Kalderash was bone tired.

Sometimes life was interesting for the brown lioness. Other times, it felt like it was just a whole lot of work in between naps. Right now, it was more like the latter. She had been working on this den of hers for three or four days straight. She could not remember exactly when she had started, but she was certainly looking forward to when she would be done. Hopefully it would all be worth it in the end. She had to make sure it was big enough for herself, and for anyone who might want to live there with her. And cubs, maybe, one day. Yes, she was preparing for a future she did not yet have, but where was the harm in that?

She knew things would work out eventually, when they were supposed to.

A bit wish-washy in personality, Kalderash was more akin to the gypsy-ish creatures of the lands rather than the hunters and the fighters. She liked to have fun, relax, and ponder the universe. Or at least, the savannah and the stars above her. She knew everything she thought she needed to know, and learned things based on what she did not know she needed.

She had managed to dig out a rather deep cave for herself. It was spacious and warm, and the rain couldn’t get in because she made sure to dig a trench. She would make sure to keep it maintained, as well. She was actually rather proud of what she had done so far. Maybe she could make some furs and line the den with them, make a nice bed. She would worry about all that in the morning, though. Tonight she had a well earned rest to get to.

“Does anyone live here?”

A voice broke her peace. She opened her eyes and looked up to the mouth of her den, spotting a black form that she thought was a shadow. Red eyes blinked at her, though, and she realized she was looking at another lioness. One that looked rather tired herself.

“I do.”

“Who are you?”

“The… lion who made this den. And who lives here. That is what you asked. My name is Kalderash. Come in, please, you look tired and cold. You can stay here if you want to, for as long as you’d like. Just so long as you don’t try to take it from me. I just built this place, and I will rip your throat out if you try and take it. Okay?” She sounded rather playful, so Ulozi let the threat slip.

“Well, thank you. I’ll just stay for tonight. I’m just passing through and my legs are hurting. I just need to lay down for a bit, okay?”

“I didn’t ask, but sure,” Kalderash chuckled, watching as Ulozi came in and settled down on the opposite side of the den. The brown lioness got up and went over to her, pointedly laying down beside her. Sharing some warmth. Ulozi was shaking, as it was a rather cold night this evening. Ulozi sighed. She did not have the energy to argue or try and get away from the show of kindness, instead leaning toward the warm body. She needed the heat and would gladly take what was offered at this point. Kalderash watched her, noting that she was a rather large lioness. She must have had some strong genes. Not fat, just large in body and legs, much bigger than Kalderash herself was.

That didn’t bother her.

“What’s your name?”

“Oh. It’s Ulozi. Sorry. I don’t really introduce myself all that much. I mostly just…” ignore people. Avoid all contact. Certainly stay away from conversations. But tonight was different. She sighed and leaned a bit more toward Kalderash, closing her eyes. She was still awake, but resting comfortably. “This is a nice place you’ve got here. Looks new, too. I mean. From the outside. With all that dirt out there.”

Kalderash hummed.

“Good eye. Yes, that’s fairly new still. I was going to move on to clearing that out next, now that I have the cave dug out and I think I have the size right. I don’t wanna need to rebuild it, you know. Find out I dug it wrong and have to adjust it. Then I’d just have to clean out all the dirt again.”

She shook her head, though Ulozi was not watching. Kalderash cast a glance around, smiling proudly. It was nice to have someone else taking notice of her work. She did not need compliments, at least, just recognition that hard work had been done.

“That would make sense,” Ulozi said sleepily. “Enough room for what? Do you have a family?”

“Not yet, but I’d like to have one, one day, you know. But it was so difficult to get this den made on my own, I didn’t want to think about having to change it all later. So I just opted to do the extra work and make it ready just in case. And then, if a male comes my way, or I do make a family, I’ll have room. And hey, look, I have enough space to take in random, exhausted strangers who need a place to stay, and be warm. In the summer, it would be very cool during the day, as well.”

“You put a lot of thought into this…”

“Well. It’s my home. It’s not like I’m going to be going anywhere, and doing it all again. I plan on living here, for as long as may be.” Kalderash smiled, thinking about it. Ulozi opened one eye to look at her, wondering what it was like to know she would be happy in this simple place. No wandering. How could she know this was where her home was? What if there was some place better out there, and by settling for this she was missing it? Ulozi would keep wandering, for now, though she would keep an eye out for this place again, some day. See if Kalderash was telling the truth.

She closed her eyes again, this time falling to sleep. Kalderash settled down as well, closing her eyes and sighing softly. She fell to sleep beside her temporary house guest. She could get used to sleeping next to someone, she decided, though the question would always be who. Or if it would always be wanderers passing through.

“Good night, Ulozi.” She sighed, deciding not to fret about anything she could not possibly predict or know. What came would be, and what did not was simply not her destiny. She would be happy in the end.

(Word Count in Word: 1,10 cool