Welcome to Gaia! ::

RAGE PIT

Back to Guilds

This guild is for debating and ranting about life and hot button issues. 

Tags: Ranting, Discussion, Debating, Life, Issues 

Reply RAGE PIT
work related rage

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vengeful Elegance
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:26 am
I got a crappy job! Yay? I work with my hubby now. I need a job but that doesn't mean that I have to be happy about having one, right? I mean who wants to be a housekeeper? I hate it but I'll do it.

Anyways, apparently taking breaks is frowned upon. We have a breakfast break at 10am and that seems to be the only break they are okay with us taking. Of course they don't stop me, probably because that would be illegal. But my boss looked pretty pissed when I took a lunch break yesterday.

Housekeeping is really lame. You have a certain amount of rooms to clean in a certain amount of time. You usually get half an hour to clean each room, which if you do the math is bad. You can't clean 10 to 15 rooms by the time they want it done by if you spend half an hour on each room.

Okay so I clock in at 8am on weekdays and 9pm on weekends. If I work until 2 break should be at 10am, lunch from 12:30 to 1. If I am still working at 3 I should get another break.

They seem to expect me to work through my lunch so that the rooms get clean sooner. What they don't understand is that we are not robots. I need to have a rest in order to keep working. Unless they would like me to do a half assed job because I'm tired.

I'm actually really annoyed with my coworkers for working through their breaks because it makes me look bad for wanting to take them. I don't understand why anyone would complain about having a break. They get mad when they have to take a lunch. WTF?

I've heard them talking about trying to get a waiver saying that they don't have to take a break if they don't want to. I don't want that to happen because I'm pretty sure that I'd be the only one taking breaks.

If I get fired over this, I'm filing a complaint with the labor board.

AND...

There is no schedule. We have to call in every day to see if we are working or not. It is bullshit! How the hell am I supposed to do anything with my days off if I don't know when they will be? They have people working for like a week straight!

The other really ******** up thing is there is a way to get away with having your employees work for over a week straight without having to give them overtime. Let's say that I worked from Thursday of this week to Friday of next week. I wouldn't get overtime because starting Sunday it was a new week, so it doesn't count as working for a week straight. It has to be 7 days in a row, in the same work week. Unfortunately, it is legal to do that. Isn't that bullshit?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:36 pm
Woah...that sounds like the shittiest job. I mean really, who do these people think they are? It seems like they are getting away with some s**t. I don't know, stick it out until you find something better. I know tho that technically most places have to give you a break or 2...an hour or 30 minute lunch and a 15 min paid break. ******** up.  

iwillkillthee
Captain

Vengeful Elegance
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:47 am
They don't try to stop me from taking breaks. It's just that no one else does so I end up looking bad.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:15 pm
i know the feeling. But I say do what you want. Who cares what they think xD  

iwillkillthee
Captain

Vengeful Elegance
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:13 am
I'm just going to do my best work and take the breaks that I am legally allowed to take. They can't do anything about it.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:40 pm
so true  

iwillkillthee
Captain

Vengeful Elegance
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:33 am
It may seem a little strange to b***h about people having to work for a week straight and then b***h about being off for over a week straight but I'm going to do it anyways. Because I can, that's why.

It doesn't have to be one extreme or the other, boss lady. Can't you just give people 2 days off in a row, or if that isn't possible for some reason give us 2 days off a week?! It doesn't have to be either worked into the ground or no work at all. I'm willing to come in for a couple of hours and mop or something. I can work part time!

I am assuming that I was hired to replace that girl who is quitting and that she is still there. But don't I need to be trained or something? I have a suspicion that when I finally start getting hours I'm going to be bitched at for taking too long to clean rooms. Hello! I need practice! I'm not used to the way you do things. Yes, I have housekeeping experience but every hotel does things a little differently.

And what is with this whole having to call in every day? Have you ever heard of a schedule?

God damn it.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:13 am
Still no hours. So I called "work" to get some information so I can just go back on unemployment. Guess what? They don't know where my hours were written down and no one has the password to the computer so they can look it up.  

Vengeful Elegance
Crew

RAGE PIT

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces