and be blue
Vice Captain

Ruthless Nerd

20,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:11 am
In the thread recently, there has been quite an outcropping of fabulous Kimeti art of all sorts, from head shots to chibis, full paintings to quick sketches to silly bobble heads.

And we love it all.

So, in order to both encourage this behavior and reward you for your fabulous efforts, this month we are hosting an art contest.

Kinds of art accepted
Any kind of art will be allowed in this contest, from real medium drawings to digital illustrations to knitting or cross stitching or baking or anything else in the world that you can dream up. The only requirement is that it must be visual art. Meaning we have to be able to look at it. There may even be awards passed out for creative mediums! Just make sure it's made only by you, and if any stock/resources/bases/anything else are used, properly credit them.

Subjects of art accepted
Your art has to relate to Matope. That's the requirement. This means you can submit art of Kimeti, Kiokote, the swamp, familiars, or hell, even your characters as you imagine they would look in human form. We only request that it be based on the world of Matope, and it not be art of an OC you have elsewhere that you're just digging up and recycling. Make it special and make it for this contest, please!

Other basic info
The contest starts now and ends Monday, March 21st.

The prizes include an edited semi-custom by blue for 'best overall', unedited semi-customs awarded to other top picks, and chibi plushie kimeti give out as we so desire!

How to enter
Just fill out the following information and post in this thread.
You can enter as many pieces of art as you would like, with no limits.

[b]Link to art:[/b] [url=URL]Here it is![/url]
[b]Any additional information:[/b] Explain what it is, if you feel a need.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:56 pm
Link to art: Here it is!
Any additional information: Human-ish!HH. <3

Any additional information: Inspired by this line from the front page: "The Swamp is home, and God; Mother and Father, and Sister and Brother." I've always thought of the personification of the swamp as a female, so I used the shadow of the doe.

Used:
A screen shot from the um_fild03 map on Ragnarok Online, taken by moi.
Textures: [ x ] [ x ] [ x ] [ x ] [ x ]
Various brushes by Axeraider70
A font called "Sea Dreams"
And of course the base of Matope's lovely doe. <3  

abkvs
Crew

Trash Vampire

xelhaspixiestix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:47 pm
Any additional information: No kimeti had ever been so brave.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:09 pm
Any additional information: It's evil. PURE evil. D:  

Megaptera Novaeangliae

Amizade

Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:21 am
Any additional information: Got the idea from this. Of course, mine is a lot more fail... it looked better before I stuck it down with glue (I forgot to make the yellow dip down a bit...) and when I was just using blutack... >:
UGH, the more I look at it, the more I don't like it... *must stop thinking about it and just submit. ; A;  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:25 pm
Any additional information: It's a cow'meti.

eta:
Any additional information: I was bored and it is cute.  

sheepcakes

Cosmic Bauble

42,750 Points
  • Pieversity 200
  • Blob's To You 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Flayre The Pyro Girl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:10 pm
Any additional information: Anthrometi Cards!! Anthrometi is done in soft pastels on plain paper with a glitter red nail polish for lips and markings. Background is purple card stock with a teal foil.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:01 pm
Any additional information: Meets-the-Sea. Running, or something. With noodle legs. Woo!

Any additional information: Amigurumi Havemercy! Pattern modified from this one of a jack russell terrier. Hand knit and embroidered. Also I have so many pictures of her, if you need or want to see them.  

hybridic

Obsessive Shapeshifter

lostandtold

9,825 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:35 pm
Any additional information: Jun D's Moonfrost-Like-Ashes, humanized and fantasy-ized as an ice mage.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:07 pm
Any additional information: What I think a lady eldermeti might look like giving a blessing... in my imagination, there's a lightshow, lol  

thrivis

Bashful Cultist

phoenix kiss
Crew

Magical Girl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:19 pm
Any additional information: Wood Spider, done in Prismacolors. c:

Any additional information: Nettle an' Crunch. xD  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:17 pm
Is it stupid that I feel really uneasy about submitting four entries? Four is a direly unlucky number in Chinese and - okay, it's stupid. I originally had a definite fifth planned, but just couldn't do it in time and it ended up as Maxx's entry instead, being a concept he is very much faster with. I apologise for any eye-raep that might ensue with the following links. ;_; Go see Maxx's instead. 8D

Any additional information: My Little Reticent Smiles! Technically, Lolli's Little Reticent Smiles. Somehow, I felt an MLP:G4-style entry from me was obligatory, and I wanted to do something homagey. So Reticent Smiles was the perfect candidate since 1. Lolli's doing actual MLP'meti 2. she's got hair and a cutie-mark already 3. her personality is pretty good for a Fluttershy match, and she's even got a pet for it. Also, I see her a lot since Maxx keeps staring at that RP he's doing with her. Lolli! So this is a homage to the infamous pre-production Fluttershy (nee Posey) picture that was part of the batch that leaked early, exciting (and misleading) eager ponyfans. (Just to clarify, I do mean homage rather than directly referenced, since the pre-production style has changed considerably since, making direct ref pretty much impossible. Bits of the text, however, were ripped off our My Little Phony shop logo, originally ripped off the official Hasbro logo by Maxx D. 8D) A turtle is not quite a bunny, but I quite like it this way. Hope you like, Lolli!

Any additional information: One of the two ATCs (2.5"x3.5") that I'd been planning for a while. I feel terrible because I had been loathe to use my dusty, ancient colour pencils for it, being that I could never get them to go properly on the ATC card I use, and I can never scan colour pencil well. I did it anyway because I just did not have the colours to do this in any other physical medium, and, surprise, surprise, my actual ineptitude is bad enough, but the scan hurts. Close-up of Anger is a Cage (+bit of wing) at sunset, looking out under the cover of dead branches. I love the contrast between his wings and his agoraphobia, and wanted to do something evoking that. So sorry about the lousy qual, blue. DX

Any additional information: The other ATC (2.5"x3.5" - I left the image size bigger since Copic scans better sobsob), and actually that shot of Bitterleaf that I told Rejam I'd do about two months ago... I experimented with a lot of things in this one (and can say with surety that at least the glowing marking experiment did not work) and direly hope the result is not too mangled. Bitterleaf sea-fishing at dawn! Rejam, whenever you see this, I hope you'll forgive me for it. ^^;;

Any additional information: And finally, this is the one that destroyed me. It will look horribly simplistic and amateurish to all you incredible digital wizards, but doing this digitally drove me to tears. I cajoled, cried, sulked and slaved over this for a disproportionately long time - it reached the stage where I had to break it up into days to reduce the self-loathing to manageable amounts (that and I was rushing an RL deadline, so I had to work in furious 30-minute-lunchbreak per day bursts XD;; ). The depth of my despair was when, after spending two days rendering a hideous sky, my hatred got too much to bear and I had to sub in some guy's stock photo instead. Yes. I tried, but the faint impression of clouds in the background is very gratefully courtesy of Mr. ~dobiek's Grey Cloud Texture. The concept of this piece is very dear to me, being the sequel to the scribbling of Maxx's The Sun Also Rises and my Moonfrost-like-Ashes' first meeting. For many months, if not years, after that meeting, he is under the impression that she is either a figment of his imagination or a ghost, but can never bring himself to turn his eye upon another doe nonetheless. When he discovers that she is in fact real, he sets off immediately to find her - and seeing her in the exact same spot, all grown-up now and glowing in the moonlight, he faces the fulfilment of his constant longing. For him, anyway. She's just all 'who's this weirdo interrupting my work again'.

And that's it. Actually, there were so many other 'meti I wanted to draw this month, but it's just as well I could only do these, or I'd probably exceed the post text limit. |: Sorry for all the tldr, I blame it on the sleep deprivation! Good luck, all - and thank you so much for the contest, blue!

Jun D
Crew

Shoujo Shounen

Maxx D
Crew

Garbage Cat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:17 pm
Link to art: LIVE KIMETI SIGHTING!!! [Youtube Video] BLUE TURN UP YOUR SPEAKERS

Additional pictures: Why is there a Nettle Handpuppet?! | Nettle in the Swamp | Nettle Eats a Camera and then some

Credits:
Video edited and Nettle hand-puppet constructed & 'acted' by Maxx D.
Idea originated from Jun D [also video footage from necessity because I cannot grump and tape at the same time].
Text courtesy of Kitty Spright.
Swamp noises from http://www.freesound.org, whale song from http://soundbible.com.
Background from Sungei Buloh, those lying, lying buggers.

Any additional information: This is going to need quite a bit of explanation...

Like the video credits say, the idea was wholly Jun's, and he really wanted to have it exist but past his 4338901 entries and an impending deadline could not finish. Heroically, using hidden talents passed down from generation to generation, I came to his rescue despite a project deadline and a presentation that week to ambitiously create a Nettle handpuppet out of a (new) sock, massacring three sheets of helpless felt and Jun's hand which was in the sock while I was trying not to kill myself while securing the little felty pieces on. As an aside, his ears and horns are wired.

So a week later (yesterday) we finally cleared some time to go to the local swamp [no kidding, the Sungei Buloh nature reserve is a mangrove swamp] via THREE FECKING HOURS of public transport and walking which was definitely not 15 minutes as the gorram website claimed. So by the time we got there the park was going to bloody close. So we hurried in and I descended a pile of rocks infested with red ants for the mangrove roots setting to stick my arm up for what were apparently 29 long shots of Nettle screaming at kids on his lawn, which were of course taken by Jun, also in part because I didn't want him to be subject to red ants [he's allergic to everything]. Anyway, when we got out the bus services to the nearest subway station had stopped and then we took the most freaking expensive taxi ride I've ever taken back home across the island.

I was feeling fine but today it looks like I have a total of 12 fiery ant bites and about four mosquito bites, while Jun has around 10 unidentified bites. Hm. If we end up in the hospital for limb amputation Blue, the bill is going to you. neutral  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:08 pm
Any additional information: A whole bunch of Kimeti sprites! :B
I got kinda burned out, so not quite the whole rainbow I was planning. oooooh well!  

Tiarana

Dangerous Lover

theCorniest
Crew

Colorful Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:27 pm
Any additional information: Yanno that night I stayed up way too late and drew people's kimeti, and then the next couple of days after when I did a few more, in nicer quality?

that's like a bit more than half the drawings I think

Any additional information: Mote's cheetah wants to eat his songbird, and his dad is having a laugh at him.
If he keeps calling the cheetah that, it's gonna stick...

Wasn't even sure where I wanted to take this one, but I know I don't wanna try to replicate WB's coloring. SO. Flats for you.  
Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff