Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Alternative Lifestyles Guild

Back to Guilds

A safe place for anyone who identifies with the LGBTQ(IP) community and their allies. 

Tags: lesbian, gays, queer, transgender, LGBT 

Reply 03. Entertainment [Music, Art, Television, Movies, etc.]
LGBTQA Reading List

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kaiju Koi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:20 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Discussion is encouraged!
If you want to add something to the list, please use the POST FORM!

This topic DOES include graphic novels, just make a note somewhere
about it if you are submitting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:21 am
-------------------THE READING LIST-------------------
by author's last name

Nancy Garden
Annie on My Mind
This groundbreaking book is the story of two teenage girls whose friendship blossoms into love and who, despite pressures from family and school that threaten their relationship, promise to be true to each other and their feelings. This book is so truthful and honest, it has been banned from many school libraries and even publicly burned in Kansas City.

Jonathan Rauch
Gay marriage: why it is good for gays, good for straights, and good for America
[NON-FICTION] The controversy over gay marriage has reached a critical point in American political life as liberals and conservatives have begun to mobilize around this issue, pro and con. But no one has come forward with a compelling, comprehensive, and readable case for gay marriage-until now.
Jonathan Rauch, one of our most original and incisive social commentators, has written a clear and honest manifesto explaining why gay marriage is important-even crucial-to the health of marriage in America today. Rauch grounds his argument in commonsense, mainstream values and confronting the social conservatives on their own turf. Gay marriage, he shows, is a "win-win-win" for strengthening the bonds that tie us together and for remaining true to our national heritage of fairness and humaneness toward all.

Julie Anne Peters
grl2grl: Short fictions
In this honest, emotionally captivating short story collection, renowned author and National Book Award finalist Julie Anne Peters offers a stunning portrayal of young women as they navigate the hurdles of relationships and sexual identity. From the young lesbian taking her first steps toward coming out to the two strangers who lock eyes across a crowded train, from the transgender teen longing for a sense of self to the girl whose abusive father has turned her to stone, Peters is the master of creating characters whose own vulnerability resonates with readers and stays with them long after the last page is turned. Grl2grl shows the rawness of teenage emotion as young girls become women and begin to discover the intricacies of love, dating and sexuality.

Julie Anne Peters
Keeping You a Secret
With a steady boyfriend, the position of Student Council President, and a chance to go to an Ivy League college, high school life is just fine for Holland Jaeger. At least it seems to be. But when Cece Goddard comes to school, everything changes. Cece and Holland have undeniable feelings for each other, but how will others react to their developing relationship? This moving love story between two girls is a worthy successor to Nancy Garden's classic young adult coming out novel, Annie on My Mind. With her characteristic humor and breezy style, Peters has captured the compelling emotions of young love.]

Michelle Tea
Rose of No Man's Land
Following on the heels of her graphic novel Rent Girl (2005), the award-winning Valencia (2001), about San Francisco prostitution, and The Beautiful (2003), a collection of poetry, Rose of No Man's Land is Tea's first novel. Critics describe it as raw, honest, confident, hilarious, unpretentious, cynical, and poignant—and agree that among coming-of-age novels, Tea's voice rings true. Narrated by Trisha, the novel takes place over one day, which stretched credibility for some critics. Yet Tea's first-person narrator and defiant sidekick, as well as her fantastic observations of pop culture, won critics over. Notes the San Francisco Chronicle: "Trisha refuses to become a poster child for what is wrong with youth today, and instead becomes what is most important of all, herself."

Sarah Waters
Tipping the Velvet
The heroine of Sarah Waters's audacious first novel knows her destiny, and seems content with it. Her place is in her father's seaside restaurant, shucking shellfish and stirring soup, singing all the while. "Although I didn't long believe the story told to me by Mother--that they had found me as a baby in an oyster-shell, and a greedy customer had almost eaten me for lunch--for eighteen years I never doubted my own oysterish sympathies, never looked far beyond my father's kitchen for occupation, or for love." At night Nancy Astley often ventures to the nearby music hall, not that she has illusions of being more than an audience member. But the moment she spies a new male impersonator--still something of a curiosity in England circa 1888--her years of innocence come to an end and a life of transformations begins.

--------------------------------------------------------FOR FURTHER READING, CHECK OUT THIS SITE.--------------------------------------------------------

Kaiju Koi

Kaiju Koi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:22 am
POST FORM
Please make sure whatever you are submitting has a theme relevant to this guild.

Author's full name
[size=18][b]Title[/b][/size]
[i]Description [/i]

It should look like this:

Julia Anne Peters
Keeping You a Secret
With a steady boyfriend, the position of Student Council President, and a chance to go to an Ivy League college, high school life is just fine for Holland Jaeger. At least it seems to be. But when Cece Goddard comes to school, everything changes. Cece and Holland have undeniable feelings for each other, but how will others react to their developing relationship? This moving love story between two girls is a worthy successor to Nancy Garden's classic young adult coming out novel, Annie on My Mind. With her characteristic humor and breezy style, Peters has captured the compelling emotions of young love.]  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:58 am
[----------reserved---------]

Kaiju Koi

Kaiju Koi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:59 am

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:02 am

Kaiju Koi

Kaiju Koi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:04 am

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:05 am

Kaiju Koi

Kaiju Koi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:09 am

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:10 pm
leewind.org

Mazzie Bell

7,500 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Kaiju Koi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:13 pm
Mazzie Bell
leewind.org

Well.
Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.
xD

Actually, since there are so darn many, here's what I'll do.
I'll post whatever people from this guild recommend and can
verify is a good read. And I'll link to this site for further reading.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:19 pm
Kaiju Koi
Mazzie Bell
leewind.org

Well.
Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.
xD

Actually, since there are so darn many, here's what I'll do.
I'll post whatever people from this guild recommend and can
verify is a good read. And I'll link to this site for further reading.

Goooooood idea ;D
In that case, I recommend:
Hello, Groin by Beth Goobie
all books by David Levithan
Fruit, aka The Secret Fruit of Peter Paddington by Brian Francis
The God Box by Alex Sanchez
Down to the Bone
Saints of Augustine
and Luna
I don't have any adult suggestions though, I haven't had much time to read since becoming one D:

Mazzie Bell

7,500 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Sith_kitty_gay_boi

Magic Smoker

11,015 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:28 am
the dreams of fire and gods : its a great fantasy novel set with the to main characters slowly fall in love but one is a noble turn prince and the other was raised in the wild by fey  
03. Entertainment [Music, Art, Television, Movies, etc.]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games