Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply All In the Golden Afternoon
Were you BORN MAD?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you encourage your kids to be Alice fans?
Yeah =D
88%
 88%  [ 15 ]
Maybe not
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
*GOLD!*
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:11 pm
I've recently managed to dig up some old home videos where I've been raiding the dress-up box for my little blue dress and apron. There's one video where I was literally only around three years old watching the cartoon Disney version while on holiday. I actually started quoting Alice while she talked to the Cheshire Cat! Considering my age at the time, that's a bit of a shocker. Then nearly a year later, a video was made of four-year-old me singing the movie's opening song and actually getting half of the words right (despite barely being able to understand what the operatic singers are actually saying xd ). I know fine well that this was proof of me having crawled down the rabbit hole at a very early age.
So I was wondering, how many of you remember being a big Alice In Wonderland fan from the very beginning? What age do you remember really getting into it?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:14 pm
That? That right up there? That's adorable. XD

Well, I wasn't much of one for the Disney's Alice... I didn't see it until I was 10 or 11, I believe. But my mom was an avid collector of fairy tales, and I grew up on Grimm, Anderson, and, of course, Carrol. ^_^ My first pet was a white rabbit named Blanche when I was just past 2, and my mom always used to tell me that I'd try to trick people into following it. What I planned to do if they actually managed to fall down a rabbit hole, we never knew... XD

So... I'm not really sure when I started getting into Alice in Wonderland; it seems like it's always been a part of my life, haha. ^_^;

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

De-Throned Queen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:12 pm
Aye. I don't remember either when I got into it, nor do I have proof of it. But, I do love Alice in Wonderland. I am ashamed though to say that I never knew about the Through the Looking-Glass sequel until 2006 or 2007. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:53 am
I always loved it as a kid, sadly we didn't own the movie and I had only seen it once when I was very little so I hardly remembered it. But I remembered the Cheshire of course razz Cause he was my favorite. I remembered most of the characters, I had just forgotten everything that had happened. When we finally got the movie on DVD (about 3 years ago? probably not XD maybe 2? Ah! I can't remember to save my life) my DVD player was being a stupid piece of crap and didn't want to play it and my PS2 no longer played DVDs (well it did, but only certain ones...)  

Kyoki DirzettE

6,750 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Living_In_Song

Lonely Seeker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:52 pm
My first stuffed animal was a white rabbit, also. I don't know when I really got started on this trail to the rabbit hole to wonderland...but it is now a big part of my life(I even have a real white rabbit{with some black spots} who's a girl, so we named her Alice. She's actually on my lap right now, and wiggling like crazy!).

It's wonderful hearing your stories guys!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:59 pm
I think I was around four when I first watched the Disney version, then seven or eight when I read the books. 3nodding  

Sh0ur4i

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:51 pm
I have no idea when I feel for Alice in Wonderland, but i know somehow I slowly fell in love with it . I think it may be reading the books that caused me to fall for it, and the imagery that comes with it.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:52 am
@Lady March Hare: Adorable? Aww shucks whee

I'm glad it isn't just me who thinks this xd But yeah, I think quite a few Alice fans will have been raised watching the movies and stuff, especially with all of the popular TV shows that make references to the story, tho I'm ashamed to say that I didn't actually start reading the books properly until last year redface which I find terrible (me, not the books).
Since then I've even started recommending it to people I know including my neighbour's 8 year old (who is ADORABLE! 4laugh ) since I know she'll love the books.

Thanks for all the comments so far everyone! Your stories are awesome biggrin  

Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

KimCare

Swashbuckling Bookworm

29,325 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Wry Dealer 500
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:47 am
I know that being born on January 27th may not sound like much until you look back to who is responsible for it all...

that being said I was always drawn to the possibility of falloing down a rabbit hole, even adopting a few of the furry darlings in hopes that they would share thier secrets of Wonderland and Looking Glass.

Alas as I got older I know the differance between fantasey and reality -

fantasy is what helps me cope with reality!

Anyway, heres to love of tea parties, chars that we wish we knew and did not and friends who understand...

all on a golden afternoon biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:19 am
KimCare
I know that being born on January 27th may not sound like much until you look back to who is responsible for it all...

that being said I was always drawn to the possibility of falloing down a rabbit hole, even adopting a few of the furry darlings in hopes that they would share thier secrets of Wonderland and Looking Glass.

Alas as I got older I know the differance between fantasey and reality -

fantasy is what helps me cope with reality!

Anyway, heres to love of tea parties, chars that we wish we knew and did not and friends who understand...

all on a golden afternoon biggrin

I agree completely! And how lucky are you to be born on the 27th?! eek (my sis's birthday is only three days later, so close)  

Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

Bunnywith

Business Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:07 am
I actually didn't get into Alice until I was about 14. For Christmas in 2001 I received American McGee's game, and it snowballed from there. Actually when I was younger I wasn't a huge fan of the Disney movie because the scene with the Walrus and the Carpenter where you see the empty shells really upset me.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:38 pm
When I was a child I admit the first time I read the book of Alice in Wonderland I was confused, the story didn't make much sense to me but as I got older and wiser I started to connect the political innuendos that the story was trying to convey.  

chemos32o8

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Eraia_Knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:46 pm
I started getting into Alice in Wonderland when I saw the 1951 movie but I thought it was ok. I really got into it when I played American McGees Alice and read the Looking Glass Wars trilogy but I always loved Cheshire whee  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:12 pm
Wow... it's really interesting to see how everyone got involved. I love that a lot of the spin offs and tributes to the originals have drawn fans in; it seems like a nod to just how awesome these stories remain, no matter how they're interpreted. <3  

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:53 am
Indeed xd I'm also pretty surprised at just how many spin offs there actually are. Literally hundreds! Possibly MILLIONS! And up until recently I had no idea that there were even darker versions of the story than the disturbed ones I've already found. My friend told me a couple of days ago that the very first version involved Alice eating some white powder from a box in her mother's room? Apparently in that version Alice had experienced Wonderland as one big scary hallucination. And wasn't she only about five then? Poor girl.  
All In the Golden Afternoon

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games