Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Children and Guns Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Guns and Kids?
  With proper supervision and training
  Absolutely not
  Undecided
  Somewhere in the middle
View Results

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:18 am
So my husband and I went shooting. Obviously, we took our two year old daughter. We went and got her junior ear protectors and she did very well. She left them one and played in the dirt. Needless to say, I did not take my eyes off of her and when I shot my husband would watch her.

My sister threw a fit because we took her shooting. Aparantly it's not good parenting to let your kids experience things when they are young... I really don't know her real reason, but I'm sure it's something like that.

So what do you think about taking kids shooting? Teaching them about gun saftey when they are young? Teaching them the appropriate way to handle a gun?

I really think teaching kids young will help them later when faced with some difficult decisions.

My brother's friend accidentally shot himself with his father's gun because he thought it wasn't loaded and him and his brother were playing. This was the parent's fault as much as the kid's. Why would you leave a loaded gun for a child to reach? Plus, you should teach them not to point it at anyone or anything! *shakes head* That was a really sad day. I didn't really understand until later, but now I look back at that event as a way to prevent that from happening to other kids.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:27 pm
Honestly, I don't have a problem with you taking your child out with you hunting. Both you and your husband were watching out for her, and you covered her ears. For my self, I think that 2 is a bit young to take shooting, but you obviously know your child better than I do. My dad took my brothers and sisters and I out one on one when we turned 5 and taught us how to take care of our gun, how to carry it so that we don't shoot others in our hunting party, how to aim and shoot, how to clean it, and that we were definately not allowed to play with them alone. He kept the ammo separate from the guns, and there was only one gun he kept loaded at all times... and if we touched it we got our hinnies swated big time. Amazingly my da taught us how to use a bow much earler than the gun, so by the time he took us out bird hunting or deer hunting with the rifles, we were already well versed on how to clean the animal and truck it home, especially if we were out bow hunting alone... which I know some of you are cringing at the thought of a four yearold hunting alone...  

Eponishta

divineseraph

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:51 pm
Second. If kids never experience these things, there's a whole stigma and mystery to them. It's like with our alcohol and drug problems. You don't really see a teenage alcohol problem in places like France because parents give their kids a little wine with dinner. It's not mysterious, it's not secretive, it's not something "for adults" that kids naturally want to master to feel grown up. It's something that can be dangerous if misused, but good if used with proper respect and care. Likewise with guns, if you teach about them then they are just tools to be cautious with and not magic items of badass movie stars.

When I have kids, I plan to give them throwing knives by around age 5. If the 50's and 60's had anything right, it was letting kids have some fun with slightly dangerous stuff. It taught them to respect it, action and reaction, cause and effect, and probably cut down on a lot of our modern mental issues because kids weren't raised to fear everything and sit in their rooms.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:17 pm
I don't have a problem with it, either. I think teaching a child at a young age IS a good thing. Prevents accidents. Kids these days think the only thing to a gun is by holding it and pulling the trigger. Really, though, it's more than that. If a kid thinks it's so easy, they end up thinking they can handle a gun.
" Hey, come here. Let me show you where my dad's gun's at."

Next thing you know, you got a child bleeding out on the carpet ,or worse, dead. I'd like to think kids today are smarter than that but because I experience how they act most of the day, I doubt the majority knows better.
I want to advise not to make a kid think that they can masterfully handle a gun, however, if they learn how to wield them. That can also lead to some fatal events from things like "I'ma Gunslinger!".

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Eltanin Sadachbia

Fashionable Nerd

9,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:51 pm
Well, part of teaching good gun handling is teaching respect. A child who knows how to take care of a gun is not going to be running around showing off.

I was like Eponishta. I would go out with my parents before I could even remember. I shot a rifle by myself for the first time when I was 4. By that time though, I had already been taught how to hold a rifle to avoid dangerous accidents, how to check first thing for ammo in the barrel, and how to remove ammo from the chambers. I also knew how to clean rifles by that time. My father had taught me how to handle a rifle the right way before it was ever even loaded in my grasp, so that by the time I was handling loaded weapons, I knew how serious it was.

I had seen rifles kill animals larger than people, so I knew what damage they could do. I would never dream of playing with one. I never even thought of a gun as something taboo, so like Seraph said, there was no major mystery associated with guns for me. I never had the urge to show one off to a friend or anything.

I think it is good to expose your children to some things in controlled situations. Then you are the one who knows how they are going to react, and you can teach them what they need to know instead of them trying to learn on their own later, and get hurt.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:36 pm
Captain_Shinzo
I don't have a problem with it, either. I think teaching a child at a young age IS a good thing. Prevents accidents. Kids these days think the only thing to a gun is by holding it and pulling the trigger. Really, though, it's more than that. If a kid thinks it's so easy, they end up thinking they can handle a gun.
" Hey, come here. Let me show you where my dad's gun's at."

Next thing you know, you got a child bleeding out on the carpet ,or worse, dead. I'd like to think kids today are smarter than that but because I experience how they act most of the day, I doubt the majority knows better.
I want to advise not to make a kid think that they can masterfully handle a gun, however, if they learn how to wield them. That can also lead to some fatal events from things like "I'ma Gunslinger!".

I believe it's also an issue of taboo or mystery. If guns are supposed to be an adult thing and kept hidden, kids naturally want to prove they can do it too. If the stigma is gone, then the reasoning to show off such a "secret" item is gone. Likewise, a kid usually wouldn't say "Let me show you my dad's ratchet set!"- Because even though it's an "adult" thing, it doesn't have the mystery and intrigue of a hidden, locked away, whispered about gun.  

divineseraph

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:31 pm
Eponishta
Honestly, I don't have a problem with you taking your child out with you hunting. Both you and your husband were watching out for her, and you covered her ears. For my self, I think that 2 is a bit young to take shooting, but you obviously know your child better than I do. My dad took my brothers and sisters and I out one on one when we turned 5 and taught us how to take care of our gun, how to carry it so that we don't shoot others in our hunting party, how to aim and shoot, how to clean it, and that we were definately not allowed to play with them alone. He kept the ammo separate from the guns, and there was only one gun he kept loaded at all times... and if we touched it we got our hinnies swated big time. Amazingly my da taught us how to use a bow much earler than the gun, so by the time he took us out bird hunting or deer hunting with the rifles, we were already well versed on how to clean the animal and truck it home, especially if we were out bow hunting alone... which I know some of you are cringing at the thought of a four yearold hunting alone...

You seem to have a great dad. Mine never taught us anything like that. I was always learning it from my brothers. And now my husband is teaching me how to clean his guns and helping me to shoot better.

And yes it does depend on the child. She was not phazed by the sound or anything. She just wanted to lay on my lap, bundled up in her blanket or play in the rocks.

I've only beeen hunting once and all we heard and saw were squirrells... I'd love to get my liscence though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:36 pm
It is nice to see we are all in agreement. I definitely believe that saying "that's for big people" is a bad thing. I say that now with alcohol, but when my daughter can understand I will tell her about it and what it does. Just leaving it at "big peoples' stuff" will make them wonder, no doubt.

And like I said with my story, my brother's friend did not know what he was doing and ended up killing himself. But you do have those kids who just do not listen. A few years ago, this kid, who was definitely old enough to know better, accidentally shot his brother in the head with a BB gun. Needless to say the kid has a glass eye now. It was all hush-hush with the parents because "Oh my god! You're kid touched a gun!" *shakes head* Kids like this deserve what happens to then, not to ound harsh, but they were at least 18 years old when it happened.

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Eponishta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:49 am
Aakosir
It is nice to see we are all in agreement. I definitely believe that saying "that's for big people" is a bad thing. I say that now with alcohol, but when my daughter can understand I will tell her about it and what it does. Just leaving it at "big peoples' stuff" will make them wonder, no doubt.

And like I said with my story, my brother's friend did not know what he was doing and ended up killing himself. But you do have those kids who just do not listen. A few years ago, this kid, who was definitely old enough to know better, accidentally shot his brother in the head with a BB gun. Needless to say the kid has a glass eye now. It was all hush-hush with the parents because "Oh my god! You're kid touched a gun!" *shakes head* Kids like this deserve what happens to then, not to ound harsh, but they were at least 18 years old when it happened.
I have used a BB gun for hunting small game almost my entire childhood. How anyone would think that a BB gun is any different than anyother firearm is beyond me... To think of the rabbits and birds that I brought home for the meal... and then the idiocy that kids do because their parents don't believe that BB guns are dangerous...

Another pet peeve I have is sling shots... They can be used to kill and maime in the right circumstances. They should not be treated like a toy. Instead of glibly giving permission for these type of toys to be used unsupervised, parents should treat them the same way they should treat all firearms... with education and respect.

Interestingly, a friend and I were having a discussion on why she believes that firearms should be outlawed in the USA... I asked her what she thought would happen if it ever was passed (out lawing of guns), and she said that the world would be safer because then there would be fewer shootings and there fore fewer muggings and armed robberies...

I honestly don't know where people get that idea. There would still be guns... Illegal guns used not to protect the citizenry, but to terrorize a citizenry who now has no right to protect themselves. Besides, there are several no guns allowed governments in the world that have high assalt and armed robbery rates. Japan and Korea are prime examples. The police in Japan brag about not using thier guns like the American Police. But no one looks into how many people are assalted and or robbed with knives, baseball bats, tazers, etc.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:34 pm
Eponishta
Aakosir

I have used a BB gun for hunting small game almost my entire childhood. How anyone would think that a BB gun is any different than anyother firearm is beyond me... To think of the rabbits and birds that I brought home for the meal... and then the idiocy that kids do because their parents don't believe that BB guns are dangerous...

Another pet peeve I have is sling shots... They can be used to kill and maime in the right circumstances. They should not be treated like a toy. Instead of glibly giving permission for these type of toys to be used unsupervised, parents should treat them the same way they should treat all firearms... with education and respect.

Interestingly, a friend and I were having a discussion on why she believes that firearms should be outlawed in the USA... I asked her what she thought would happen if it ever was passed (out lawing of guns), and she said that the world would be safer because then there would be fewer shootings and there fore fewer muggings and armed robberies...

I honestly don't know where people get that idea. There would still be guns... Illegal guns used not to protect the citizenry, but to terrorize a citizenry who now has no right to protect themselves. Besides, there are several no guns allowed governments in the world that have high assalt and armed robbery rates. Japan and Korea are prime examples. The police in Japan brag about not using thier guns like the American Police. But no one looks into how many people are assalted and or robbed with knives, baseball bats, tazers, etc.

I have no clue why people think BB guns are like a toy... I shot them when I was about 8 and they were put away in a safe place and treated like real harmful guns. My brothers have hunted with slingshots and we made a pretty good squirrell stew, so we definitely know that they are not toys...

I really have no clue why people think outlawing guns would help anything. Have they heard of the Black Market? The Mafia? The Mob? Yakuza? Skin Heads? Apparantly not... Crime rates would go up if guns were outlawed. The criminals would see it as an even better opportunity to break in because the homeowners would not have guns for fear of being arrested...

And I see someone voted "Absolutely Not". I am curious their reasoning.

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Eponishta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:22 pm
Today I read a very sad story about a child who shot another child with a loaded handgun that was sitting ontop of a piano during a sleep over party. The child who was shot was pronounced brain dead yesterday, and life support was withdrawn. Her parents donated her organs. There was speculation as to what the State would file against the other child (the one who actually shot the gun), and against the parents (who owned the handgun in question).

Today, however, the news was that no charges would be filed as the child did not actually believe the gun to be loaded, and had not actually meant to fire the gun, much less shoot her friend. Nor would charges be filed against the parents who were hosting the sleep over. The reasons against filing charges for the parents were thus:
1) the father had just taken the gun out of the gun safe to check and see if it fit the gun holster he had been given for Christmas.
2) the piano was in a room that was known to be off limits to the sleep over children.
3) the father left it alone on top of the upright piano for less than five minutes and did not expect that the children would enter the room and find the gun, especially ontop of the piano.

Now, I while I do not find fault with denying charges against the child who is doubtless horrified and in shock because she shot her friend and her friend died because of it, I do find fault with the DA for not filing charges against the parents. This was neglegence. A loaded gun in a house with children is a no-no. Leaving the gun unattended for any amount of time is a no-no, especially with children who have not been taught proper gun safety.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:39 pm
I feel the same exact way. When I hear a story like that I automatically say "So what's happening to the parents?" It was neglegence on the father's part, no matter how long he left that gun unattended. You should never leave a gun laying out anywhere, even if there are no children...

My husband has huge locking cases for his guns with heavy duty locks on them. Our daughter has no way of getting to the keys since they are on key rings, up out of her reach. The only time he has left one out of the case was when she was asleep in her room and I had had a bad feeling that night. I'm sorry... but shouldn't it be common sense?

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Eponishta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:23 pm
Aakosir
I feel the same exact way. When I hear a story like that I automatically say "So what's happening to the parents?" It was neglegence on the father's part, no matter how long he left that gun unattended. You should never leave a gun laying out anywhere, even if there are no children...

My husband has huge locking cases for his guns with heavy duty locks on them. Our daughter has no way of getting to the keys since they are on key rings, up out of her reach. The only time he has left one out of the case was when she was asleep in her room and I had had a bad feeling that night. I'm sorry... but shouldn't it be common sense?
It should be common sense... it should be.

Do you leave fireworks out on the counter with kids unattended?
Most people would say "Heck No!" why? Because its neglegence. Its asking a kid to light the firework and see what happens... and then they burn the house down or blow their arm off because you forgot and left the fireworks out for them to play with.

Same goes with a loaded gun.

Leaving it out was asking for something bad to happen.

The parent was neglegent, and should be charged with that at least.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:31 am
Eponishta
Aakosir

It should be common sense... it should be.

Do you leave fireworks out on the counter with kids unattended?
Most people would say "Heck No!" why? Because its neglegence. Its asking a kid to light the firework and see what happens... and then they burn the house down or blow their arm off because you forgot and left the fireworks out for them to play with.

Same goes with a loaded gun.

Leaving it out was asking for something bad to happen.

The parent was neglegent, and should be charged with that at least.

I do agree with the neglegence charge, but I also think there needs to be someone with Child Protection Services taking part in the case. Granted, he said it was only for a few seconds, but why was the gun loaded if he was just trying out his new holster? Why would he leave a loaded gun anywhere? Even if it was in a safe. Keeping your gun loaded, to me, is not a smart idea...  

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Pandora the Wonderful

6,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:27 am
If you want to, that's fine, it's your child and as long as you aren't abusing her, I see nothing wrong with that.
I was never taught about guns, my parents don't like them. So I can't comment on the gun aspect really.
But my parents are sort of the same way with alcohol. I'm allowed to drink alcohol at Passover, and I don't like it, I've tried beer, didn't like it, tried rum once (by accident) and didn't like it... So it doesn't interest me as much as other things do. If it's at a party with my friends, and somebody breaks out the vodka, I'd probably have one drink, maybe two. And my mom told me to do weed in college if I wanted to try it. So pretty much, there's not really the air of 'big people' surrounding alcohol in my house, I mean, I've learned why it's bad and yeah, it can be, but if my siblings ask to try it, she may let them have a sip, and usually they don't like it.  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff