Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[A.V.]

Dangerous Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:19 pm
User Image

Nighttime at the swamp was beautiful, and Grasswhistle marveled at the sight before him. Fireflies flitted around, illuminating the darkness and casting a mystical yet wondrous glow. He smiled as one landed on his nose, its backside blinking brightly in the dark, acting as some sort of beacon. Using the firefly as a source of light, he walked slowly through the pitch-black swamp, guided by his small companion and its friends, setting the place around him aglow.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:38 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Nighttime was her favorite time. Nocturne of Shadows danced her way across bumpy roots, humming under her breath. Graceful even in the dark, she breezed through scattered patches of moonlight where it peaked through the branches of the swamp. Her golden eyes caught a flicker; head tilted, focus intent. Her humming grew more cheerful and she quickly made her way towards the flickering fireflies. “Hello little firefly. You have a radiant dance, I would love to partake.” She bobbed her head to match the various fireflies, and when they started to move she followed like a moth to the flame.

Her keen ears caught the tell-tale sloshing of movement – the sound a Kimeti walking through the swamp. Her steps perked further, and she caught sight of the other in the dancing lights of the moon and fireflies. Ever eager, she trotted up to the buck, very close to his personal bubble, with a large grin on her face.
“Good evening! It is ever so easy for a Kimeti to miss his footing and break something in the dark. Or maybe a tree would help you along… Some trees are just so nasty! Just a little twitch of a root and bam!” She trailed off with a few giggles.

Xerianthe

Mewling Fatcat

[A.V.]

Dangerous Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:08 pm
At first, he thought the swamp was playing tricks on him when he heard the soft patter of hooves, but when an voice and face accompanied it, it was all he could do to keep from screaming.

"AhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhrghg!!!"

He stumbled back, losing his guide as it flew off from the sudden shock and joined its blinking friends. When he finally gathered his surroundings, he looked up to see the face of a doe looking at him curiously. A slight blush slowly crept over his face as he realized what he had just done, and he stared down in embarrassment and shame. What a way to treat a lady.

Slowly getting up, he nudged off whatever dirt clung to his fur, and turned towards the doe, dimly luminated by the fireflies' lights.

"Y-yes," he started. "It's quite dangerous travelling in the dark, so many hazards, and... surprises.

He cleared his throat and dipped his head in apology.

"I'm sorry if I gave you a fright miss. You caught me by surprise, but I do apologize for my behaviour, that was no way to act."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:46 pm
Nocturne giggled, tilting her head to peer at the blushing buck. “Surprises are plentiful in the nighttime. Like a Kimeti’s ghost possessing your body and diving out of a tree to re-enact her death. That would be surprising, wouldn’t it?” Her smile widened when a firefly alighted on her nose, going cross-eyed to watch it, and then kept her eyes crossed when she continued talking.

“You didn’t scare me at all though. A swamp monster would be a bit more frightful. Especially if she was made of thistles. Thistles are very scary plants, you know. So very grabby.” She stepped closer to the buck, head bent down low, almost touching his legs, peering down at his feet. “You have very pretty grass patterns, but you are not made of thistles. Or perhaps you could be, if you ate a thistle seed and it grew inside of you, all the way up to you nose and ears and out your eyes. I imagine it would hurt a bit. You haven’t eaten a thistle seed, have you? That would be a shame.”

She turned her eyes to spend a moment watching the fireflies dancing. Perhaps it was their mating season? Their dances were spectacularly intricate tonight. Nocturne turned back to the buck and then lit up. “Oh! I’m Nocturne of Shadows. It is pleasant to meet you. Or at least I hope it is pleasant, unless I scared your heart into stopping. Has your heart stopped?” She also added an afterthought - “There was also no need to apologize, but thank you.”

Xerianthe

Mewling Fatcat

[A.V.]

Dangerous Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:08 pm
He only blinked at the string of sentences the doe weaved together, and smiled nervously as the doe stepped closer, seeming to analyze him.

''Y-yes,''`he stuttered. ''That would be quite frightening...''

he stiffened slightly as the doe stared at his hooves, having some odd thought that she might bite him. Tales of Thistle flashed through his mind at the mention of thistles. It was good thing they were fully grown kimeti and not foals, but the tale still unnerved him.

His eyes widened at the mention of thistles growing out of him, and he too began to look at his feet nervously, hoping the doe wouldn`t chant some sort of spell to make the grass markings turn into thorns.

