Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
can someone please help explain tarot to me

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AshlynneJade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:02 pm
Can someone please explain tarot to me, i have been considering buying a deck, and want to know what type of deck to buy, and is there a book tht will explain it more. i really need help with this. please and thank you.

blessed be.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:59 pm
AshlynneJade
Can someone please explain tarot to me, i have been considering buying a deck, and want to know what type of deck to buy, and is there a book tht will explain it more. i really need help with this. please and thank you.

blessed be.

Buy a deck you like the artwork for- one that speaks to you.
There are lots of different kinds of decks, and you could even learn about tarot by drawing your own deck if you wanted. The common decks are the Crowley deck and the Rider Waite deck- there is another kind of deck- but it's more like reading with playing cards because there aren't as many images to draw symbols from.

I don't see why anyone who isn't part of Crowley's religion would read with a deck based on his stuff because he changed some things around.

The easiest way to tell the difference is that the Rider Waite deck and the Thoth is the names of the cards in the major arcana.

You might want to look at the Nigel Jackson Tarot, the Universal Waite Tarot, the Robin Wood Tarot or the Whimsical Tarot.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

AshlynneJade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:09 pm
Esiris
AshlynneJade

blessed be.

Buy a deck you like the artwork for- one that speaks to you.
There are lots of different kinds of decks, and you could even learn about tarot by drawing your own deck if you wanted. The common decks are the Crowley deck and the Rider Waite deck- there is another kind of deck- but it's more like reading with playing cards because there aren't as many images to draw symbols from.

I don't see why anyone who isn't part of Crowley's religion would read with a deck based on his stuff because he changed some things around.

The easiest way to tell the difference is that the Rider Waite deck and the Thoth is the names of the cards in the major arcana.

You might want to look at the Nigel Jackson Tarot, the Universal Waite Tarot, the Robin Wood Tarot or the Whimsical Tarot.

thank you. i will take all of this into consideration.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:14 pm
AshlynneJade

You're welcome- and good luck.

I wanted to ask too- would you consider not using blessed be like that? It's very specific ritual language to a very specific Mystery Religion and using it outside of those ritualsl is considered by a lot of people to be very disrespectful- it also comes across as "trying too hard" because it doesn't have any meaning behind it that makes sense to all pagans everywhere- so there's no really good reason to say it to someone who isn't part of that specific Mystery Religion.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

AshlynneJade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:34 pm
Esiris
AshlynneJade

You're welcome- and good luck.

I wanted to ask too- would you consider not using blessed be like that? It's very specific ritual language to a very specific Mystery Religion and using it outside of those ritualsl is considered by a lot of people to be very disrespectful- it also comes across as "trying too hard" because it doesn't have any meaning behind it that makes sense to all pagans everywhere- so there's no really good reason to say it to someone who isn't part of that specific Mystery Religion.

sure, i was just taught by my wiccan aunt to use tht term. thank you for setting me straight.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:01 pm
AshlynneJade

sure, i was just taught by my wiccan aunt to use tht term. thank you for setting me straight.
Do you know if she's an initiate and of what tradition?

And you're welcome.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

AshlynneJade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:02 pm
Esiris
AshlynneJade

Do you know if she's an initiate and of what tradition?

And you're welcome.

i havent spoken to her ini a few months, im not sure.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:03 pm
AshlynneJade

I was just curious- I'm seeking with a Gardnerian group myself.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

AshlynneJade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:15 pm
Esiris
AshlynneJade

I was just curious- I'm seeking with a Gardnerian group myself.

cool.im not sure wat group i want to b apart of.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:32 pm
AshlynneJade

There are lots of them out there- several Witchcraft Mystery religions, plenty of Reconstructist groups and paths.

Be careful about claiming to be Wiccan before initiation into a lineaged coven- because of the hard work and sacrifice- many Wiccans get pretty ticked when they here someone who isn't an initiate claiming to be part of the religion.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

AshlynneJade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:18 am
Esiris
AshlynneJade

There are lots of them out there- several Witchcraft Mystery religions, plenty of Reconstructist groups and paths.

Be careful about claiming to be Wiccan before initiation into a lineaged coven- because of the hard work and sacrifice- many Wiccans get pretty ticked when they here someone who isn't an initiate claiming to be part of the religion.

kk, thanks. ill b careful.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:11 pm
I've heard that the Learning the Tarot site is a good place to learn more about the basics of tarot reading.  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces