Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Back to Guilds

WHERE IT IS ALWAYS HALLOWEEN (and sometimes exams) 

Tags: Halloween, Demons, Monsters, Roleplay, Academy 

Reply { Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval
[Enrollment] Akubi the Misfortune Cat [Accepted] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pales

Demonic Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:32 pm
User Image AMITYVILLE ACADEMY ENROLLMENT FORM

*Note, art done by Lucyal was done prior to her employment in TiH. It is in no way official!

Name: Akubi
Nicknames: N/A

Faction/Race Demon - Misfortune Cat
Natural Ability:
» Just a Minor Mishap - Some in his company may experience minor mishaps occurring such as tripping, something breaking, or perhaps a wardrobe malfunction. Nothing deadly happens though many may certainly be limping away with a stubbed toe and a bruised ego.

Personality:
» Schadenfreude
He loves misfortune of others, he revels in it even. Akubi will gleefully sit down with someone to listen to them all the while demanding details about someone's very bad day. This can either be considered therapeutic or just very unnerving because he sits and grins as he awaits details. So in a way if someone needs to vent...they can go to him just don't mind that he grins and claps delightedly as he listens. Because of his love of misery that others go through it might be a bit difficult for some to befriend him.

» Why so far away?
Sometimes his dorm is just too far away and thus he does not discriminate when it comes to a bed to nap on. He will go into any unguarded dorm and flop onto the bed of another student and nap if at all possible - in a way it reflects a feline's self-entitlement of the space of others. He'd try his best to be gone before anyone returns but sometimes he's very easily caught snoozing. At least he doesn't mess with other's things or read diaries. Needless to say he's pretty lazy at times, he would probably also sleep right in hallways if he doesn't even want to pull open doors to get to a bed.

» A friend indeed...
Akubi loves his friends. He loves flopping on them and invading their personal little spaces with or without permission given. Friends of Akubi tend to find themselves unaffected by bad luck as long as he's directly touching him - they don't get any luckier but at least they stop tripping and things stop breaking. He's pretty loyal to his friends - at least he wouldn't sell them out for a desire of wealth or other things.

» The Grudge has nothing on me!
He can be very unforgiving when someone crosses him and makes him angry. Akubi will go out of his way to make the person's life a living Hell until he is either satisfied or the victim of his grudge makes it up to him somehow. Amongst friends he is a bit more forgiving but if it is a stranger then it is a bit more difficult to get his forgiveness. He will get vengeance one way or the other. Vengeance can take form of cruel pranks or just outright striking the person upon seeing them or he will say awful things about them if they are within hearing until confronted. Friends that find themselves in the center of his grudge will simply be confronted by Akubi and given a chance to repent after he's had at least a little fun at their expense making them work for his forgiveness - he values his friends since they are a rare thing for him to have.

» Feline Hubris
Akubi thinks he is fantastic, great, and marvelous. He is Jack's gift to Halloween Town. His rather full of himself attitude will likely exasperate those around him should it get out of hand - as it sometimes does. There are times that when Akubi is feeling rather high and mighty that sometimes his 'aura' of misfortune will turn inward on itself and affect him making him screw up a task or when trying to show off a trick and it goes horribly wrong making a fool of him. Usually he can laugh it off when something goes wrong but there are times where he might scamper off to sulk in his shame.

Why are they enrolled in Amityville Academy? He wants to be something more, he wants to achieve more, and he wants to be stronger than the other Halloween denizens he and his Auntie consorts with. Auntie Yana suggested the Academy to him and he decided that that would be the ideal place to hone his skills and to become something more than what he was. Akubi is determined to make his Auntie proud of him, especially since she had been the one to take such fine care of him~.

FEAR:
» Bad Luck Counter: Once per battle (at a moment of his choosing) he can 'reflect' his attacker's strike back at them through the use of his FEAR. The opponent will find their attack flying back to hit them instead of hitting Akubi. (Battle Mechanic: Gambler's Chance)

Physical Description:
Eye Colour: Yellowish with a bit of green around the pupils
Hair Colour/Style: Dark red-brown, messy, wild
Skin Colour: Pale
Clothing Style/Colours: Traditional Japanese style wardrobe and a pair of getas. He favors reds and dark grays. Alternately the artist can plan an outfit around this. He always wears the noose around his neck. Just have fun with it.
Extra: Cat ears, Slit pupils, Sharp teeth, Sharp nails on hands and feet, Very short bob tail
References: Akubi Piccu by Al-wife

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:33 pm
Humble Beginnings

The origin of the Misfortune Cat is a rather simple one filled with unfortunate accidents as well as the mysterious beginnings of a cat named Akubi. Well, perhaps not mysterious as much as sudden.

It began in the Human World where a man was sculpting a figure for a patron that had requested a statue of a cat to bring good luck and much fortune to their own shop, however, the patron had shorted the sculptor some money and refused to pay more. Being desperate for money the sculptor agreed to continue work but in doing so he built hatred and resentment toward the patron wishing nothing but misfortune and bad luck upon them. Upon finishing the statue the cat figure had twisted and looked as if it would do more harm than good - yet the patron liked the look. It was different and 'odd', perfect for the business the patron planned to run.

The shop had been a shop of oddities and replicated artifacts aiming to con others out of their hard-earned money; the shopkeeper had set up the twisted statue near the register. Not only was it a shop but it was also the shopkeeper's home thus keeping in the statue's vicinity at all times. The bad luck started small from bad business transactions to small physical harm. One day the Shopkeeper met his bloody end when a burglary was committed and he was cut down. The statue was then stolen away by the robber in his haste to escape the scene.

The robber's string of bad luck had turned into worse luck as soon as the statue was in his possession. It seemed like nothing was ever going to go right and in his despair he commented suicide by hanging himself from a rafter his squalid home as the cat statue sat and 'watched' with the eerie grin upon it's face. Several days later someone else came to check on the man that had committed suicide and soon the statue found yet another home.

On and on it went from home to home the statue moved causing bad luck within its wake. It didn't take long before stories about the statue began to be told with each story becoming more horrifying than the last, the creator of the cat sculpture said to have gone insane long ago and hadn't been seen for a long time and believed to be dead (and possibly stalking owners of the statue). People began to fear the Misfortune Cat as much as some seemingly coveted it wanting to see if the stories were true or not...

So much talk and fear was generated it seemed like it was enough to bring forth a new entity into Halloween Town.

A kitten appeared with no real knowledge of itself other than it was there and it was sentient. It called itself Akubi. The kitten wandered quite happily causing mayhem in it's wake for some of the denizens until it was taken in by a seemingly elderly looking witch who mistook Akubi for a lost familiar only to soon find that the kitten was no ordinary cat nor really a lost familiar. The witch so loved the young cat that she simply kept taking care of him until the day that he announced that he wished to attend Amityville Academy to become something more than what he was.

TL biggrin R Summary

* Cat Statue was made in Human World. It begins to cause misfortune to all who came into possession of it.
* People start to talk about the statue and even fear it.
* Akubi gains 'life' and is born in Halloween Town due to all fear the cat statue generated. He is unaware of any birth parents he may have, thus is technically an orphan.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Added Notes

Akubi doesn't know of the Human World, if ever told about the Human World it would be completely new information for him. At first he'd be more likely ask if it was food and if he could eat Human World. He has no clue that a statue of him is in the human world the knowledge of such a thing would probably have various affects on him depending on his mindset at the time and it also depends on is if he even catches wind of it at all.

Akubi's Natural Form

At this time Akubi is not powerful enough to have a humanoid form without the aid of a special pin and thus he runs around in feline form. In feline form he's pudgy and has a noose around his neck and has a stub of a tail since his statue was based off the Japanese Bobtail cat breed (as are many of the maneki statues that don't go twisted and filled with ill will and misfortune).

Adopted Family

Auntie Yana: It isn't certain what her name is short for but she insists on being called by Auntie Yana by just about everyone that she considers family. She took in Akubi when he was small and needed someone to care for him and still cares for him to this day. It is uncertain as to what she is but the elder woman claims to be a witch though she only has a bunch of weird spell books and a modest little cauldron in which she only cooks meals. Akubi just accepts her as she is and is glad she keeps a warm fireplace at all times.

Pales

Demonic Gatekeeper

Pales

Demonic Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:34 pm
Akubi's Pets

Meet 'Birdy'
Birdy is standoffish and doesn't take any nonsense from anyone. Birdy will gleefully set others straight if they are in the wrong. It isn't sure how or why Akubi has Birdy or even why Birdy is still alive but it is probably better this way. Birdy tends to hang out in Akubi's room and look after his things and keep the room clean.

Meet 'De-De'
De being short for Dead. It isn't certain whether the skeletal fish in the bag is dead or not, sometimes it does twitch but it might be because the bag was jostled. Akubi takes the bagged fish out for walks often.

Meet 'Toy'
He carts it around, plays with it, and tosses it around. If it is alive or can grow it is uncertain because it seems to refuse to grow possibly due to all the abuse it suffers at the paws of its owner. Akubi doesn't seem to mind that it is playing possum.

Couple Bits of Cracktastic Fanart

Hel and Akubi (in his natural cat form) [By Al]
Akubi and Lizzy [By Dragain]
Akubi, Lizzy, Xiu, & Lattice [By Dragain]
Akubi, Neil, & Hel [by Al]

Akubi Himself (Headshots and More)

Akubi Headshot [By Bitty]
Akubi Headshot [By Al]
Akubi Sketch [By Chobi]
Natural Form Akubi [By Al]
Humanoid Akubi Doodle [By Al]

Akubi's Statue/Inspiration

Statue Front [By Al]
Statue Side [By Al]
Statue back [By Al]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:46 pm
Hey Pales! I have to say i'm rather amused at the idea of an 'unlucky' cat as opposed to the maneki neko. XDD

He seems pretty good over all, however the main thing that stuck out to me is his FEAR mechanic. I had a similar thing with Jericho's original FEAR (roll 1d20, 20 = extra damage, 1 = heal the target instead), and that was turned down due to the battle system already having its own set dice rules and whatnot or will once it's finished up and published. I was also told the Teachers are pretty much the only ones allowed to use the d20. That and I had to focus on either an offensive or healing thing (there's also disabling and defensive) for the first year FEAR. So you will probably have to rework it a bit in both those regards.

Like I said that's the main thing that needs fixing that I can spot. XD Persona wise he sounds rather amusing.  

Blade Kuroda

Militant Raider

Pales

Demonic Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:03 pm
Blade Kuroda
Hey Pales! I have to say i'm rather amused at the idea of an 'unlucky' cat as opposed to the maneki neko. XDD

He seems pretty good over all, however the main thing that stuck out to me is his FEAR mechanic. I had a similar thing with Jericho's original FEAR (roll 1d20, 20 = extra damage, 1 = heal the target instead), and that was turned down due to the battle system already having its own set dice rules and whatnot or will once it's finished up and published. I was also told the Teachers are pretty much the only ones allowed to use the d20. That and I had to focus on either an offensive or healing thing (there's also disabling and defensive) for the first year FEAR. So you will probably have to rework it a bit in both those regards.

Like I said that's the main thing that needs fixing that I can spot. XD Persona wise he sounds rather amusing.
He's based on something my friend did/rendered for an artclass. <3 So I just took it and ran.

I understand/didn't think of that for some reason. I think I wanted a die with a large number range to kind of ensure maximum randomness somehow. Um maybe a d12 would be better? or a d10...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:04 pm
-Scratches the idea of looking for dice.- XDD I'll figure out how to make it fair and work at the same time. XDD <3  

Pales

Demonic Gatekeeper

Blade Kuroda

Militant Raider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:09 pm
Alright. XD Maru is the one that's in charge of the battle system stuff so I guess if you need some help figuring out what would work, you could ping her or the mule in general.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:19 pm
Haha yes. I think what I have now is maybe acceptable. Maru or someone can slap me around a bit if they so wish.  

Pales

Demonic Gatekeeper

Pales

Demonic Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:29 am
-Nudges.-  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:41 am
heart Nomnom. Added some info. Changed some stuff.  

Pales

Demonic Gatekeeper

- h a b i b a t i -

Codebreaking Nerd

6,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:52 am
FEAR:
» Bad Luck Counter: Once per battle (at a moment of his choosing) he can 'reflect' his attacker's strike back at them through the use of his FEAR. The opponent will find their attack flying back to hit them instead of hitting Akubi.

Interesting! But what attacks can he reflect? Or does he have several attacks that he can't reflect?

Mind to crit Minnie too?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:58 pm
I would at first, at least, limit it to physical attacks rather than magical.  

Pales

Demonic Gatekeeper

Pales

Demonic Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:31 pm
rofl  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:30 am
Okay... I love him and the back story of how he was born! Very creative and keeps to cannon too.

I can't find anything I'd say to fix at all so this is more of a praise post then a crit but its nice to get praise posts some times.

I really enjoy him and I think that Akubi and Neil would be bros.  

Chobi_Chocobo

Distinct Lunatic

Pales

Demonic Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:32 am
Yay. I was worried about his backstory. XDD  
{ Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers