• Waffles! 25
  • Bold Squire 75
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 am
reserved for Mythology overview and table of context

Origins and Antiquity.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:14 am
reserved for Legend overview and table of context

Heroines and things set in a more recent history.  

mindsend
Captain

Ghost Trash

17,975 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Bold Squire 75
  • Dragon Master 50

mindsend
Captain

Ghost Trash

17,975 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Bold Squire 75
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:19 am
Origin Of the Flock Myth goes here.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:02 am
Origin of the Northspring Harpies
Myths: How the Northspring Harpies (AKA the Hatetalons) came into existence.

The Northspring Harpies. The Hatetalons. To The Flock, these mares rank right up there with Skinwalkers, seen as little more than filthy monsters that make a mockery of what it is to be a hippogryph and have been a thorn in their side and a constant threat despite their smaller numbers because of their honor-less ways of fighting and lack of any sense of the sacredness of life.

The Flock has many tales of the Hatetalons origins, ranging from them being wrathful spirits that possess the bodies of deceased mares that did not live their lives properly, to the folly of males, to things that sting of a bitter truth and seem to be almost a memory of betrayal, and each family line may have their own variation.

The following is one of the most widely told tales.

Flock Mythology: Act of Treason or how the Northspring Hatetalons came to be

As all know, the Great Mother spirit, Then Flesh, was blessed with Three daughters of Harpy blood. They were strong, and beautiful, and bore many daughters. The youngest of these Grandchilden of the Great Mother Spirit however was a weakly child named Kitkun, and cruel in nature. While her sisters captured stallions and kept them safe away, only punishing when a stallion was mean, Kitkun would often take the nicest, strongest, and most loyal of the stallions and torment them when it was her turn to watch them, angered by their loyalty, and would take all of them as her personal toys, refusing to share with her sisters. She would also often argue and heckle her sisters. This gave Kitkun the nickname "Hatetalon" for she was a spiteful and cruel mare.

Meanwhile, the Eldest daughter of the three mares was named Avalyn, and she was the most beautiful and strong of the daughters, and captured many males on her own but only bred with them to reproduce, allowing the other mares to enjoy them for pleasure as well. She guarded the flock and fought fiercely to keep them safe, and she was often round with Child, the most like the Great Mother Spirit, and even gifted in Flight, having been born with the blessing of wings.

However Hatetalon grew jealous of her Eldest sister, unable to bear healthy children or win a fight against anything but the weaker stallions. One night she asked her Sister-in-arms for help "Sister Avalyn, Sister Avalyn. I have found a herd of deer with a Pure white doe while out hunting and wish to present her to Seda the Oracle-Mother, but you are our best hunter and would keep her hide clean. Please, join me in the hunt?"

Avalyn smiled, glad to help her family, and hopeful that this was a change in Hatetalons way, "Oracle-Mother would be honored by her hide, and our sisters would be blessed by her flesh, for she is an offering from the spirits, and we can join together in the hunt."

The two traveled for a day, and Little Hatetalon whined as the night fell, "Sister Avalyn, Sister Avalyn. I am tired and afraid of the dark."

"Then you shall sleep, and I will keep watch" The beautiful Avalyn stayed up through the night, and Skinwalkers prowled. She stayed the night fighting, and did not rest before they traveled once more.

The next night, Little Hatetalon cried again, "Sister Avalyn, Sister Avalyn. I am tired and hungry.."

"Then you shall sleep, and I will hunt." The Mare Avalyn spent the night hunting, and found a young boar.. The mare returned in the morning and hatetalon ate all of the food and even sucked marrow, leaving none for the hunter Avalyn, and without food or rest the two traveled once more.

The third night little Hatetalon Cried "Sister Avalyn, Sister Avalyn. I am thirsty"

"Then sleep, And I shall find you water." But the only water she could find was the dew on the leaves, which she gathered and gave to her sister, and they traveled once more, her throat parched, stomach empty, and eyes tired.

On the fourth cooed to her sister, "Sister Avalyn, Sister Avalyn. You look tired, cold, and hungry. Sleep and I will hunt for food and furs tonight. Tomorrow we will have the deer."

Pleased by her sisters kindness, The mare laid down to rest, "Thank you Sister Kitkun." - She called her by her true name as she was kind to even her cruelest of Sisters " And tomorrow we shall hunt together."

"yes Sister Avalyn." However Little Hatetalon went through the woods until the eldest mare was asleep, and quickly lashed her throat with her claws and teeth, mauling the Kindly mare in her exhausted and weakened sleep. But the act transformed the mare, and no matter how she washed she could not get the blood from her coat, her claws stained red with blood, her coat instead growing more and more red with it as she tried to remove it. Desperate the mare took Sister Avalyn's coat, wearing it to look like her instead, and buried her in the woods.

At home, Seda the Oracle-Mother wept for her daughter Avalyn, having a vision of her death, and sent three guards to find them.

"Sister Avalyn Sister Avalyn!" they cried, as they went through the forest, "Sister Kitkun Sister Kitkun!"

Little Hatetalon cried, "Sister Kitkun died and was buried. Only I, Sister Avalyn survived."

The guards cried for little Kitkun, thinking she had passed, and began their walk back.

On the first night, Little Hatetalon cried, "Guards, I am tired and Thirsty"

The guards looked confused, "Sister Avalyn, you are the best at finding water, and have been through this way. Can you not find water?"

Embarrassed and worried they might find her a fraud, the mare sniffed, "Of course I can" And she traveled through the night, and found nothing, not sleeping at all.

The night night she cried, "Guards, I'm Tired and Hungry"

"Sister Avalyn, you are our best hunter."

"Of course." But Kitkun could find nothing but a slim rabbit, while the guards each found a fattened duck.

The next night the group was stalked by skinwalkers, And the guards cried out "Sister Avalyn Sister Avalyn, you are our best warrior. Help us fight!"

Little hatetalon however tried to flee, and was surrounded. The skinwalkers attacked and tore off the skin she was wearing before the guards could kill the cursed ones, revealing her for Sister Kitkun beneath the skin she wore.

"Aya! Sister Avalyn is dead, and Hatetalon killed her!" The guards cried out, wailing as the mare fled into the forest, never to be a part of the Flock again.

Her hatred grew as she knew she would never go home, and wanted what the Flock wanted. Her daughters, weak and twisted as she was took her nickname as their own, and they became the Hatetalons. They hunt as scavengers on the unwary of the flock, and grow in hopes of one day destroy us. May we grow stronger as the spirits watch over us, so they may one day fall and we remove their pestilence from our world. Praise be to the Great spirit mother and the Sacred Trio who will aide our victory!

mindsend
Captain

Ghost Trash

17,975 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Bold Squire 75
  • Dragon Master 50
[OOC] Flock wide Resource guide and Flock Profiles

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers