Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Vent about my mum and the guinea pigs

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:16 pm
Does anybody else have a hard time trying to be a responsible pet owner?

All my animals have to live outside because of my parents. The dogs get to come in sometimes, and have their own shed to sleep in with heaps of blankets. Which is good, considering friggin' winter is coming up hey? You'd think the guinea pigs could be nice and warm to, considering they're smaller and get cold easier. But no, the most I can do is pile more bedding into their house, and maybe put a towel over the cage on windy nights...

Went out there at like 11:30 just because I felt like a Sparky hug. Then heard my guinea pigs making noises. At first I thought they just wanted more food, so I gave them some herbs from the garden. Now I'm thinking, it sounded different to their normal sounds. They we're probably freezing. Last winter I tried a few times to put towels in with them, and my mum threw them out and won't allow me to let them have any material because she thinks it's disgusting. She keeps saying I can buy a cage for them (can't make one though, they look bad stare ), but she wants to see them before buying them (and I have no idea how to buy things online, and no ebay account). Every single time I bring it up though she just goes into an instant PMS mode. Just gets angry, acts as though I haven't already tried to get her to buy cages with MY money (which she turned down when she made up some excuse as to why we can't get that cage), and doesn't want to talk about it. Ever.

So now she's told me to look for some cages. Ok mum, sure. Like I haven't done that a hundred times. Already argued twice about it today.... I really want a cage for inside now, as it's coming into winter now. My original guinea pig Timone died last winter after I had him for two weeks, and I think it was from the cold. The problem is I need to pay for these cages. And a good, bought cage is pretty expensive, compared to what I could make if she would just be more open to ideas. I have about $70. There's one cage I could afford, but I couldn't afford the postage. I would have more money to spend but mum made me give her my money? Why? Because I threw out the no-bark shock collar. Our dogs sleep outside. They see foxes, hares and other animals go past the yard. They're going to bark. I don't see why they need to be shocked, it's not like it was a needed last resort. All they need is exercise and mental stimulation, and they barely bark at all.

I've even considered going to the $2 shop and buying the biggest plastic container as a temporary home if my mum doesn't want to fork out some money.  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:48 pm
we used to use plastic bins for our pocs,but they werent perfect,we didnt really know exactly what we were doing and this was before internet,Im guessing you odnt have enough room or you could use a kiddie pool.but what about putting them int he shed with the dogs?  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:15 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
we used to use plastic bins for our pocs,but they werent perfect,we didnt really know exactly what we were doing and this was before internet,Im guessing you odnt have enough room or you could use a kiddie pool.but what about putting them int he shed with the dogs?

I think I'll put them in the shed if mum keeps trying to avoid the whole situation. She just said I should put them in the shed, but I really think it would be better if they were inside. Hopefully something will be sorted out soon....  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:59 pm
DeeSpark
Cowgirl-with-heart

I think I'll put them in the shed if mum keeps trying to avoid the whole situation. She just said I should put them in the shed, but I really think it would be better if they were inside. Hopefully something will be sorted out soon....
yea that would be ideal,but,inside out of the breeze would be better than nothing  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Skeksis

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:25 am
Eliminating dampness and wind is the biggest issue with housing anything outside.

A solid box with a small opening, lined with a cardboard box which is lined with newspaper on all sides which is then lined with a smaller box creates a good insulated sleeping area. Pack it with good dry hay and have the whole lot in a completely sheltered part of the hutch/cage, positioned so it doesn't get any wind. Change the hay/bedding out every 1-2 days to keep it dry.

Moving them into the garage at least at night might be an idea. There are some pretty big storage containers around and one filled with hay, a box and food/water would likely be quite comfortable. They could go back out in the day to graze/have more room.  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:37 am
Thanks guys! I should be able to keep them nice and warm for the next week or so. Mum finally said I can just make one!

Can't get cubes anywhere, or coroplast so C&C cage is out. However, I found some left over rolls of mesh fly screen that we use for the doors and windows of our house. Had no idea they were there until they just popped out at me, just as I was thinking about what I could use for a cage. Theres also left over lino that I could use for the base, but I want to use wood for under the lino, and some wood to hold the mesh up. Just have to think about how I'm going to build it, and see if I can find enough wood. Then get Dad to help out otherwise my hand will get nailed to the cage. But I'm so excited! Hopefully I can make one that's big enough, but the parents don't want it taking up to much space. Though there is that coffee table not being used that I could rest it on *goes into her head to think of ideas*  

DeeSpark

Azusanga

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:49 pm
Building cages isn't too hard. See if you can use the coffee table as a base, tell your mom it'll make for a lively and interesting living room piece wink

Otherwise, start with making the base you want to use, line it with the lino and staple it down. Screw some planks along the edges to keep bedding from being scattered, then screw some vertical 'poles' on all four corners and at the midpoints, make 'triangle' bases, and then staple the mesh to the cage. Walla. Insert one cage here. I'll get pics of the handmade cage my dad made for my rabbits, the same idea will work for pigs.  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:51 pm
if you make it long enough, you can always make lightly sloped ramps and a second lvl...takes up less space but they still have more room....

just an idea i am throwing out there for you.  

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items