suffered... perhaps that is why I cannot always stand the presence of others. I never think that they will understand." He moved forward, dipping his head to touch the tears on her cheek. He finally let his emotion pour out to her, through his dark eyes into her bright ones.

"It's not your fault, what happened to your children. It is... simply the way that fate works." He straightened, giving her a confident look. "And there is no reason why you might not find them in the future. This kalona did not kill them, did he? Where there is life, there is always hope." He barely recognized his own words as he spoke them. For some reason, this mare was able to stir the light of compassion within him, and he was able to look past his own insecurities to help her with hers.

But do I still have hope? he wondered.

Liella looked back up into the dark eyes of Raven, his words stirring hope in her heart. She still felt guilt, but it was comforting that someone who had shared her same predicament was able to tell her that she was not in the wrong. It was easy for a friend, such as Kanani, to tell her that the incident was completely not her fault, and that things would be alright. But what did she truly understand of Liella's situation? Kanani had six beautiful children, all of whom she knew were alive and well. Liella hadn't seen any of her three for months.

"I always pray that I will find them..." she whispered, looking away into the shadows of the woods. She could imagine the pale form of her daughter Cherish standing there, singing her beautiful songs and smiling her innocent smile. Then she could see Ianthe beside her, the darker blue of her coat strikingly familiar to her father's coat, who, even now, was simply a distant blur of a memory in Liella's mind. But her daughters were perfect, even if they were the product of a drunken escapade. She couldn't have asked for more perfect daughters...

Oh, spirits, how she missed them!

"But I don't know how, Raven. This kalona... he has allies. Other kalonas who serve him. They wouldn't think twice about ripping me apart. And that's only to find Cherish." She sighed, turning back to the Angeni-kalona. "Ianthe ran off into the woods, so far away that I couldn't follow. And I have no idea where she went. How can I possibly find them?"

Raven thought for a second. Liella was right... she couldn't search for her daughters by herself and dare hope to find them. Especially with information of a group of kalonas. His ears perked, and a shine came over his eyes. A group... perhaps one of the kalonas who had attacked his family would be found in this group? Perhaps he would be able to exact revenge on his enemies, while at the same time be able to help Liella. The thought was a tempting one. He had planned on leaving Haven in a few days, but now, after spending time with this beautiful young mare, who shared so many things with him... he didn't think that he'd be able to part with her.

"Perhaps... perhaps I can help..." he said, fixing a hopeful gaze on her. The blood pumped faster through his body as he thought of his dagger plunging into the heart of some winged, sharp-toothed beast. Then he felt disgust at himself, for feeling such pleasure in killing while in the presence of a lady. But still... this is what his life was for now, was it not? To revenge, to strengthen, to live? For what else could he do? He couldn't let his attackers remain alive to kill more innocent strangers... and what if they had played the part in the abduction of Liella's child?

"This kalona might have been in league with my father when he conspired to kill my family. If that is so... then I will only be too happy to kill him for you, as well as any others who threaten to harm you or your family. I am a fairly experienced warrior, and I promise not to fail you." He knew that the statement might unnerve her a bit, but he wanted her to know that she had his word. He bowed his head to her, his bangs falling messily over his eyes.

Liella was shocked to hear his words. She hadn't expected him to help her, nonetheless promise he wouldn't fail. She certainly had never had anyone swear themselves to her like this, or even offer to help her. All her life, she had been viewed as the dancing sprite, the childish mare who only sang and rejoiced. Never was she thought to have some grievances or need of help, and neither had anyone wanted to help her, except for Kanani, of course.

"I...I..." she stuttered, looking down at his bowed head. Once again, her eyes rested on his horns, curling so wickedly and gracefully up from the back of his ears. However, she wasn't afraid this time. She saw them as a promise, a strength, meant to display his courage and confidence. Perhaps he was different, and the world had a hard time accepting him. But was she not similar?

"Does this mean... that you will stay? That you're not going to leave?" she asked, her heart giving a little flutter. Why was she feeling this way? Why had her grief suddenly dissipated, giving way to hope and this tingly feeling? And why did she have the sudden urge to stand beside him, to feel his wings giving her warmth yet again?

"Raven... will you stay? Stay with me?" she asked, her voice light and hopeful, the brush of spring coolness. She took a step forward, coming close to his side, and then pressed her small cheek against his larger one. She the warmth there, the power beneath his dark coat in the form of strong muscles. She felt his pain, felt it as her own, but also felt the shiver of excitement run through his flesh at her touch. Through eachother, the could be redeemed. She need only trust him, and he her.

Raven accepted her touch, leaning in to her small body. He should have pulled away, should have felt resentment towards new love when he had lost his lifemate only months before. But something in his heart was urging him forward, making him speak out instead of hiding in the shadows. Once again, the necklace at his breast tingled, heating, and he could hear her whispering to him, calling him. "Raven... do not be afraid. Live, and be free."

And with that, he accepted the emotion that filled him, and let it spill out in a sudden smile while his eyes filled with tears. Was this how it felt to let go? To finally break the manacles that had been holding you back for so long?

"No. I am not leaving," he murmured, turning his muzzle into the cool darkness of Liella's mane. He breathed deep of her scent--pine and mint, with a hint of delicate blue bell. She was the embodiment of grace itself. Why hadn't he noticed how beautiful she was?

"I will stay. With you." And they stood embracing, as the shadows and fireflies danced between the trees.