A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Old Topics
A new wind blows... Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you want to participate in an intriguing and engaging literary RolePlay?
Yes, definitely!
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
I think so, but I would need to know more first.
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Not really my thing, no thanks.
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
I don't like RP. Wait, why did I come in here again?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

FireSpark
Crew

Aged Citizen

8,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:52 pm
Greetings fellow RPers. If you are reading this, then I can only assume that you too are interested in seeing something new and exciting sweep back into these hallowed halls. And I say that I am here to attempt that very feat.

Thanks to a bit of inside information, Friend and fellow RPer damecharlie mentioned in another thread that old forces were in motion once more. Well here it comes.

I have been slowly assembling information for a new undertaking. It will for all intents and purposes be a roleplay, though I have hopes that it will evolve more as a cooperative story write. So perhaps a better name would be a StoryPlay? RoleWriting? Whatever you want to call it, here's my idea.

A low-fantasy world, built on a historically idyllic medieval-like level. For those unfamiliar with the term 'low-fantasy', it implies a setting that is Earth or Earth-like, with many 'realistic' features common to our own. The deviations from this norm, as in magic and dragons and such, is on par with what we consider myth and legend. The stories of King Arthur (the originals) would be considered low-fantasy by today's standard. Yes, there are wizards and witches, and magical swords, but they never really seem to do much. On the odd occasion yes, magic would go *BLOOIE* or a dragon would show up, but the main purpose of this was usually to show that person is powerful or is a force to be feared.

Secondly, the reason I made the 'StoryPlay' allusion earlier, is because it is my intent and hope for this idea. Instead of being a collection of just character dialogue, I believe that if a little extra time and effort is given to the setting of the scene around the dialogue (and character thoughts), that the end product is so much more enjoyable, that you won't be able to get enough of it. For an example of what I'm getting at you can check out the short lived Wild West that Wasn't, a previous attempt that suffered from a severe case of bad timing. (Namely on my part for starting it when I did.)

Now, this isn't a thread to reveal all my ideas. The purpose here is to judge interest of others in such an RP. This isn't going to be popping up this week, or next, but soon. But when it does come time, knowing ahead of time that there is interest in it would bolster my drive to put it up faster. Plus, I have a tendency to want to integrate people deeply into my worlds, so if I know ahead of time, I tend to write bits of back story to include people's characters.

So there you have it. My ideas and proposal. All that is left is the question.

Does this interest you? Would you like to play in my world?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:56 pm
This sounds like something I've tried to do once that never left the ground. I'm all for realism, and prefer that to the "it's fantasy therefore it works" sense of logic. I like things that are well thought out and make sense rather than the half assed "it works" nonsense. Keep me in the loop, and you've got yourself a fellow role player.

I'm in.
IEditYourWorld  

IEditYourWorld

FireSpark
Crew

Aged Citizen

8,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:24 pm
IEditYourWorld
This sounds like something I've tried to do once that never left the ground. I'm all for realism, and prefer that to the "it's fantasy therefore it works" sense of logic. I like things that are well thought out and make sense rather than the half assed "it works" nonsense. Keep me in the loop, and you've got yourself a fellow role player.

I'm in.
IEditYourWorld

Rest assured, any and all people that show interest will be kept "in-the-loop" as best I can manage.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:27 pm
It sounds interesting to me. I've been itching to get into an RP that's still new since my other guild is kinda of tumbleweeds atm from anything new happening. Keep me posted I would like to give this a shot.  

Liada Trovaras

Vicious Envy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:27 pm
When you say "literary" are you looking for people who write in several paragraph form? While all this sounds like it would indeed be very intriguing and I've been looking for an rp to get into, I'm not very imaginative nor "wordy".  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:41 pm
I might lurk for a while until I feel a "spark" wink but I am interested. 3nodding  

damecharlie

Versatile Lunatic

FireSpark
Crew

Aged Citizen

8,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:55 pm
Good, good. More, but honest interest.

To answer the literary question, and to be honest I knew I should have clarified in the original post, I mean writing in a literary manner.

Often times in a PbP RP, you'll see an entry like this:

*looks up and down hall, sighs*
"Well now which way do I go?"

Such an entry provides a reader with the bare minimum of scene setting, plus the character's spoken lines. Also, with this style, the only way we can see who is doing this is by who made the post. Of course if the poster has more than one character, then things can get confusing.

In contrast, when I say literary roleplay, the above action would be rewritten as such:

Sarah emerged into yet another hallway. She had lost count of how many intersections she had passed through many hours ago. Looking first up, adn then down the hall, she sighs deeply to herself.

"Well now which way do I go?"

See? More setting, more scene, produces (in my mind) greater depth and feeling. Almost an automatic side effect of writing to that level of detail. Not only that, I personally find the second entry much more fun to read.

Hope that helps.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:04 pm
I wouldn't mind getting in on something. I want to do rping but stuff here is already going and I don't know where to jump in. So for me a beginning would be great.
I would like very much to join in.

Pink Fregia

15,850 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

FireSpark
Crew

Aged Citizen

8,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:47 pm
I'm currently in the stages of finalizing certain aspects of the world (or at least the little corner of it we'll be in), such as geography, borders, and a dash of history. I will also be having only a few big cities intially, because it is my hope that as things progress, and a story unfolds, that everyone involved in the RP will have a share in shaping the world.

People, places, and events that occur either in the game or as part of backstories give an immediate increase to the "known" aspects of this world making it all the more real. And as soon as I get the features nailed down, I'm definitely making a map. And you can bet you bottom dollar that that puppy will get posted as soon as I can manage.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:55 pm
mmmmmm I'm watching.  

Lilith Amaranth

Liada Trovaras

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:55 pm
Can't wait  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:01 pm
xd That was slightly creepy, Lilith. rofl  

damecharlie

Versatile Lunatic

Exor Omega

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:15 pm
Firespark! How the hell have you been!?

Of course I would follow you into a story, and I'd be more than happy to assist in any way you see fit, as well!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:59 pm
Exor Omega
Firespark! How the hell have you been!?

Of course I would follow you into a story, and I'd be more than happy to assist in any way you see fit, as well!

I've been...busy. But all is improving now. And help is always appreciated. I'll shoot a Pm to you with some questions.  

FireSpark
Crew

Aged Citizen

8,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

bandaidd
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:05 pm
Can I be God? I'd be interested. Or even one of the gods. I might stoop to mere mortal if invincibility or literary chocolate was involved. I'd need a cape. Definitely need a cape.  
Old Topics

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff