Welcome to Gaia! ::

Metal Reign

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best and most successful metal guild. 

Tags: Metal 

Reply Within These Walls...
Metal bands you're supposed to love... but you don't. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Volvy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:04 pm
I know we all have those bands. The ones that people just CAN'T believe that any metal-head could dislike, and yet you do. I'm just curious to hear what some of them are, and if there's a reason you don't like them. I'll start:

I don't like Sodom. I know I'm supposed to. I know they had a huge impact on the development of black metal and death metal. But when I hear the vocals kick in on Agent Orange, I want to rip my ears off. It's all on the vocals. The rest of the band is fine, but I HATE the vocals on all the old Sodom stuff.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:58 pm
You're not supposed to like anything. scream

I hate Opeth and Dream Theater. :3  

Sparklechuu

Digital Malevolence
Vice Captain

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:38 pm
I don't really hate any of them.

But I really dont care much about:
Dream Theater
Fates Warning
King Diamond
Iron Maiden
Motorhead
Slayer
Megadeth
Pantera
Darkthrone
Bathory
Venom

thats I can think of at the moment.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:56 am
The metal band I least care about is ManOwar. Also Opeth, Darkthrone (otherwise I do like BM), Nightwish (also with Tarja) and Kiuas.

But out of these bands, they still do each have a few good songs that I occasionally like to listen to. Just as a whole I don't like them.  

Dark_Mana

Sparklechuu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:59 pm
I don't get the whole Manowar craze either. ._. Then again, i'm not a huge fan of heavy metal anyway, but I don't find their music appealing at all sweatdrop And many people consider it a metal staple... But ******** that scream  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:37 am
I can understand people not liking Manowar. I like Manowar and Dio in the same manner... 3/4 cheese 1/4 riffs. They never fail to make me smile with there serious business.

Bands I dont care for:
Any Devin Townsend outside of SYL (with acceptation to the song "Stagnant")
Black Metal as a whole (never really got it)
Katatonia
High on Fire
Candlemass  

Herr Kaiser Matthelm

Digital Malevolence
Vice Captain

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:42 pm
Herr Kaiser Matthelm
Bands I dont care for:
Any Devin Townsend outside of SYL (with acceptation to the song "Stagnant")

Really!? eek  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:00 pm
Digital Malevolence

King Diamond...

I find that offensive. :p

Umm.... as far as bands I don't much care for, Dragonforce and Dream Theater are at the top of the list (except for Panic Attack by DT)

Honestly, I can't think of any bands I DON'T really like, but if I had to say one, it would be.......

Huh, I'm drawing a blank. Every group has it's ups and downs (For instance, Devin Townsend is AMAZING in SYL, but I don't like a lot of their songs) but... yeah, Dragonforce, Dream Theater.

@Herr Kaiser: What about Punky Bruster? It was a cynical take on punk rock and I thought it was pretty funny, if not really good.

And what about the work he did with GWAR on their Beyond Hell album? The chorus for the song Tormentor is Devin himself.

EDIT: OH OH OH OH OH! I can't stand Venom or Gorgoroth. YEAH, I know Venom was said to be one of Chuck Schuldiner's biggest influences, but so freaking what?! The vocals are terrible, and while people say their songs are (for the most part) well-constructed, I just find them.... painful.  

Millenium Joker

Hilarious Lunatic

Herr Kaiser Matthelm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:46 am
Honestly, I find most of his stuff goofy in a bad way. Like "sunshine and happiness". What the ******** is that all about? His albums I find inconsistent and kinda lame.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:24 am
I haven't listened to much Devin Townsend, but I saw him with his Band and Ziltoid at Tuska last summer. I enjoyed the latter more, but overall I felt kinda... MEH.

Also Dio. Meh. Sure, some good songs, but nothing I'd see myself listening a lot to.  

Dark_Mana

Millenium Joker

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:07 am
Herr Kaiser Matthelm
Honestly, I find most of his stuff goofy in a bad way. Like "sunshine and happiness". What the ******** is that all about? His albums I find inconsistent and kinda lame.

I'm not saying he's some kind of musical genius- hell, I only like his work with SYL and the guest work he did with GWAR musically, but as far as lineups for his bands go, you can't deny that having Gene Hoglan as a drummer is one of the best decisions he made.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:42 pm
Millenium Joker
Herr Kaiser Matthelm

I'm not saying he's some kind of musical genius- hell, I only like his work with SYL and the guest work he did with GWAR musically, but as far as lineups for his bands go, you can't deny that having Gene Hoglan as a drummer is one of the best decisions he made.

I think you're missing the point of this thread. There have been several names brought up so far that I absolutely love (in fact 2 of my all-time favorite bands have been named) but nagging people about their selections here is kind of contrary to the whole point of naming bands that other people seem to think you should like WAAAY more than you actually do. wink  

Volvy

Digital Malevolence
Vice Captain

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:15 pm
Millenium Joker
Digital Malevolence

King Diamond...

I find that offensive. :p

I like Mercyful Fate, just not KD solo.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:42 pm
@Volvy: Aye, yer right, that was my bad. It's just.... Nnnnn, I get pretty fired up about DISCUSSING this kind of thing. It's easy to have a bunch of people say "I blah blah blah" and not have any further input, but I always find it better to get input as to why and see what others thing. Again, my bad.

@Digital: His work with Black Rose (Yeah, I have their reunion album sadly) wasn't nearly as impressive though. Having Andy LaRoque and Hank Sherman on guitars was what I think REALLY pushed the King into his spot in metal history.  

Millenium Joker

Hilarious Lunatic

Volvy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:21 pm
Millenium Joker
@Volvy: Aye, yer right, that was my bad. It's just.... Nnnnn, I get pretty fired up about DISCUSSING this kind of thing. It's easy to have a bunch of people say "I blah blah blah" and not have any further input, but I always find it better to get input as to why and see what others thing. Again, my bad.

No worries cool  
Within These Walls...

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces