Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Do you consider Hades evil? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Melios the Hoplite

10,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:50 am
Nico_Ryan
I think Hades is just misunderstood. He is the God of the underworld which makes him distant from the other Gods. I don't think the other Gods visit him much either. Every second hearing the screams of spirits begging for mercy could get you pretty annoyed. I think he jut needs a break for maybe just a century or 2. Maybe a Millennium, ya know, to get him all rested up. But yea, II think he has the highest tolerance level and other characteristics that his brothers lack. All and all, if he got a break, he would be the best out of the brothers.

I was just about to say the same think. But I agree 100%.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:04 am
Me? Well I think that Hades isn't evil at all..
It's the underworld that's evil.. Who would want to stay there? Dark..Lonely..and Creepy too!  

forecourts

Dark-Hunteress Sage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:54 am
No way on terra firma is Hades evil. He is in my oppenen one of the best gods their is.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:23 pm
Evil? no. Misunderstood? YES! He works very hard and never gets to take a day off so he's not evil, just a little overworked.  

FluffyPinkChaos

Seasonal Saint

31,200 Points
  • Amateur Snowfriend Architect 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:57 pm
NO!! never! 3nodding i have never thought he was ever evil!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:24 pm
Nope.
I just think he got cheated.  

Dante Pandorum

Dapper Bloodsucker

2,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Trader 100
  • Person of Interest 200

dying anarchy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:45 pm
Nope. He's just misunderstood. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:15 pm
I don't think Hades is evil, just moody since he has to work with the dead 24/7. He is the oldest of his brothers and was the last to pick out a domain, otherwise, it means he only had the Underworld left to himself. Plus since he ate the food from the Underworld, he can't really go out into the main world. Which sucks.  

EyyBitch

Wheezing Smoker

10,225 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:17 pm
lil_cute_pali
I don't think Hades is evil, just moody since he has to work with the dead 24/7. He is the oldest of his brothers and was the last to pick out a domain, otherwise, it means he only had the Underworld left to himself. Plus since he ate the food from the Underworld, he can't really go out into the main world. Which sucks.

Huh!?

Nononono, you people have got it all wrong!

Zeus, Poseidon and Hades drew lots to determine which third of the universe belonged to them. Essentially, they were leaving their decision up to the Fates, who would make the best arrangement concerning how things were run.

Hades is not bound to the underworld, he was not cheated or tricked, and he does not resent his choice. He made the rule about eating the food of the dead. He has never left the underworld except to abduct Persephone, because he likes it there. His kingdom is the largest, by far the wealthiest and has the most subjects. Zeus and Poseidon hardly have subjects.

Hades is not the miserable, misunderstood woobie that you all seem to think he is! Personally, I imagine Hades would be quite offended by all this misplaced sympathy.

Sorry, lil_cute_pali, this rant isn't just intended for you. User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:43 pm
Akherontis
lil_cute_pali

Huh!?

Zeus, Poseidon and Hades drew lots to determine which third of the universe belonged to them. Essentially, they were leaving their decision up to the Fates, who would make the best arrangement concerning how things were run.

Hades is not bound to the underworld, he was not cheated or tricked, and he does not resent his choice. He made the rule about eating the food of the dead. He has never left the underworld except to abduct Persephone, because he likes it there. His kingdom is the largest, by far the wealthiest and has the most subjects. Zeus and Poseidon hardly have subjects.

Hades is not the miserable, misunderstood woobie that you all seem to think he is! Personally, I imagine Hades would be quite offended by all this misplaced sympathy.

If he was unhappy, I would think there'd be lots of stories about rebellions instigated by Hades. It seems like modern portrayals of mythology, Hades specifically, are at fault here. Thank you, Hollywood and Disney.

As much as I love Disney's Hercules, I think they were just looking for a villain and thus chose Hades due to being a dark god. Same for Clash of the Titans, 2010 version definitely. sad  

Bittersweet Cantarella

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:54 pm
Bittersweet Cantarella

If he was unhappy, I would think there'd be lots of stories about rebellions instigated by Hades. It seems like modern portrayals of mythology, Hades specifically, are at fault here. Thank you, Hollywood and Disney.

As much as I love Disney's Hercules, I think they were just looking for a villain and thus chose Hades due to being a dark god. Same for Clash of the Titans, 2010 version definitely. sad

Exactly. But just because he's demonized in modern cinema doesn't mean we should go to the other extreme and turn him into some kind of misapprehended saint. Hades was still a really NASTY guy, he just wasn't an EVIL nasty guy (nor, for that matter, a nasty guy with a heart of gold). He was entirely neutral, and far more frightening than his siblings, which is as it should be.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:07 am
Akherontis
Bittersweet Cantarella

Exactly. But just because he's demonized in modern cinema doesn't mean we should go to the other extreme and turn him into some kind of misapprehended saint. Hades was still a really NASTY guy, he just wasn't an EVIL nasty guy (nor, for that matter, a nasty guy with a heart of gold). He was entirely neutral, and far more frightening than his siblings, which is as it should be.

And yes, I agree. I think he would be offended. We're not supposed to comprehend the thinking or feelings of a god. How dare us humans?! D:  

Bittersweet Cantarella

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200

EyyBitch

Wheezing Smoker

10,225 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:04 am
Akherontis
lil_cute_pali

Huh!?

Eurghh... I hate being wrong, but I prefer being corrected! Thanks. Now I have something to ask my teacher and correct him if he's wrong! *queue evil laugh* BWAHAHAHAHA!! Hmmm... Well, I still don't think Hades is evil though! About the more subjects part (ghosts, inhabitants, etc), if Zeus and Poseidon were angry at each other and did some bad damage to the world, they'd be giving Hades even MORE subjects! Whoop whoop! Though, sometimes I wonder if Hades's realm ever has been over-croweded with ghosts...  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:14 am
lil_cute_pali
Eurghh... I hate being wrong, but I prefer being corrected! Thanks. Now I have something to ask my teacher and correct him if he's wrong! *queue evil laugh* BWAHAHAHAHA!! Hmmm... Well, I still don't think Hades is evil though! About the more subjects part (ghosts, inhabitants, etc), if Zeus and Poseidon were angry at each other and did some bad damage to the world, they'd be giving Hades even MORE subjects! Whoop whoop! Though, sometimes I wonder if Hades's realm ever has been over-croweded with ghosts...

Well, Hades' subjects are not only the spirits of the dead. There are also the Lampades or Nymphai Avernales, the Empousai, Lamiai and other servants of Hekate, the Daimones Argyreoi, and various divine servants like Menioitios (who tends the sheep of Hades), Askalaphos (who tends the orchards of Hades) and the Judges of the Dead. Not to mention the other Khthonian gods, like my dearest Hypnos and Thanatos, their twenty-five siblings and thirty-something nephews and neices. One might also count the Titanes, Gigantes and Theres imprisoned in Tartaros, and two of the three Hekatonkheires (Kottos and Gyges), who guard the gates of Tartaros. There may be more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.  

Akherontis
Captain

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:02 am
A few things make him evil, depending on what version of the story, the taking of Persephone.

Then there is deal with the harp player, I forgot his name. But there is not real evil in that, just a little sadistic though.

Yes, that is what Hades is, Sadistic. He gets pleasure from giving others pain. But that is really his only entertainment....

TaisiaTuaMagia
money is NEVER evil wink

Greed. Sloth. Lust.

Many crimes have been committed because of money. Poverty is because of money, or lack of because of warlords.  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff