Welcome to Gaia! ::

Green; The Eco Guild [LARGEST ON GAIA!]

Back to Guilds

If you love the earth, and want to be part of a group with the same ideals, this is the guild for you! 

Tags: Ecosystem, green, earth, water, clean 

Reply 16:: Gardening!
CHALLENGE! Guild Garden?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you do this?
  yes!
View Results

Sakakikala
Crew

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:48 am
Something that could be fun!

In a different guild, I learned there's a hobo way to do square foot gardening(for instance if you have a porch but no yard).

You get one of those long and wide flat containers(the kind you store clothes in) and you put crushed cans n the bottom for drainage. You then cover it in soil and start planting!

This is a challenge for all the guildies!

If you don't have that kind of space but maybe a teensy bit of shelf space, or even a couple of windowsills, use the smaller plastic shoe boxes! smile

My challenge is for everyone in the guild to set up at least one shoebox sized garden if you have never gardened before!(Yes I will be doing this too)

This thread will be sort of a hub, post pictures and question! I will be working on this this evening, so I can make a video. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:40 am
Alrighty everyone! I planted my first container! Dunno about you all!

Get postin! smile  

Sakakikala
Crew

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Figuren

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:29 am
Iii'm using a windowsill to start my tomatoes and peppers in egg cartons and other small containers. I use a small balcony to grow herbs like thyme, basil, chives and parsely, aaaand I have a bunch of other little boxes for the same kinda thing. I used leftover wooden boxes and recycled fabric to hold in moisture, and the drainage is pretty easy for there.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:45 pm
I started a flower garden a few weeks ago...it's doing well!
Next I'll start a vegetable garden out back. There's a ton of wasted space back there...nothing but grass and weeds..

getmeoffthishellsite

Hot Lop

Sakakikala
Crew

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:19 am
my little container garden is dying. It sprouted really well and then started dying. ;_;
Its of herbs and whatnot.  
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:51 pm
This weekend I started a bunch of peas, beans, quinoa, amaranth, carrots, kale and lettuce. Also planting potatoes soon. I do have a decent bit of space and I'm hoping to expand so I can grow food year round and feed myself that way.

Maybe I'll post some pictures later.  

Figuren

getmeoffthishellsite

Hot Lop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:07 pm
I started some chives, bell peppers, and an orange tree in little plastic cups. No sprouts yet, and my flower garden is withering away sad my dad suspects some fertilizer spikes that are very old. One half is doing well and the other half was wiped out. My salivas are okay ^^ just so much grass to eliminate.

16:: Gardening!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games