The desert was there before them and they stood on the edge of the grass, preparing themselves for a long trek across the dunes under the blazing sun. They knew it would be hard. They could get lost, starve or – more likely – die of thirst. It was a harsh landscape, unkind and merciless to those who wished to dwell upon it. Roho struggled to believe there could be a pride of lions out there amongst the sand. How did they live? What prey did they hunt and how did they find enough water to support themselves? She felt those doubts rekindle and it took her a moment to push them away. She had already entrusted Nawvlee with her worries and he had convinced her that this was right – as she knew he would. Nawvlee had confidence in this path and his confidence was infectious.

“Sir!” She called out to her leader. “I will try and find us some food before we wander out into the desert.” She doubted there would be much more than rodents and hares out here so close to the sands, but she had to at least try. If they ate a light meal, the energy would give them the reserves they needed to make it to safety.

For, as dangerous as the desert was, Roho was beginning to think that it might be enough to keep the Nergüi away. After all, a small band like them would find it difficult enough. A huge pride managing to find its way across? Even more unlikely!

For the first time in a long while she felt her spirits live and, with a sharp nod to the others, she turned and loped off. She heard Adiel and the others begin to settle or move off on their own quests to find food. Perhaps one of them would be lucky.

The dark red female made certain that no other lions were around and then, struck out across the dusty plains, casting her head about to catch the scent of any prey animals close by. She was in luck. Just across the way, grazing close to a tangle of thorny bushes, a small number of hares grazed, their long ears folded back against their necks, their heads down as they cropped the blades of grass. They seemed relaxed, unable to catch her scent thanks to the wind direction, and had no idea of what danger they would find themselves in. Roho smirked to herself as she lowered into a crouch, thankful for the long tufts of grass that helped mask her from view.

She crept forwards.

Hunting was almost as good as training and she had ensured that all her little students were good at all aspects of lion life. Hunting taught patience and quiet, how to stalk and ambush. And, what worked on a hare would also work on a lion if he was not alert. She remembered the echoes of her students’ complaints as she forced them to go on a hunt, leading them into it and encouraging them. Any who failed would have to try and try again until they succeeded, unable to join in any of the other training until they had passed that test. However, when they did manage to land a kill, the pride that glowed in their faces was something to behold and they had come to realise that hunting was not all that bad. After all, everyone needed to eat.

Roho was close now. She could see the liquid gleam in their eyes; see the wave of their fine hair across the sleek curves of their backs. See the hind legs tense as they hopped across to a new patch of grass. The lioness settled herself and prepared for the perfect moment to strike.

It came a second later. She launched herself up from the grass, a snarl ripping from her throat, and came crushing down on the closest hare. The creature squealed in fear, writhing under her paws, kicking with its hind legs. Its fellows had all taken flight, leaving their comrade to its fate.

Something struck against Roho’s shoulder.

The lioness blinked and turned her head to see who had dared to attack her, shocked to see one of the small hares glaring at her defiantly. Why was it still here and what exactly was it trying to do?

“Please let him go.” The hare chattered. “He’s not well.”

“I don’t make a habit of talking to my food.” The lioness replied sharply. “Go away before I pounce you, too.”

The hare shuddered but did not move. “Please, lioness, he really isn’t well. Sparing him could be doing yourself a favour, too.”

“I need to eat.” Roho snapped.

“I know. I know. We understand that but…” She trailed, her large, almond-shaped eyes beseeching. “Not him.”

The hare beneath Roho’s paws fell still and his head lolled to the side. “Doria, go. Run!”

“I can’t!” The little hare exclaimed. “Please lioness, will you accept a trade?”

“A trade? Your life for his? How noble of you.”

Doria shook her head. “I do not want to die either, lioness. What I offer you might be more helpful in the long run. I beg of you to listen.”

Roho growled but said nothing to stop the hare from doing so.

“You head into the desert, yes? Where the other red lions live? I can give you something that will make the crossing easier.”

Roho snorted. “Like what? Wings?”

“Nothing so glamorous.” The hare replied. “I know of herbs that can help with dehydration. They grow close by.”

“Herbs?”

“They work if eaten.” Doria insisted.

“You think I’d fall for such a trick?” Roho hissed. “I know of poisonous plants, you little wretch. I say you better leave before I decide to capture you as well.”

“It’s not a lie! I wouldn’t do that.”

“Yes you would. That’s what I would do.” She leaned towards Doria and sneered menacingly. “You want to stay to watch your friend die?”

The hare shook her head sadly. “No…”

“Then hop off, then.”

The other hare – who had been lying quite still beneath her paws – reacted at that moment. With a fierce kick and a screech of anger, he set his teeth deep into Roho’s paw and pushed down hard. The lioness cried out in pain, lifting her paw and trying in a desperate attempt to shake him free. Then, suddenly, the hare released his hold and was off, darting across the grass to safety.

Roho roared in rage and Doria shrank back in fear.

“You little—“ She growled menacingly. “If I can’t have him, then it’ll have to be you.” She pounced but the female hare was too quick-footed.

“I’m sorry! I did try and trade with you!” She called back over her shoulder as she made her own escape, following in the path of her fellow.

Roho watched on helplessly, knowing it would be a useless effort to chase after them now. They were weak, but they were swift and by now they’d be huddled amongst the thorns, beating hearts pressed to the grounds as they waited for the danger to pass.

Cursing, she turned back to meet up with the others, hoping that they had had more success than her. The goats in the mountains had been far easier prey to deal with.

Less chatty for one thing.

/fin.