Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Religious classification Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Beelzebunz

Tipsy Poster

6,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:56 pm
This might be a bit of a broad question, but I was wondering if the're religions, aside from satanists that intentionally communicate with demons?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:10 pm
well i guess exorcisms in Catholicism could count razz  

neko-mata-01

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:12 pm
Religions? I don't think so. Traditions? Certainly.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:44 pm
I will have to say yes to this one because there are several religions that don't view demons in the same way as the Abrahamic religions. Not all demons are considered evil. Sometimes demons are associated with spirits, the Ancient Greek word “daimon" means "spirit" or "divine power". The Ancient Egyptians viewed demons as being both "good" and "evil" and they viewed demons as a class of beings inbetween humans and the gods. Some Mesopotamian deities are viewed as or associated with demons in the Christian world, of course the names have been changed.
So polytheist who worship either the Ancient Egyptian or Mesopotamian religions could possibly communicate with demons. As for the Greeks, the poet Homer used the terms "demons" and "gods" more or less interchangeably.
Some schools of thought was that demons were intermediaries between men and gods, and that demons had once been men. Of course, these are all ancient religions but they are definitely still followed in the modern world and followers of any of these could intentionally communicate with their demons.
Sorry, I'm trying to summarize this as best as possible but there is soo much information on this topic.  

Underworld Priestess

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:14 am
you did a great job underworld. and totally said what i was going to, except probably like 3x better sweatdrop

lol anyways, yes. religions is a broad term as people interpret religions differently, but there are definitely parts or traditions of religions that intentionally commune or interact with 'demons'. which is kinda flexible term as well......  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:00 am
Thanks, BSPBleach!  

Underworld Priestess

Beelzebunz

Tipsy Poster

6,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:47 pm
Underworld Priestess
I will have to say yes to this one because there are several religions that don't view demons in the same way as the Abrahamic religions. Not all demons are considered evil. Sometimes demons are associated with spirits, the Ancient Greek word “daimon" means "spirit" or "divine power". The Ancient Egyptians viewed demons as being both "good" and "evil" and they viewed demons as a class of beings inbetween humans and the gods. Some Mesopotamian deities are viewed as or associated with demons in the Christian world, of course the names have been changed.
So polytheist who worship either the Ancient Egyptian or Mesopotamian religions could possibly communicate with demons. As for the Greeks, the poet Homer used the terms "demons" and "gods" more or less interchangeably.
Some schools of thought was that demons were intermediaries between men and gods, and that demons had once been men. Of course, these are all ancient religions but they are definitely still followed in the modern world and followers of any of these could intentionally communicate with their demons.
Sorry, I'm trying to summarize this as best as possible but there is soo much information on this topic.

Can you think of any specific religions?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:37 pm
Even though Paganism is technically an umbrella term for many different religions and spiritual paths you could say that there are people that are among a Pagan religion that may communicate with demons. I can't say every person in a specific religion communicates with demons because that would be like saying every Christian prays or every Satanist communicates with demons, since some Satanist don't. To break the branches of Paganism down more, and depending on whether you want to call it a religion or spiritual path there are: Kemetics aka Egyptian polytheist aka worshipers of the Ancient Egyptian religion and pantheon. Then there are worshipers of the Ancient Greek pantheon and Mesopotamian pantheon, etc. I think there may be some Asian religions that deal with demons as well. So in a very, very broad sense of it you can say those of a Pagan religion. For some the ways of the Ancients are not dead. But since there are what 400 different religions and religious paths in the world its hard to break them all down and list them all.  

Underworld Priestess

Beelzebunz

Tipsy Poster

6,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:49 pm
Underworld Priestess
Even though Paganism is technically an umbrella term for many different religions and spiritual paths you could say that there are people that are among a Pagan religion that may communicate with demons. I can't say every person in a specific religion communicates with demons because that would be like saying every Christian prays or every Satanist communicates with demons, since some Satanist don't. To break the branches of Paganism down more, and depending on whether you want to call it a religion or spiritual path there are: Kemetics aka Egyptian polytheist aka worshipers of the Ancient Egyptian religion and pantheon. Then there are worshipers of the Ancient Greek pantheon and Mesopotamian pantheon, etc. I think there may be some Asian religions that deal with demons as well. So in a very, very broad sense of it you can say those of a Pagan religion. For some the ways of the Ancients are not dead. But since there are what 400 different religions and religious paths in the world its hard to break them all down and list them all.

Yeah, I did a bit of research on all that. I understand that not all who subscribe to specific religions are also practitioners of their rituals, I was just wondering if there were religions that condoned demon conjuration. And I understand that the words "religion', and "demon" are ambiguous by nature, so I guess it is hard to answer that kind of question. Thanks for the information though.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:52 pm
It is a very large and difficult topic to give a simple and straight forward answer on. Simply put, yes there are religions that view demon communication as okay because there are religious paths and traditions that do not view demons as being only and purely evil. If you want to learn more then personally I would start with Greek polytheism both ancient and the modern views on it.  

Underworld Priestess

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:41 pm
Underworld Priestess
there are what 400 different religions and religious paths in the world.

there are way more than that, just under the umbrella term for Hindu religions. Hinduism alone accounts for literally hundreds of thousands of individual religions and Spiritual Paths.

and even within the Pagan religions, not only are there different religions and paths for different pantheons, but also many different religions within those pantheons, never mind the Mystery Cults dedicated individual Gods and Goddesses.

just want to point that out. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:30 am
possibly japanese shintoism  

neko-mata-01

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:00 pm
Chieftain Twilight
Underworld Priestess

there are way more than that, just under the umbrella term for Hindu religions. Hinduism alone accounts for literally hundreds of thousands of individual religions and Spiritual Paths.

and even within the Pagan religions, not only are there different religions and paths for different pantheons, but also many different religions within those pantheons, never mind the Mystery Cults dedicated individual Gods and Goddesses.

Yeah I was pretty sure my number was off. I know I heard it somewhere but I don't think they took into account all the different branches that could be within All the different religions.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:11 pm
Underworld Priestess
Chieftain Twilight
Underworld Priestess

Yeah I was pretty sure my number was off. I know I heard it somewhere but I don't think they took into account all the different branches that could be within All the different religions.

heh. xd nobody could number the religions anyway. it's a pointless task.  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

Sneaker Pimps

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:12 pm
Yes there are many and another example would be voodooism.  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff