Reply The Foreign Languages Guild
Easiest languages for self-study?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lover_2_The_Fire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:52 pm
I was just wondering if anyone else out there had any tips on what languages would be the easiest to self teach for native English speakers. English is kind of sort of my first language (it's really up for debate on what your definition of first language is), Japanese is my second, German my third, French my fourth (once again, really up for debate on whether my first language is French or English), and ASL is my fifth (Still learning this one).
I decided that maybe I would look to you guys on getting help with what languages would be the easiest to self teach, or maybe if you have any tips on how self teaching a certain language could be easier. So far, the list of really easy ones is ASL and Malay, mostly because both have really similar grammatical structures to English, and Malay has many words that are similar to their English counterparts. I first started learning about Malay when my father took my sister and I to Kuala Lampur last June, it's a really cool language, and the country has such an amazing culture.

So yeah, any tips or suggestions are gladly appreciated! Danke! Thanks! Merci!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:37 am
I heard Indonesian is easy. With the languages you already know, any Romance language would be simple, as would Latin. I'm finding Gaelic easy to learn, except for pronunciation of words, but BBC now has BBC Alba, so we could use that.

Hermonie Urameshi

Conservative Explorer

6,550 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Guildmember 100

UID12631612

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:39 pm
Korean and Spanish.

Or atleast, that is what I heard from my fellow students.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:41 pm
Mairante
Korean and Spanish.

Or atleast, that is what I heard from my fellow students.

In my opinion, Korean is very hard to teach yourself. Especially if you are not good with pronunciation or familiar with Asian languages. Even then, I had taken 3 years of Japanese in high school and tried to teach myself Korean. It wasn't the alphabet that got me, it was everything else!  

Oh!Sweet`Serenade

AnAnnoyinglyLongUsername

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:07 pm
Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, or a Scandinavian language would probably be your easiest and quickest to learn choices since you already have French and German mastered. I'm having moderate success with Russian. It's a bit more alien to a native Engish speaker so it does take longer to master, but if you can master Japanese, you can master Russian.  
The Foreign Languages Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games