They had made arrangements for Kefir to come and see her later that day and, as the young female approached she could see the grey male was already there. He was yet to notice her, his head turned out towards the horizon, watching some unknown thing. Perhaps that was how she often looked; staring out across the lands, fearful of what she might see and yet unable to turn away. If she turned away…death would come for her. She knew that. Mizuka knew that. They all knew it. So none of them could afford to look away from what frightened them. She just wondered whether one day she would see those lions marching towards them. Wondered whether she would have to go through it all again and what she would do to make sure that history didn’t repeat itself. In any case, the horizon was empty and soon they would be on the move again, ever increasing the distance between themselves and the beautiful mountains of Hongshan. Perhaps, someday, they could return there and start again, fulfil Jianjun’s dream for him. It was a pleasant thought.

“So you came, kid.” She called as she drew nearer, stepping up alongside him and smiling at the startled expression that crossed his face. That was payback for him startling her.

“You didn’t think I would?” He squeaked.

“I had my doubts.” She replied flippantly. “Come then, are you ready?”

The young male nodded eagerly and followed her out across to an open expanse of land that was void of rocks. A nice smooth place for them to train for a while. Roho was actually looking forward to this. Training gave her a release. It helped her to forget. It filled her body with warmth and it hummed through her body, chasing away the shadows. She didn’t expect this to be much of a fight, but training was just that. No one would get hurt but it was good for the mind, body and soul.

It healed.

“I have to warn you first. This is the first time I’ve given anyone a crash course. What you learn here today you will have to practise on a daily basis. If you lose interest, or slack off, then you will forget and you will be back where you started. Do you have someone to train with?”

“My sisters and older brothers.” Kefir replied smoothly. He was almost as big as Dia now. Soon they would be able to train together and he could prove his worth to his family. All he wanted was to try and be what they wanted him to be. Yet…somehow, he’d never had it in him. He was happy to be the baby of the family, to allow himself to be mothered and preened and spoiled. But now the teasing was getting to him and he realised that someday soon he would be an adult, expected to pull his own weight.

“Good.” Roho responded, smoothing the ground beneath her paws and settling her weight evenly. “Now, see this? See how I stand? This is a bracing position. It locks you to the ground and allows you to stay on your feet, putting your energy into staying upright if you’re charged.”

“I thought we were going to learn how to fight.”

The snarl ripped free from her throat and she lashed at the air in front of his face. Kefir flinched away from her and snapped his jaws closed. He’d forgotten, only briefly, that this female was a taskmaster indeed. And so, under Roho’s strict observation, Kefir arranged his body as he saw her do, flinching at her jibes and whimpering as she cuffed him.

“No, not like that. Feel the ground, use it to anchor you. Feel it as if it is a part of you. Spread your paws a little wider, press your claws down. That’s it.” She smacked him on the shoulders. “Straighten your back, put strength into your spine and LOWER YOUR HEAD!” After much ranting, Kefir finally managed to get himself in a good brace position. Nodding with satisfaction she backed away and readied herself. “Now, Kefir, whatever you do. Don’t move. I’m going to charge you as an enemy would. When I do, you’re to brace yourself and push back. Use the energy in your lower back and hind legs to keep yourself in position. Push into my charge. Do it right and I should go down, giving you the opportunity to finish me off.”

She charged without warning and the surprise in Kefir’s face told her that this was going to be a failed attempt. Credit to him, he did find the correct bracing position. Yet as she threw herself at him and they collided, he reared up to meet her. The lack of connection between his front paws and the ground meant that he twisted backwards and they both landed awkwardly.

With a huff, Roho untangled herself from the young male and snorted. “Again.”

So they did. Again and again and again until he’d had three successful attempts in a row. By this time the sun was dropping and they were losing light fast. “We’ll round up with a few other tricks I can teach you.” She gave him a firm push on the side and he lay down, enabling her to push him onto his back and pin him – much as she had during their unexpected meeting that morning. “Answer me this: How would you escape from being pinned?”

“Uhhh…”

Rolling her eyes, Roho strengthened her grip, pressing down against his neck. “See where I stand now? In order to pin you down I have to be standing over you. If I tried to pin you from the side, you could roll out of trouble. However, I can only pin you so far. In this typical stance, your front half is made useless but your hind legs…” She gestured towards them – currently resting against the ground.

Kefir’s eyes lit with understanding and, tensing the muscles in his back he lifted his lower quarters up, pressing his forepaws against her stomach.

“Good, you’ve got it. A good shove to the stomach and I’ll have to release you.” She did so, hopping sideways and allowing him to gain his feet.

“The last piece of advice I’ll give to you is this: remember I mentioned about using your anger earlier?”

“Uh huh.”

“Anger is useful but it can also be dangerous. Use it to drive you but never to control you. Anger heats and gives motivation but if left untamed it can drive you to stupidity and death. Learn to harness it and control it.”

Kefir really looked like he didn’t understand and said so.

“Don’t worry. You will someday.”

“You are a good fighter.” Kefir admired.

Out across the way the sound of a lion calling drew Roho’s attention. It was Nawvlee. Looking for her? Probably. “I must go. They’re waiting for me.”

“Are you all great warriors?”

Thinking of her brother, Roho’s face twisted. “Most of us.”

“Will I ever see you again?”

“Possible but…unlikely.”

“I wish you would tell me where you go.”

“To find other warriors like us. The land is full of danger and we wish to strengthen ourselves against it. That is all you need to know, kid.”

“Well, thank you.” He replied. “Wait! I don’t even know your name.”

She looked surprised, uncertain whether she’d given it or not. She supposed, in truth, it did not matter if she gave it to him. After all, the Nergüi had never known her name. She threw him a crooked grin and nodded. “Roho. I am Roho.” And then she moved off, not looking back.

But if she had she might have seen the young face of Kefir watching after her with admiration there in his eyes.

/fin.