''N-no, I`m afraid I don`t have any thistle seeds... a-and my heart hasn`t stopped, or else I wouldn`t be talking to you now, would I?'' he chuckled nervously, hoping the humour would help ease the tension he felt.

''A-and, my name is Grasswhistle. It is a pleasure to meet you.''

Somehow, he felt it was anything BUT a pleasure, but despite his discomfort, he wouldn`t let it affect him... hopefully.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:18 pm
“It’s nice to meet you Grasswhistle. I don’t suppose you could talk to me if your heart had stopped, could you? You could certainly try though.” she trailed off. Her head began bobbing again, following the weaving lightning bugs. She hummed a few bars, voice blending with the nighttime air. The Kimeti stepped towards the sprinkle of fireflies, her hooves deftly finding even ground. “A message, perhaps? Do you think the Swamp Mother sends messages through fireflies, Grasswhistle? I wonder what she says…” she murmured, more to herself even if she seemed to address the other Kimeti.

Her head still weaving, she turned back to focus molten eyes on the white buck. “It’s a good thing you don’t have thistle seeds. They’re very nasty plants, you know. Very grabby.” Her voice lilted with her head’s movements, a sing-song melody. “I’m glad we found fireflies, you and I. We could have followed will-o-wisps and been lead to drown in muck. It would have formed big grabby hands and sucked us down, down to the very bottom of the world. Will-o-wisps look a bit like fireflies I’ve been told. But these are fireflies, aren’t they?” Nocturne peered at the glittering bugs. “Yes, I do suppose they are.”

She began to shadow one particular lightning bug flittering around the small clearing. “Have you ever seen a will-o-wisp? They are supposed to lure naughty foals away. I walk around a lot, but I’ve never seen one. Do you travel? Alone, with your family? You should make sure the foals don’t wander off. Mud will eat them.”

Xerianthe

Mewling Fatcat

[A.V.]

Dangerous Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:10 pm
His ears perked at the mention of hidden messages, and he watched the fireflies curiously as they circled about in the air, seeming to make little symbols with their tail light. He blinked as one seemed to create the first symbol of a kimeti name, as two crossed over the line of one, forming a faint and fleet line with two lines across it. He turned his head towards Nocturne as she spoke, and found the story of the swamp monster a little more silly than scary.

I'm afraid I haven't heard stories of a swamp monster, but there is a tale of a doe named Thistle...

He trailed off as Nocturne began to talk about thistle seeds again, then blinked as she abruptly changed the topic back to fireflies. He had a feeling this would be a long night...

"Will-o-wisps?" he inquired. He wasn't sure what those were, but he was pretty sure they weren't fireflies. Maybe somewhat similar? "Yes... I am pretty sure those are fireflies, and no, I don't believe I've ever seen will-o-wisps..."

He tried to catch his breath as Nocturne seemed to ask him question after question. He wondered how she had the breath to ask all that in one go.

"Yes, I travel, I travel alone, I don't have any family...

The mention of foals made him stiffen, as he couldn't stand the idea of having harm come to them. Though he didn't have any offspring of his own, just the idea of it...

"M-maybe we should change the topic..." he looked around wondering what to say. "A-ah... look, isn't the moon lovely tonight? So big and round..."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:17 pm
Nocturne mirrored the firefly, ducking her head to match the fluttering beetle. “Oh, I’ve heard of Thistle. Luring little foals away and such. Maybe it was only where I came from they talk about will-o-wisps? They’re little lights that lure you into the swamp. Deep into the swamp and you never come out. Wouldn’t that be fun?” She giggled. Her tone matched one of a child talking about a big adventure.

Prancing, she moved to stand on a large root near Grasswhistle, alternating between peering at him and the fireflies. Oh, that one looked like the sun, and that little squiggly looked a bit like a bird. Radiant, iridescent, magnificent little lights. The Swamp was so generous with her fireflies, Nocturne thought. She nodded pensively, partially in response to Grasswhistle’s words. Not the most observant of does, she missed his discomfort with her words. Her head tilted up to gaze at the moon. It was like a big firefly, one that always glowed.

“Yes it is pretty, isn’t it? So big and round and shiny. The moon is just gorgeous. And you can actually look at it without your eyes burning out." Nocturne smiled cheerfully at Grasswhistle. "It would be bigger if it was coming towards us to crash land on the earth. It wouldn’t be round anymore though. I wonder if something lives on the moon? A whole other clan of Kimeti, maybe? Or foxbuns, like the foxbun in the moon. I wonder if they would survive the crash. What would you do if the moon started to crash?” Gold eyes turned curiously to the buck, waiting for an answer (as if there was actually a correct one).

Xerianthe

Mewling Fatcat

[A.V.]

Dangerous Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:27 pm
He gulped at the idea of getting lost in the swamp, even more so getting lost alone with her. Not that there was anything wrong with her, but... he couldn't help but feel a sense of unease. It was as if she constantly gave off an eerie vibe with every fiber of her being. If, that, even made any sense.

"Ah-um, adventures are fun, yes..." he started. He felt slightly more at ease as they changed the topic to the moon, and he gazed upon it, sighing softly.

"Yes, the moon is quite a thing of beauty. It gives off such a soothing aura..."

He blinked at the tidbit about eyes burning, and eyes widened slightly at the moon growing larger. He wasn't exactly sure what would happen if it DID get larger, or closer, but he had a feeling it wasn't something good. He pondered curiously at the thought of there being life outside the swamp. Could there actually be other kimeti out there? Or even other... creatures?

He opened his mouth to ask Nocturne what she thought, but what she said caught him off guard.

"I-if the moon were to fall?" he frowned slightly. "I don't think any kimeti would survive if it were to fall..."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:54 pm
"Hmm. I guess that makes sense. The moon is very large, so it would probably kill everyone. It doesn't look like it will crash anytime soon though. Shame." Nocturne beamed, leaping into a puddle with a resounding splash.

"I suppose those on the moon would be dead too. So we wouldn't even get to meet anyone! Though that would be a good thing if they were big clawed monsters that eat kimeti like us. Or little ones that spit poison and melt your fur off." Sashaying over to Grasswhistle, she added, "Wouldn't it be marvelous, to meet new people? From the moon or halfway around the world! Of course, they could bring diseases that send you to insanity or decay your body so that your limbs fall off, but maybe they'd be nice."

The grey doe swayed gracefully, dancing a few improvised moves to come up underneath a firefly; aiming just so that it would land on her nose. "Do you suppose they have fireflies on the moon?"

Xerianthe

Mewling Fatcat

[A.V.]

Dangerous Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:14 pm
Talking with Nocturne was quickly tiring him out, and he felt his eyelids droop until the sound of a splash startled him awake. Looking around quickly, he hoped there weren't any crocodiles, alligators, or even...

The sound of hooves made him freeze, and for just a moment, he thought Thistle was right behind him, but as he turned around, he saw it was Nocturne, which, he wasn't sure if that was any better or not. He cringed slightly at the mention of other creatures on the moon, things suspiciously seeming to resemble the predators they had now in the swamp. Were there... even such things as moon alligators?

He opened his mouth to say it would be delightful to meet new creatures, well, preferably friendly ones, yet the mention of sickness and decay made him close his mouth. Did everything they talked about have to be so morbid? He liked the idea of fireflies on the moon though.

"I don't know," he answered, gazing at the moon thoughtfully. "But possibly. There's lots of things we don't know about out there..."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:14 am
“I think moon fireflies would be the best thing ever! I wonder what color they would be? Do you think they would still be yellow? I think moon fireflies should be a more exotic color. Maybe one that doesn’t even exist in the swamp!” Nocturne splashed her hoof thoughtfully.

“Wouldn’t that be wonderful?” she asked, getting more excited. “Would it be possible to see this color? That would be interesting – a color we couldn’t see. How big would the moon fireflies be? Maybe they’d be big enough to pick a whole buck up! Can you imagine flying with a moon firefly?” Nocturne bounced cheerfully, nudging Grasswhistle with her hip.

“That’d be a long way to fall.”

Xerianthe

Mewling Fatcat

[A.V.]

Dangerous Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:58 pm
He silently pondered the thought. Moon fireflies DID sound pretty interesting... but an exotic colour that didn't existed, no, wait. A colour they couldn't see? How could it be an exotic colour if they couldn't see it? How would they even know what it was? This whole conversation was making his head spin.

He shook his head. Now... giant... fireflies? He was pretty sure he'd be scared witless if there was something that big, let alone being carried by it. She seemed extremely excited though, and jumped slightly when Nocturne bumped him.

"Y-yes, it would be..." he stammered. He just hoped he'd never have to see one.

Roleplaying

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games