Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)
Three favourite adaptations of your most loved character?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:00 am
Because I'm bored... and wanted to start a discussion in this guild...

As the title suggests I want you to list your three favourite adaptations of the character you like the most from the books. Of course the best version of any of the characters is the original book versions but this is your three favourite ADAPTATIONS. I think that makes sense? Why of course it does!

Here's an example... as you all should know by now; my favourite character is the Caterpillar...

1. "Mr. Caterpillar" from Disney's Alice in Wonderland [1951]
Perfect adaptation of the character in my opinion... I might be slightly biased because I actually watched the Disney movie before reading the books. Infact I fell in love with the character because of the Disney version... reading the book made me love the Caterpillar even more. The scene actually follows the book quite well; a few things are swapped around. From reading the Caterpillar scene in the book and then watching the scene from the movie; I think they got the rather unusual personality of the Caterpillar done very well indeed. Not to mention his voice is epic; especially his over-enuciation of words.

2. "Caterpillar" from American McGee's Alice and Alice: Madness Returns
I dunno; I just love the McGee's version of the Caterpillar. In the original game he was a very important character as he played the role of the Oracle; and knew exacticially what Alice had to do to save Wonderland... even if he wasn't that forth-coming with all the facts. He has the cutest little fez too. The sequel just made me like him more; he seems to have some rather amazing powers... making smoke vents appear and using the smoke to float platforms all so Alice can get through the corrupted Vale of Tears... oh and his smoke seemed to be protecting that one area of the Vale from the corruption too. Also not to mention he can shrink Alice with smoke, talk into her mind and can create portals [first game]. Add the fact he's the Oracle and it seems Caterpillar in this adaptation has some epic skillz as it were. I also love the fact he's so darn wise.

3. "Absolem" from Alice in Wonderland [2010]
Awww... Absolem is just adorable. Not my favourite movie of AiW but I do love Absolem a lot. First off he's based on a Monarch Butterfly Caterpillar... which in my opinion is the CUTEST Caterpillar around... seriously look them up if you don't know what they look like... they're just darling. Secondly he wears a monocle... hehe. And thirdly again he's got an important role; this time the guardian of the Oraculum [what is it with Caterpillars and Oracles?]. I wasn't sure about them actually giving a name to the Caterpillar... but I think Absolem suits him very well. Yep.

Okay... now either tell me your favourite adaptations or you can discuss mine or anyone elses who posts in the thread.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:57 pm
Great topic Azure. Hmm my three favorite adaptions, well I have two favorite characters so I suppose I shall split this into two posts worth starting with the Cheshire cat.

1. The Cheshire Cat from Disney's Alice in Wonderland (1951)

The first version I ever saw of the Cheshire cat was this one ,so that makes me a bit bias like you are Azure since I too watched this version before reading the actual book . This version is a very unique version of the Cheshire cat, as he has both the catchy tune of Jabberwocky's first verse that he sings which to my knowledge no other version of the Cheshire cat has used. Also, the voice actor I think did a great job with the unique personality of the cheshire cat . (Sterling Holloway provided the cat's voice in this version

2. Cheshire Cat American Mcgee's Alice

I think of all the versions of the Cheshire Cat, this one is the most... creepy . Unlike the previous version from the Disney movie this cat was not as cheerful and less fuzzy. He began sporting an earring in this one and was more of a guide for Alice in her journey. However, even though he was less cute I still liked this version, and he did have some great sayings in this version. Also, his voice was pretty great, almost soothing.

3. Cheshire puss [Alice in Wonderland (1983)
This i have to say, is the most unusual version of the Cat ,as its played by a human ( Geoffrey Holder )who has long nails attached to his fingers to simulate claws wearing a black outfit with a bowtie . I have to say I think this is pretty neat because the person does a good job with the Cheshire cat. His preformance is good, yet at the same time a bit creepy.  

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:10 am
Great choices! Though I haven't watched the 1983 adaptation yet... but sounds rather interesting!

I totally agree with you with Cheshire from the Disney version. He's a great Cheshire; I have two plushies of him! lol. And Sterling Holloway's voice was perfect for the character. Well that being said I thought all the voice actors in the movie were great. Though I have to say this particular Cheshire is by far the naughtiest one. Hehe.

And of course AMA Cheshire is brilliant. He has some great lines from both games.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:17 pm
Azure Caterpillar
Great choices! Though I haven't watched the 1983 adaptation yet... but sounds rather interesting!

I totally agree with you with Cheshire from the Disney version. He's a great Cheshire; I have two plushies of him! lol. And Sterling Holloway's voice was perfect for the character. Well that being said I thought all the voice actors in the movie were great. Though I have to say this particular Cheshire is by far the naughtiest one. Hehe.

And of course AMA Cheshire is brilliant. He has some great lines from both games.

Thank you Azure.. I haven't either really but there are clips of it on youtube with the 1983 Cheshire cat preformance.

and yes he is, where did you get plushies ?I want a plushie! and yes Sterling Holloway I think caught the madness aspect of the cat well in his voice without overdoing it, and his singing of Jabberwocky 's first few lines were pretty good too. I think it
was more mischievous than naughty.. Really.. I haven't gotten to see any clips from the new AMA game. and he's in the second one.. but {Spoiler for those who didn't play the first AMA game} He died in the first one.. {End Spoiler}  

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:33 am
Oh well I have a large plushie that I got from... well it was either Amazon or eBay... might of been Amazon actually. And the smaller plushie I have is part of a now very rare set of four Alice in Wonderland plushies; including Cheshire, White Rabbit, Alice and Caterpillar. Oh I also have a large White Rabbit plush that was bought at the Disney Store.

AMA Cheshire is his usual self in the sequel... though I thought he should of made more appearences in it. He came back at the end of AMA as did all the other characters when Alice regained her sanity.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Azure Caterpillar
Oh well I have a large plushie that I got from... well it was either Amazon or eBay... might of been Amazon actually. And the smaller plushie I have is part of a now very rare set of four Alice in Wonderland plushies; including Cheshire, White Rabbit, Alice and Caterpillar. Oh I also have a large White Rabbit plush that was bought at the Disney Store.

AMA Cheshire is his usual self in the sequel... though I thought he should of made more appearences in it. He came back at the end of AMA as did all the other characters when Alice regained her sanity.

Hm I've never thought of checking E-bay or amazon for a plushie. I'll have to look and see if I can find any. Cool I totally forgot the disney store sells plushies like that.

OH that's right I'd forgotten.. Good I liked Cheshire and even just a few appearances is better than none.  

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:32 am
Kahlan_BrightBlade

Yeah you can find a lot of stuff to do with the movie on there... especially eBay... old stuff too sometimes. I'm quite obsessed with the film and like buying merchandise to do with it... especially if it involves the Caterpillar.

Yep. There are some interesting scenes with him in the second one anyhow.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:05 pm
Mad Hatter from Disney's Alice in Wonderland [1951}
cause he's awsome!
Absolom from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland [2010]
cause Alan Rickman is awsome!haha and cause he's super funny when he keeps calling Alice stupid xd
Best for last: Mad Hatter from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland [2010]
Because he is sooo hilarious, and I love Johnny Depp. He was perfect rofl  

free sparrow wolf

The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games