Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Puppy cries when I go into the bathroom

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PandaTeddy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:56 am
For a 5-month old puppy (based on the age estimate given by the shelter), she's very good about not barking or whining too excessively. She doesn't bark when people leave or come back through the front door (which I'm incredibly grateful for) or when I go into a different room, but as soon as I go into the bathroom and shut the door she immediately starts screaming and howling like she's being stabbed (and boy, is it loud) and it's only when I go into the bathroom. She only does this with me; she has no problem with either of my roommates going in and out of the bathroom, but once I do, she starts carrying on. I don't give her any attention when she cries like that so I'm trying not to encourage the behavior and sometimes I'll usually do other things right after I come out to try to show her that I didn't come back out simply because she complained like that, but it makes no difference to her and she continues to complain whenever I go into the bathroom for as long as I'm in there, even if it's just to brush my teeth and stops the second I open the door again. I really don't want her bothering the neighbors so how can I get her to calm down when I go into the bathroom?

Any advice would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:28 am
Maybe try to keep the door open when you're brushing your teeth or small things. Not when you're using the toilet of course. That would be awkward.

Give him a cookie when he has been quiet. But just keep ignoring it.

You could try the click-system.
Takes a lot of time tho.  

pompoennetje

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:14 am
Can your roommates distract him? Like with play, or asking him to sit for cookies?

Try leaving the door open and walking in and out repeatedly. Then maybe close it half way, then just leave it open a crack. If the dog follows you in, maybe let him? Let close the door, do what you gotta do, continue to ignore him but just mixing it up a bit might help settle him. How long has this been going on? Because like most attention seeking behaviors, "extinction" (ignoring) usually prevails in the end.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:18 am
i faced the same problum with my puppy. all i did was take her into the bathroom with me and she was quite and now that she is older she just sits out side the bathroom and she is quite  

coach AUTEM

PandaTeddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:25 am
Dianda Panda
Maybe try to keep the door open when you're brushing your teeth or small things. Not when you're using the toilet of course. That would be awkward.

Give him a cookie when he has been quiet. But just keep ignoring it.

You could try the click-system.
Takes a lot of time tho.

I've actually been brushing my teeth in the kitchen now because of this. Time isn't a problem for me; I know what sort of responsibility I was committing to when I adopted her so I'm willing to put in the necessary effort to raise her to be well-behaved. I'm not sure where I might be able to buy a clicker though.

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Can your roommates distract him? Like with play, or asking him to sit for cookies?

Try leaving the door open and walking in and out repeatedly. Then maybe close it half way, then just leave it open a crack. If the dog follows you in, maybe let him? Let close the door, do what you gotta do, continue to ignore him but just mixing it up a bit might help settle him. How long has this been going on? Because like most attention seeking behaviors, "extinction" (ignoring) usually prevails in the end.

Tried working on this a bit this morning. She did pretty well with me just going in there, closing the door about half-way, staying in there a few minute or so and then coming out. I did this a few times and she didn't seem to have much of a problem with that, but once I tried to push the door (not shut all the way, but just enough that it was only open a crack) she started whining again so I've still got some work to do.
It's been going on for about a month (since the end of March). I'll keep working on this and hopefully soon she'll make it to the point where she can remain calm with the door shut all the way.

coach AUTEM
i faced the same problum with my puppy. all i did was take her into the bathroom with me and she was quite and now that she is older she just sits out side the bathroom and she is quite

There actually isn't even enough room in there for her to come in with me even if I allowed her to follow me in. One of my roommates has two cats and the litterbox is kept in there so that, the toilet, and the sink take up all the room there is in the downstairs bathroom.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff