Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Transgendered not welcomed in Texas Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:42 pm
Insatiable Lust
Shilberu Erikku
Insatiable Lust
Shilberu Erikku
The rednecks have struck again
http://youtu.be/VX2hg7oc_d4

First of all, I would just like to say that you are taking things out of context. Notice in the video he said REPUBLICANS WANT TO change this law. It doesn't mean it has been done, nor does it mean all of Texas wants this to happen. Furthermore, using the term rednecks is a racist hate term that makes you no better than homophobes. You can not fight hate with hate, it's the very definition of insanity and ignorant. I am also sure that we are not the only state with these types of issues.

Someone stated that Houston has a pride, and they are correct. Not only is our pride celebration and Gay community here in Houston the biggest in the south, our mayor is a lesbian. I have NEVER had a problem with homophobia here in Houston. There aren't hate crimes that often, if ever, and there are plenty of trans people here. Yes we have our assholes, but so does every city in the world. Of course you'd know that if you actually did your research before spewing ignorance.

Before making false accusations and ignorant insults, how about you try doing your homework first?
I guess Houston and Austin are the two exceptions.I'm sorry if I have offended you, I've just had some bad experiences involving the south/ southerners.

I get that, and I accept your apology, but you can not group us all together. Topics like this are what start stereotypes and misconceptions. I am just so tired of people thinking people from Texas are all uptight, conservative, "red necks". To be fair, you're probably right that the bigger cities in Texas are probably the only places you can find equality. Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Galveston, and some parts of Dallas are Gay hot spots. Then again that can be said about most bigger cities anywhere. People in smaller towns have a different view of things. However times are changing, and as people are being educated on the truth, they're losing their ignorance and hatred based on that ignorance.

I will also say this; just because many people don't believe in our right to be married does not mean they have anything personal against us. That doesn't mean that I am ok with it, because I am not. However, there are just so many people who believe in traditions and what things are "suppose" to be, that they are afraid of change. It's our job to show them that we are people just like them, and we deserve to be happy. That doesn't mean they have a right to take away what should belong to us, nor does it mean that we deserved to be attacked and tormented. In return, we can not stoop down to their level.

As Martin Luther King said, "Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that", and it's 100% true. If we act ignorant and hateful towards these people, and call them names and cuss them out, we are only showing them what they already expect; that we're all just a bunch of deviants.

We have to be better, there is no other way. Let's not only tell them that they are wrong, but show them. We do that by being productive members of society, and educating ourselves. Using hate as a weapon is only going to cause more pain and suffering.

When I was six, there was this kid from the south that once tied me up, threw me in a closet, and tried to set me ablaze. His grandfather was also a member of the kkk. The worst part of it? They were next door neighbors.  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:23 pm
Shilberu Erikku
Insatiable Lust
Shilberu Erikku
Insatiable Lust
Shilberu Erikku

First of all, I would just like to say that you are taking things out of context. Notice in the video he said REPUBLICANS WANT TO change this law. It doesn't mean it has been done, nor does it mean all of Texas wants this to happen. Furthermore, using the term rednecks is a racist hate term that makes you no better than homophobes. You can not fight hate with hate, it's the very definition of insanity and ignorant. I am also sure that we are not the only state with these types of issues.

Someone stated that Houston has a pride, and they are correct. Not only is our pride celebration and Gay community here in Houston the biggest in the south, our mayor is a lesbian. I have NEVER had a problem with homophobia here in Houston. There aren't hate crimes that often, if ever, and there are plenty of trans people here. Yes we have our assholes, but so does every city in the world. Of course you'd know that if you actually did your research before spewing ignorance.

Before making false accusations and ignorant insults, how about you try doing your homework first?
I guess Houston and Austin are the two exceptions.I'm sorry if I have offended you, I've just had some bad experiences involving the south/ southerners.

I get that, and I accept your apology, but you can not group us all together. Topics like this are what start stereotypes and misconceptions. I am just so tired of people thinking people from Texas are all uptight, conservative, "red necks". To be fair, you're probably right that the bigger cities in Texas are probably the only places you can find equality. Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Galveston, and some parts of Dallas are Gay hot spots. Then again that can be said about most bigger cities anywhere. People in smaller towns have a different view of things. However times are changing, and as people are being educated on the truth, they're losing their ignorance and hatred based on that ignorance.

I will also say this; just because many people don't believe in our right to be married does not mean they have anything personal against us. That doesn't mean that I am ok with it, because I am not. However, there are just so many people who believe in traditions and what things are "suppose" to be, that they are afraid of change. It's our job to show them that we are people just like them, and we deserve to be happy. That doesn't mean they have a right to take away what should belong to us, nor does it mean that we deserved to be attacked and tormented. In return, we can not stoop down to their level.

As Martin Luther King said, "Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that", and it's 100% true. If we act ignorant and hateful towards these people, and call them names and cuss them out, we are only showing them what they already expect; that we're all just a bunch of deviants.

We have to be better, there is no other way. Let's not only tell them that they are wrong, but show them. We do that by being productive members of society, and educating ourselves. Using hate as a weapon is only going to cause more pain and suffering.

When I was six, there was this kid from the south that once tied me up, threw me in a closet, and tried to set me ablaze. His grandfather was also a member of the kkk. The worst part of it? They were next door neighbors.

That's really unfortunate, and I'm sorry you went through that, but that's an excuse.  

Robbie-fyed

Beloved Lunatic

6,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:17 pm
Insatiable Lust
Shilberu Erikku
Insatiable Lust
Shilberu Erikku
Insatiable Lust
Shilberu Erikku

That's really unfortunate, and I'm sorry you went through that, but that's an excuse.

And that was the first of many. If every member of a particular group of people caused you that much pain, would you not despise them?  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:11 am
Ciel Nite
tennessee and texas now...but i thought texas have a big gay community...i could be wrong...

We do have a big community here in Houston (I'm pretty sure everyone has said this, but I'll say it again.). I work at the Trangender Center here in town (my mother is on the Board) and I can assure you that we do have a lot of pride here in Montorse!!!  

sandrock_buck

Versatile Raider

6,200 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Survivor 150

Robbie-fyed

Beloved Lunatic

6,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:17 am
Shilberu Erikku
Insatiable Lust
Shilberu Erikku
Insatiable Lust
Shilberu Erikku

And that was the first of many. If every member of a particular group of people caused you that much pain, would you not despise them?

Hmm now this reminds me of someone... oh right, HITLER.

No, are you crazy?! I was picked on, nay, tortured day in and day out by mostly black schoolmates growing up. Yet, I do not have ill will to the whole race. I am on my guard around black people more than other races because of my bad experiences, but I don't despise them. You're still young though, so maybe some day you'll understand. I pity you, but wish you the best.  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:52 pm
Insatiable Lust
Shilberu Erikku
Insatiable Lust
Shilberu Erikku
Insatiable Lust
Shilberu Erikku

Hmm now this reminds me of someone... oh right, HITLER.

No, are you crazy?! I was picked on, nay, tortured day in and day out by mostly black schoolmates growing up. Yet, I do not have ill will to the whole race. I am on my guard around black people more than other races because of my bad experiences, but I don't despise them. You're still young though, so maybe some day you'll understand. I pity you, but wish you the best.

I was pretty much like that a few years ago, I'm not denying that sweatdrop
I'm trying to be less hateful though.  

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

AstridMiriam

Party Browser

13,100 Points
  • Runway First Vote 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100