Welcome to Gaia! ::

Death Note Official Fan Guild!

Back to Guilds

Death Note guild for all lovers of Death Note! 

Tags: Death Note, Kira, L Lawliet, Wammy House, Anime 

Reply Death Note Guild Main Forums
Is L an atheist?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheNewLibrarian
Vice Captain

Witty Informer

9,600 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:27 pm
Several times throughout the series, L denies that there could be a being watching from above. It is never explained if he means shinigami or an actually God figure. What do you think about this?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:28 pm
I believe that he would be atheist; he looks at things logically -- and many times, overlogically. (He's almost a vulcan xd ) but seriously speaking, those who are highly intelligent often denounce the existence of God because of this far logic. They leave nothing to paranormal; for them, nothing can remain unknown.  

Aesuna

Sain After Dark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:48 pm
I don't think L really thinks about God in that way. There is no way to prove God exists or doesn't exist, and in the end, it wouldn't change anything for L if God existed or not.
He is denying that Kira could be a God, or at least that's what he says in the manga. 'The idea that a God needs to know someones name to kill them is ridiculous' is what he says in the manga. I haven't watched the anime in a long time, so I'm not sure what he says in the anime.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:50 pm
I think L is refering to the shinigami.
I suppose he probably doesn't really care if there is or isn't a god.  

snowie raven

Merry Rogue

18,215 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

WammyHouseWhore
Crew

2,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:42 pm
Huh, never really thought about that.
I think he's an atheist, but I don't think its because he doesn't believe in god per say, I think he really just believes in justice.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:24 pm
logxdlady
I believe that he would be atheist; he looks at things logically -- and many times, overlogically. (He's almost a vulcan xd ) but seriously speaking, those who are highly intelligent often denounce the existence of God because of this far logic. They leave nothing to paranormal; for them, nothing can remain unknown.

Yh I think Ls the type to be an aethiest.  

Angel Mechanholy

4,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Faraam Knight

Vicious Soldier

11,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:43 pm
well i think he may be athiest but may not be at the same time like he has his OWN beliefs in a god figure not everything has to do with your god so logically he made his own god. although I'm athiest i do think a mighty figure stands before us but not all powerful perhaps a wise oone but not all powerful in other words i believe in what i want to and you believe in what you believe  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:34 pm
No, actually L should be an agnostic after he learns about shinigami. He knows shinigami exists and shinigami are death Gods, but he doesn't know if God or a higher being exists.

logxdlady

These people with high intelligence are actually Enlightenment thinkers. Read Hume maybe he could help. He is agnostic and he denies the fact that religion is true. So L should also be agnostic. Just read this chapter: David Hume: Of Miracles Chapter 10

This is similar to L's logic.  

iXelnyn

Romantic Informer

3,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100

TheNewLibrarian
Vice Captain

Witty Informer

9,600 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:11 am
snowie_raven
I think L is refering to the shinigami.
I suppose he probably doesn't really care if there is or isn't a god.

So do you think he is Agnostic or a Deist?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:11 pm
DarkCavalier
well i think he may be athiest but may not be at the same time like he has his OWN beliefs in a god figure not everything has to do with your god so logically he made his own god. although I'm athiest i do think a mighty figure stands before us but not all powerful perhaps a wise oone but not all powerful in other words i believe in what i want to and you believe in what you believe

Very true, but I think everyone is that way. No two people see God in the same way.  

TheNewLibrarian
Vice Captain

Witty Informer

9,600 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Way Too Many Pies 300

Evil Overlord Supreme

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:34 pm
-shrugs-People think what they want to.And DarkCavalier is right.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:11 pm
I think that it is safe to say that L can tell the difference between right and wrong even without religion.  

TheNewLibrarian
Vice Captain

Witty Informer

9,600 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Way Too Many Pies 300

Tori1986

5,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:39 pm
I think that L isn't an atheist. If anything he doesn't have a religion at all. but you know. *quickly covers signature*  
Death Note Guild Main Forums

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games