User Image User Image

She was in a panic.... there had been news that a new litter had been born, nothing unusual in that, but she had also picked up the rumour that the new father was coming up to see the place where his cubs would be raised, and who would do that raising.. something about wanting to be sure it was suitable...? Tahirah was a little fuzzy on that part but the mere mention of an inspection had sent the young nanny into a flying panic. Of course parents came to visit every now and then, some more than others, but this was the first time she herself would be looked at and she felt utterly sure she would fail what ever test this male had in mind.

Frantic yet unwilling to upset the cubs still in the den and not with the other nannys, she struggled to keep her movements calm and slow as she tidied the den, sweeping out the leftovers from breakfast, straightening the reed bedding she prepared each night, moving her 'work' to the back so it woud be out of the way, the half-chewed reeds weren't ready as bedding yet they seemed rather random to her, resting by the entrance as they usually did... and she didn't want the male getting the wrong idea about them. Puffing out her cheeks she cast worried eyes about the den again, trying to find anything that looked wrong.. but the cubs were splayed about in various stages of sleep or play after their breakfast and the majority were outside with the other nannies she worked with, giving lessons on pouncing to the older ones or telling stories to the younger.

Kuhesh was a barely contained nervous wreck. So many things hadn't gone the way he'd planned, or the way they were supposed to, and though some things he'd accepted (he was suddenly a father, and he was going to stay here, and Amu was wonderful and around her he felt like something more than he was) there were others he still didn't know about. For example, he was a FATHER...Okay, so maybe he hadn't wrapped his mind around that yet.

He felt he could never thank the gods enough for spreading his curse to the cubs. There had been so, so many of them. More than he'd imagined could be in a litter. And all of them were unique and very healthy. He'd been blessed, and was going to do all he could to take care of the cubs, and be sure the way was made for them to live the best lives they could. Starting with a visit to the nannies. He understood that often lions didn't raise their own young, but those were THEIR cubs. These were HIS. It was totally different.

He sulked up to the dens, eyeing the various cubs with a straight-lipped face that was likely stern to some, a bit frightening to others, but to him it was only neutral. He spotted a lioness who seemed to not have any cubs around her at the moment, and he raised his head, sizing her up. "I'm here to see where my children will be raised." His words were gruff and seemed to be more a command than a statement.

Tahirah had happened ot be looking out the den's entrance just as he arrived. Well, she assumed it was him... big.. male.. scary looking.... Swallowing around the sudden lump in her throat she plastered a slightly nervous smile on her maw and padded forwards to meet him, tail curling worridly behind her. He was so... Big... and well.. Male.. Closing her eyes a moment to get a handle on her run away emotions, she released a deep breath and then tried again, smiling this time with less nervous energy and more like her usual self when he finally reached her.

Tahirah was fairly small even for a young female and she had to tip her head back as she looked up at him when he spoke. Her dark eyes was gentle, if a bit shy and the smile on her muzzle was warm and welcoming. Though her tail seemed a little active as it curled and twisted behind her. Her voice when she spoke was soft and very gentle, the kind of voice that envoked comfort and care and family. "Hello sir." Politely she stepped aside so he coud see into the den, her slender, lithe body moving easily around the few cubs napping around her paws. "This is the main den for the cubs and nannies. They sleep and play here as well as outside." Ducking her head slightly she backed up, inviting him inside. "There are several nannies aside form myself, but the rest are all with the cubs right now. I am sure they will speak to you if you wish though." Pausing she glanced around, habitualy checking on the youngsters arrayed around the large den. "Is there anyhting in particular you want to ask or see?" Turning back to him she smiled again, a shy but honest smile.

Her gentle welcoming mood went a good way towards soothing some of his fears. She seemed nice enough, and the cubs all looked well fed and happy. But still, she had clearly known he was coming. This could all be a set up just to get him to leave his cubs there. What if...(paranoia briefly gripped him)...what if they knew he was a 'bad' lion? And they were going to get rid of the cubs?!

He stuffed those feelings down deep inside. He'd found no one that shared his old beliefs in this place, and Amu had reassured him that no one would judge him. The cubs had been so perfect though, and he was astoundingly defensive of them. He gave a short huff and a nod to show he'd both heard and understood the lioness' information, and followed her in silence into the den. His eyes darted ehre and there. The walls seemed smooth and free from rocks or outcroppings that might harm a cub that ran into one. The floor was dry and warm, and padded here and there with reeds or furs.

"Tell me. How often do the cubs rest? And they are fed, correct? Give me the full day's routine for your youngest cubs."

His gruff demeanour was a little less frightening now that he was up close, as she could sense the genuine worry in him for his cubs. That alone made er warm up to him considerably, as any father who wanted to check on his cub's future home had to be a good one. Quietly she stood a little way into the den, watching him look around. One of the cubs mewled, clearly dreaming, and Tahirah padded over quietly, dipping to lick the youngster's ruff and purr softly to him. Soon enough he settled down with a sigh, small body relaxing. Smiling gently she tucked his tail in carefully then backed up, making sure he still slept before returning to her guest. It was clear she was comfortable here with the pride's young. Her gaze gentle as she watched the cubs around them.

Once the male spoke again she turned back to him, head tilting slightly. "Of course they are fed... and they rest when they need to. We put them to bed each night just as the sun starts to go down and most of them will sleep throughout the night. Breakfast is early morning as soon as the first hunters get back with a kill. Then its lessons and play time, depending on their ages. The older ones get taught history, culture and hunting. If they show interest in any specific rank we begin their teaching, though they can always change their minds. One of the younger females is determined to become a nanny like us and she loves to help out with caring for the others, its adorable." Tahirah smiled warmly, briefly distracted by her memories. "Mm.. they eat again around late morning and nap afterwards. The older ones have free time where they can play or rest or otherwise enjoy themselves, and they are always watched if they go outside the den. After they wake its lessons or play time, again depending on their ages. Then afternoon meal, which is our biggest of the day. The younger ones will sleep again after that, but most of the older ones will occupy themselves as it is their own time, no more lessons that day. Bathing and cleaning take place just before bed for the night." Pausing she motioned to the piles of fur and reeds that filled the den. "They sleep on the beds though sometimes they choose not to, we let them decide. They also generally stay in their litter group and we are very careful to keep litters together, though friendships between them are obviously encouraged." Pausing she blinked, ear twitching as she struggled to think of anything else that he might want to know as she looked round, checking again on the slumbering piles of fluff.

He watched intently as she tended the stirring cub, noting how gentle she was, and that she even disregarded himself until it was obviously the little one was going to be alright. That was a good sign, one of dedication to one's work, and he tallied up a positive mark in his head.

"It sounds like they will have a full day. You have enough nannies to mind them all during their off time? That is impressive. And what of family visitations? I would like, understandably of course, to be able to stop in now and then and see how they are doing, and to be sure they do not forget me." He seemed a littler worried about that. Spending each day, day after day away from their parents. Would any parent-child bond remain after so long? "And at what age are they released from your care? I also assume any incidents pertinent to their health and development would be reported to their parents?"

Returning to his side after she was sure the cubs were all sleeping peacfully, she listened, nodding slowly as he outlined his points. "They do.. cubs need to be kept busy or at least active. A bored cub will swiftly get him or herself into trouble in some fashion." She smiled gently, clearly used to the results of a moment's bordom. "Of course families are welcome when ever they wish to visit, they are still the parents after all and we are not here to seperate families, but to asure the youngstrs have access to everything we can offer them." Pausing she gave him a reasuring smile. "We are not your replacement, we are your helpers... think of us more like aunts and uncles... or older sisters and brothers. That is the kind of relationship we have with the youths here." Pausing a moment she seemed to consider somehting. "With visitation, we only ask that you don't visit during the late evening or at night when we are putting them to bed. Excitment to near bedtime will keep all of them up for hours. But of course, if thats the only time you are free, we can always work something out.. maybe bringing the cubs down to meet you or something of that nature. The walk would give them time to calm down on the way back here."

Pausing again as she listened to him, she nodded slowly, expression thoughtful. "Well.. it really depends on the cub in question.Some of them are ready to leave us as fairly young juvaniles, others stay on until the are adolescents... we let them decide really, when they feel comfortable enough to go and start their mature lives among the pride. And yes, any issue we have we would report to the parents of course. We can also give you regular reports of their progress if you would like that. We are always here to come and talk to." Smiling with reasurance she had to resist the urge to pat him on the shoulder. He seemed to concerned about everything, she only hoped she could reasure him they were there to help him and his family..

He listened intently and then nodded. It seemed like they really did tend to the cubs' needs. And he of course did plan to visit often. Surely Amu would too. Between the lot of them things would certainly work out.

That brought another question to mind. He thought about asking it for a while. Hadn't he troubled the lioness enough? She should be minding the cubs. One more perhaps wouldn't hurt. "And would you personally be looking out for them? Or would all the nannies work in rotation? I assume they're all as dedicated and capable as you, correct?"

Relaxed now that she had become accustomed to his sheer size and well.. pressence, she had settled and was confident in her position wiht the cubs and was perfectly content explaining it all to him, her earlier fears proving entirly unfounded. Smiling encouragingly as she saw him struggling with something, she waited patiently, just like she did with the cubs she cared for. Finalyl he asked what was bothering him and she chuckled softly, the sound warm and gentle, understanding.

"I will be, thogh of course we do work in rotation so there is always someone awake when the others ar resting. But I spend most of my time here so I am usually around even when Im not on duty." Smiling warmly she reached out and touched his shoulder with her paw briefly, unthinkgingly as she sought to reasure him. "Every one is as dedicated and as competant as me, most are more so as I am still young and some of my mentors here have been nannys for years."

He nodded. Of course they would, that made sense. He decided that he trusted Tahirah most of the nannies, if only because he'd spent the most time with her, but he also would value and respect her judgements of her coworkers. His treasured children would probably thrive here, he came to accept.

Her paw on his shoulder made him immediately tense, thinking Can she feel the difference? I don't think I feel different from a whole lion, but mayeb she can tell... and the like. A flutter of panic made him get quickly to his feet and start backing out of the den. He swiftly managed to regain his composure, but he continued making his way out. He'd seen what he came to see, after all.

He cleared his throat and took a deep breath of fresh air once he was out of the den. The light was almost blinding compared to the dim cave, but it felt good. "Thank you for meeting me here today, and assuaging my concerns. I am sure you understand why I would be worried, but now I feel much more at ease."

The sudden retreat wasn't a total surprise, he seemed fairly skittish for such a big male. Still, smiling gently she padded after him after once more checking the cubs hadn't been disturbed by the visit. Dipping her head politely to him, she smiled again, expression as gentle as her manner had been. "Of course, it is always a pleasure to help allieviate any concerns. And please, feel free to come round any time, the cubs love visits from their parents of course and I am more than happy to speak to you about their progress wen ever you wish." It was obvious that she hadn't 'felt' anything or changed her manner towards him, her gaze was just as gentle and kind as before and she didn't try to kepe any distance between them, rather she wa ssimply a very polite and friendly, if young, lioness who loved her job and doted on the cubs in her care.