”Don’t laugh.” She snapped, her face suddenly pained with uncharacteristic embarrassment. “Guiren, stop it. It’s not funny.”

The laughter continued, though much more quietly. “I’m sorry, Roho. You’re determination and confidence is something to behold. I’m touched by your words. Truly. But have you stopped to take a look at me recently?” He drew closer. “Grey hair, Roho. I’m getting old. And you. You’re a female barely into adulthood!”

She frowned. “Don’t say that. I am an adult, even if I haven’t been one for all that long. I’m also a fully-fledged soldier with good career aspects, if you recall.”

He chuckled again. “So you don’t deny that I’m old?”

“What’s wrong with you, Guiren? Age doesn’t matter. You’re older than me, but you’re still strong and able-bodied. I saw you in training this morning.” She paused, realising that he might take that as she’d been secretly stalking him. “You fight with experience and wisdom that exceeds that of a younger lion. I want a strong and noble male as my mate. Someone I respect. That lion is you.”

“You make it sound like a business proposition.”

“I suppose – in a way – it is. I am not in need of your heart, Guiren. All I seek is a trustworthy companion and the opportunity to procreate.”

The lion sat and regarded her thoughtfully. The amusement was gone from his face now, replaced by seriousness. Roho stood still and met that unblinking gaze.

“You are beautiful.” He began admiringly and the genuine note to his voice startled her. She wasn’t a particularly romantic creature by any means and her tomboyish ways tended to keep such flattery at bay. Yes, she’d always had a crush on this male but she’d never fluttered or swooned around him. Instead she had opted for the direct approach once she had come of age. Just come out and ask: I would like to be your mate if you are interested.

“I have watched your training with interest, I admit. You are a fine female and I think we would do well together. But Roho, I am older and that does lead to some disadvantages, the foremost being fertility. If you wish for cubs it could be a struggle.”

“There are no other males in the pride who I would want to have cubs with, Guiren. I am not so desperate to be a mother that I would lower my standards.”

He blinked, looking amused again. “I would be a fool to say that I do not find the idea attractive.” The male admitted. “And if you are willing to put up with me, then who am I to say no?” He leaned forwards and drew a forearm around her shoulders, pulling her close. “There’s still time to change your mind.”

She smiled, leaning closer to press her forehead to his.

A tear ran down the curve of Roho’s cheek, turned to pearl beneath the moonlight. She had never expected to grow so close to Guiren. He was a good, noble male with strong genes and fine looks. Yet she had never considered herself the type to be led by her heart in such a way. Within only a few weeks their companionship had transformed and she’d fallen completely in love with him. It had happened so fast and unexpectedly that she had felt momentarily out of control. When she told him how she felt he’d laughed and said that was love was like. And when he, too, admitted to her his feelings of attachment, there was never a more brighter day in her life.

They had tried for children from the first moment of their relationship and, though it was seeming that Guiren might have been right about his low fertility, Roho could certainly say she had no regrets. He had made her incredibly happy and at least, having no children with him, had spared her the torture of having them ripped away from her, too. It was bad enough losing him.

Again she recalled the moment when he fell in battle. She had leapt to his side, determined to protect him. A short and brutal clash had ensued and then she was being pinned to the ground and dragged away. She had thrashed wildly to get free, screaming and screaming his name.

Guiren.

Her own scream echoed in her ears even now, so filled with anguish and despair.

He lifted his eyes to look at her and the sad smile that twitched at the corners of his mouth. Then that face she had grown to love transformed. The eyes in the head lost their gleam and the face became hollow.

Roho knew what it was like to witness the body losing its soul.

Another tear joined the first and she lifted a paw to wipe them away, smearing the moisture into her fur. She didn’t want to seem weak and pathetic, but right now it was hard to keep it all together. Muffling the sound of a sob into the ground, she shifted her weight and closed her eyes again, willing sleep to come to her. Across the way she heard the sound of Nawvlee’s footsteps as he patrolled. The sound helped to calm her and eventually sleep came.

”I wonder what life will be like when I’m no longer around.”

“Don’t say things like that, Guiren.”

“It’s an odd thing, to think that life will continue even after you are gone. Lions still die and lions are still born and those you once knew move on.”

“But those lions take your memories with them.”

“When I did, Roho, I want you to be able to move on with your life. Find another mate. Raise more children. Continue to fight for your career and achieve your goals. Too often have I seen grief ruin a lion. It would make me unhappy to see the same for you.”

“You worry too much. I am strong. I will be fine.”

“I do hope so.”

“I will have your memories and your love with me always, Guiren. And, if the preaching of some ring true, death is not the end, but a new beginning.”

“A new beginning indeed.”

/fin.