Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Back to Guilds

WHERE IT IS ALWAYS HALLOWEEN (and sometimes exams) 

Tags: Halloween, Demons, Monsters, Roleplay, Academy 

Reply { Guides & Resources } ----- OOC RP Guides and resources
[GUIDE] ROLEPLAYING AND PLOTTING FAQ

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TiH Helpful Guide
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:20 am
TiH Roleplay Guide & FAQ

This guide is intended for official players - i.e. those with officially enrolled Amityville Academy students or Hunters! Please note that quest characters cannot be RPed in the main forum, nor can they have dorm rooms (journals) or join classes. Quest characters can sometimes join in the fun during special events, though - keep an eye on the main thread for more information and announcements!

------------------

Where can I RP my character?

Nearly all roleplays should be posted in the main TiH guild forum! All Hunter roleplays, unless directed by a GM, should be posted in the main Deus Ex Machina guild forum.

The only exceptions are approved club roleplays, which go in the Student Clubs subforum.

What do things like [PRP], [ORP], etc. mean?

These are helpful tags that indicate what kind of roleplay is in that thread! [PRP] means private RP. You should never post in a PRP unless you are invited to do so! [ORP] means open RP. This means you may post in the thread without a direct invitation, though you should always read the first post of any ORP to make sure the thread is right for your character! Some ORPs are limited to a smaller group, like a party thread for only demon characters.

What kinds of roleplay are acceptable?

Any kind you like! You can do group roleplay, one-on-one, or write solos (a scene in which only your character is present). Every kind of RP has the potential to count towards a growth point for your character - for more information on growth points, read this thread.

As for roleplay rules, we follow the Daisy Code here at TiH. Please click that link and read it thoroughly! Repeated godmoding and other inappropriate behavior in RP (from an OOC standpoint) will not be tolerated.

I don't have anybody to RP with!

Check out the character plots and development subforum! Many other RPers have created plot threads there to help find RP partners and plots, and you can make one too if you like! If you want to rp with another student, don't be shy - ask politely and give it a shot!

What is the setting for TiH?

For Amityville Academy students: Amityville is a school-centric environment, revolving around classes and student events, with the occasional insane field trip. Students may freely interact with each other outside of classes as well! More information on Amityville Academy and the world of Halloween can be found in the appropriately-named World of Halloween subforum.

For Deus Ex Machina Hunters & Trainees: Deus Ex Machina is a pseudo-military organization dedicated to exposing and destroying dark creatures of FEAR. It is more disciplined than Amityville, and revolves around classes, training, and missions. Trainees may freely interact with each other outside of their assigned duties, though they are expected to keep themselves in line! More information on Deus Ex Machina and the Hunters can be found over in the Deus Ex Machina guild.

Can I rp my character's natural ability outside of battle?

Yes, you may! Unless a GM states that natural abilities are locked down in a particular RP, natural abilities can be freely used... though, naturally, your student may get into trouble if they use their fire breath in class!

Can I RP my character's FEAR ability (or Hunter charged weapon attack) outside of battle?

For FEAR abilities: You can only use your FEAR ability outside of battle if it's a solo practice - meaning there aren't any other characters around, just your character practicing. Using your ability on or even near another character in non-battle RP is not allowed!

For Hunters' charged weapon attacks: No, they are battle (or GM-run training) only.

How do natural forms work in Amityville?

All Amityville students wear skull pins as part of their 'uniform'! If your character's natural form is not humanoid naturally, then the skull pin magically forces them into a human shape for their classes and so on. It also adjusts height: if your character is naturally a tiny pixie or a giant, it would either grow them to 2 feet tall (minimum) or shrink them to 7-8 feet tall (maximum). This human shape matches their official student art!

If your student has a natural monstrous/non-humanoid form, they can switch between their humanoid (official art) form and their natural form either a.) outside or b.) in their dorm room. They cannot switch in a classroom, in the hallway, etc.! This is for the comfort of all students.

The only characters that can switch willy-nilly between a humanoid form and a monstrous/non-humanoid form are characters who have shapeshifting as a natural ability. For example, if you have a werewolf character whose natural ability is shapeshifting, they can shift between forms anywhere! However, if your character is naturally a giant snake, and does not have shapeshifting as a natural ability, they can only shift to their natural forms in approved areas.

Can I request RP with the NPCs?

Yes, you may! Feel free to request an RP with any active staff member. Simply PM the character's player and ask. You can even propose plot ideas if you'd like!

Please note: All characters, whether staff or otherwise, may NOT be played by anyone except their owners! If you want to interact with a staff-played character, you have to RP with that person, just as you would RP with another student. The only background 'staff' of Amityville Academy that you may use in passing are random background gnomes, cranky creatures who may supervise/do odd jobs around school.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:01 am
ROLEPLAY GUIDELINES AND THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND

These are roleplay guidelines that may pertain to prps or orps and even GM or event rps. Some of these are considered common daisy code behaviour etiquette, so please try to consider others when your roleplay your character. Doing so will make the experience not only better but also more convincing for your character as well. A lot of these simply re-clarify the Daisy Code.

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW GM EFFECTS CAREFULLY.

If a GM is posting with a special turn or post in a GM rp or Event rp. Read the FULL EFFECT of their status carefully. For example, if your character is captured, they are captured, they cannot attack someone else. If your character is paralyzed, they are paralyzed, they can't randomly run around and move and call on their uncle Bob. This will also allow GMs to continue on to their next plot posts easier instead of backtracking to fix a situation that a character just turned in their personal spotlighting favour.

PLEASE ALWAYS ASK FOR PERMISSION FROM THE OTHER PLAY WHEN RPING A CONSEQUENCE

This could be any kind of consequence. It's not hard to fling a pm or IM to your rper and ask them if this is okay. Not doing so will not only make your rper question what is going on, it will also make them highly uncomfortable. Remember common courtesy when it comes to rps, if you thing this is encroaching on their territory, a simple asking is fine! If your rper has given you full permission at the start of the rp to gm whatever they want, then you have been given the green light.
-Here are some common examples of gming another character without their permission:

• I am character A and I punch character B right in the face, sending them reeling back. While it is okay to say, my character A threw a punch at character B, it is probably not so wise to dictate exactly what happened to character B without asking for permission at some point in time.
  • I am character A and I purposely coerce character B into some sort of lewd/undesirable action. Basically, it is probably best to ASK your rper if it is okay to for example, get kissed/molested/ etc etc. You never know if your rper is simply uncomfortable with this action, as this is often a very touchy and open debate who's comfort levels differ from person to person.
  • I am character A and my Fear makes character B hallucinate illusions of ponies flying. At the beginning of a battle rp, it is probably good to get that rper's permission to do such things before you rp, it is simple etiquette!

Spotlight and spotlight sharing:

While it is great to have your character be the meanest, baddest person around there, when you start to create a plot for your character, keep in mind the best part: how your character affects or influences others. Your roleplay does not 100% have to be about your character or your circle of characters always: try to invite and experiment and even offer the opportunity for different interactions. This is more of a suggestion than anything else, but paving the way to help other players will only make the experience more enjoyable for you in the long run. For example: if I want to create a plot where my character fights against a Hunter, how can I make this plot also work for others/ my friends as well? Are they the ones that come with me/ save me in the end/ goad me into doing this thing? How will my character's decision affect theirs? It doesn't hurt to talk it out with all players too!

IC IS NOT EQUAL TO OOC.

As much as we love our characters we make, you really should not be deeply offended oocly by the player if their player does an undesirable action to your character icly. Try to icly come to terms with their decisions and respect it on an ooc basis. Your characters exist to tell a story, so let the writer tell their story and even, try to be a part of their storytelling world. If this is becoming a huge issue, please bring it to an admin and we'll help you guys from there! (Lizbot, Marushii, Zoobey, or of course, the mule)

OOC IS NOT EQUAL TO IC.

Even if you dislike a player, or for some reason have not gotten along with them in another shop, try to consider respecting them enough not to ignore them entirely from the roleplay or purposely antagonize them without reason. If this is becoming a huge issue, please bring it to an admin and we'll help you guys from there! (Lizbot, Marushii, Zoobey, or of course, the mule)

IC ACTIONS HAVE IC CONSEQUENCES.

If your character directly disobeys rules ICly, you can probably expect that there will be IC consequences and some light GM action. While we highly disapprove of retconning, it doesn't mean your character has all rights to do as they please far outside the realm of the established rules. If you would like to do something different or crazier, that is fine, but we need a PM just outlining what you'd like your character or characters to do and mostly why. It is just courtesy to us as GMs so that we can account for different character actions outside of the given prompts, and in addition, work with you INDIVIDUALLY to figure out appropriate consequences and potentially favourable results should you want your character to continue down that path.

IC KNOWLEDGE IS NOT OOC KNOWLEDGE

THIS IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT. If you as a player OOCLY know something due to reading some huge GM event that unravels, or even just read other peoples' rps, it does not mean that your character ICly knows. In fact they would not know unless someone told them, either through another player or GM. Please do not assume that your character automatically knows everything, that is spoiling half the fun! Who knows if you're talking to a regular Halloween student or a Hunter. Who knows if you know that you're leading your character down a path of sharp razor blades? Keep the tension exciting for your character: rping your character as they would ICly regard the situation without potential OOC knowledge also creates character depth. Characters don't always make the right choices!  

Zoobey
Artist

Magical Incubator

Zoobey
Artist

Magical Incubator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:25 am
I WANT TO CREATE LARGER PLOTS FOR MY CHARACTER!

Rping PRPS and general battle rps is fine, but now you've progressed to the point where you'd love to expand on yours and the character's setting to create rp plots WITH GM intervention. This means this is outside the realm of solos, affects a few other players, and most likely, will either require some sort of GM assistance icly or oocly.

- Larger plots or "plotting" are plots that will most likely have a sort of mental of physical toll on your character, other characters, and the overall shop storyline. Plots like these need GM approval, and first of all, a proposal.

DO I WANT TO CREATE A CHARACTER PROPOSAL?

This is up to each and every writer/rper. Some characters you simply want to create and roleplay just to carry on with their daily interactions. Others, you might not be adverse to changing their actions/thoughts/behaviour on a more permanent basis to create a larger sort of development. Before you decide on creating a plot proposal for your character, please keep in mind that time is an investment. It will probably take at least a couple of months to get everything established as the premises for your plot before you draw back the final curtains.
- If you simply want to special snowflake your character by making them stronger somehow through a power up, this is not the place to do this! Just like telling a story, a character influences others around them. Have their friends, npcs, or others influence their decisions to ultimately come up with a choice that could affect them all. How does your character contribute to the overall storytelling experience that is this shop? Do they make a decision that turns the tide over for one side or another?

I WANT TO CREATE A MINOR PLOT ONLY

If you are looking for something to only uniquely affect your character, or something more similar to your character powering/leveling up/ learning some sort of valuable experience through a gm, this is fine too, in which case, we don't need you to invest months to build up into it, but we also do need a reason to why and where you would like to go from there. Having an rp with a gm is fine to "Get stronger", but please propose the HOW. What actions can you see your character taking to get there? For example, your character gains a new familiar/ different weapon/ wings. How did this happen? Did they visit their family, come in contact with an NPC to ask for assistance/ fight against them, or even find help within their group of friends?

In addition, there is always the thread of meta sacrifice to throw your character into for a fun but more gm-influenced role.

WRITING A CHARACTER PROPOSAL

This is the hardest part, but also the most fun! First of all consider your own ooc schedule as an rper/writer. Do you have time to create a super in-depth intense plot that will suck out your soul? If not, consider how to make your plot work over a series of rps, or over a longer timespan instead of crunching it all into a series of days (which most likely, the gms cannot do as well).

- Second of all, outline really quickly these points in your proposal:

• Where is my character right now? What are their thoughts and feelings regarding their current setting/establishment/situation or even friends? What are potential conflicts you want to address from this?
  • What do I want to get out from this plot? Where will your character be AFTER all this is done. What is the intention of this plot?
  • How will this help with other characters as well? A plot proposal could simply be a solo if it just involves something like "making your character stronger". We need something that tells a whole story as well, and not just a simple train harder/ learn some valuable life experience moment.
  • What is the pivotal moment that will establish that conflict/tension for my character? Yes this IS your character's special snowflake moment, but what leads to it? What do they learn from it and consequently, does it match the consequences as listed above? Why would they make such a decision/ choice?
  • Is this possible to do within the current given setting/ GM scope? While asking your character to run out and have the biggest baddest boss fight with Hellma/ the Deus leaders is great, it probably is not the most practical of plots. There are setting limitations and there are personal character ability limitations (ie: yes, your character sadly, does not have infinite power levels), so its very very important to take these things into consideration. Your character is not all wise or powerful: perhaps their entire plot is that they made some sort of huge mistake and thus reap huge consequences in return!
  • Does my character have a certain strength or weakness? What are their personality quirks? Is there a weakness or a moment in their past/ history/ current state of family affairs or even existing affairs that can play on your character's instability or strength to make them either rise or fall from the situation? What would lead to such a thing.
  • Does my character have a backstory? This is very important when plotting! A backstory, or something that leads to the entire situation happening is what makes the plotting believable. What lead them down this road to the decision they made? Was it their family, their friends, their past, something that happened recently, or a mixture of all of the above?

Talk and plot with your friends and a GM!

When you are ready, simply submit a pm to WE ARE HALLOWEEN, or even fling ideas to work with with the mule to see what can or cannot be done. A GM WILL NEVER SAY NO FLAT OUT, but they will tell you whether or not an action is feasible or not based on the current setting. As admins, we promise never to flat out reject your plot, and will always work with it as best as we can. This does not mean you'll get 100% of what you wish for, or even 50%: there are many evident IC restrictions that do apply to plots in general, but it doesn't mean that we won't tweak certain things in your favour to help things work out! If you create enough backstory, explain the consequences and justify the behaviour, it will be very hard for us not to make everything work out for you. But please of course, only chew off what you can handle!  
{ Guides & Resources } ----- OOC RP Guides and resources

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games