Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
How come it takes a critique...? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eh__Miss__Raquel

4,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:15 pm
How come it takes a critique for me to realize that I've never wanted to be critiqued?

I've had my art critiqued here before and I realized right after that I was comfortable and happy where I was and I wanted to move forward at my own pace.

I didn't want to hear only negative things about my art (and that's all I got) and I definitely didn't want the suggestions to be to study the style of someone else. I have my own, thank you very much. :3

Does anyone else have the same realization when their art is critiqued?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:25 pm
Hmm, I am the opposite of that! I feel like on my own I don't move ahead at the pace I want. When I get enough feedback I feel more confident stepping out of where I was.

You have to remember that critique is not someone telling you what to do - its all opinions. However if you get say, 5 people saying the same thing about your art, it is a sign that maybe you aren't communicating what you want as effectively as you could.

It sucks that you only got negative comments about your art. I know some people forget sometimes that it is just as important to talk about what you do well in an image too. When I critique I try to outline both the weak and strong points.

I hope it doesn't put you off getting any more critique in the future. Though you should definitely work at the pace you are comfortable in, critique can also just open a lot of new doors, suggestions you might not have thought of on your own. 3nodding  

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

HarimaAndTenmaBelong

5,850 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:48 pm
It's like, you think it's absolutely the best work of art ever and then someone lets you down with depressing comments...

sweatdrop We've all had them  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:29 pm
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being disappointed with a critique. If you decide you like it and block yourself from seeing where it could have been better, you're doing yourself a disservice. I love a lot of the art I didn't get the most uplifting critiques on. It's just a picture. One of hundreds of thousands you'll draw. That one picture means nothing in the scope of your life as an artist.

As you learn to see where things could be better and do better the next time, your entire body of work gets stronger. That's got a lot more value when it comes to pride than one picture in my opinion.

Keep in mind that critique and peer learning are the point of this guild. Anyone that has a problem with that probably isn't ready to be here.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Otome Picasso

5,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:26 pm
As an art major, I have to have critiques and give them as well to earn my grades. Throughout the years...I've noticed a few things:

1)Art has not set rules;there is no right or wrong.

2)Just because one person doesn't like it it doesn't mean it isn't great(there have been some major arguments before)

3)The thought process behind the work and your approach to why you drew it that way does count.

4)Sometimes, you are your best (and worse) critic. The end.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:00 am
Usually I've already noticed all the things I'm being critiqued on.
But no one wants to have their work picked apart, showing everything that's the slightest bit wrong. Being told your stuff isn't good is just not something people like to take in. Which is mostly because if we did, we would all be terminally depressed.

The main thing is that y o u feel good about what you've drawn, and that you keep at it!  

Respirometric

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:28 pm
User Image
I've gotten over it over and over again

I feel like critiques help me move forward. They point out the negatives, and then I know what I need to work on. Even in really shitty critiques where people are "OMG U SUX HER ARMS LOOK LIKE SPAGHETTI" I then can get out of it that I need to study the movement and anatomy of arms more. I feel like if I didn't start putting my stuff out for critiques, I would still be stuck in the same place I used to be.

User Image----- Angelic Minis: 5mil/TOO MUCH----User Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:08 pm
I can't stand to -not- get critiqued. Whenever I've hit a rut, I noticed that there was a lack of critique towards my work. It helps me to grow. Albeit, I do like it when people say nice things about my work, but I always get frustrated when that's all I get. Sometimes it just takes a fresh set of eyes to see something I could have missed.  

Maurizio_Tamesis

Enlightened Dreamer

Zykaster

2,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:28 am
Eh__Miss__Raquel
How come it takes a critique for me to realize that I've never wanted to be critiqued?

I've had my art critiqued here before and I realized right after that I was comfortable and happy where I was and I wanted to move forward at my own pace.

I didn't want to hear only negative things about my art (and that's all I got) and I definitely didn't want the suggestions to be to study the style of someone else. I have my own, thank you very much. :3

well sometimes certain critiques are incredibly useless, but its the ones that are constructive that helps and its those that you want to pay attention to and if they're just mean just tell them to go to hell and get raped by the devil  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:07 pm
I always appreciate critiques from a few good art buddies.
As for critiques from strangers, it depends on the tone I guess. It annoys me when people (regardless of their skill) leave a critique in an arrogant tone.  

Look

Kinnect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:30 pm
I hate people that critique my work in a mean way, and they obviously dont know anything about what Im drawing and art.
It kinda sickens me :l

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:26 pm
Kinnect
I hate people that critique my work in a mean way, and they obviously dont know anything about what Im drawing and art.
It kinda sickens me :l

Bugs me too, but it is good to remember that it doesn't take a professional chef to taste when there's too much salt. Even totally uncreative people can tell you something useful to work on. :3  

Captain Kolita

Lullx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:35 pm
Eh__Miss__Raquel

I thought the "proper critique etiquette" was to give both negative and positive comments.
Like, pointing out a mistake and offering suggestions on how to improve it, then also giving the artist a compliment on something they did nicely...

That just seems kind of rude, to only state what you did wrong. ):  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:41 pm
Lullx
Eh__Miss__Raquel

I thought the "proper critique etiquette" was to give both negative and positive comments.
Like, pointing out a mistake and offering suggestions on how to improve it, then also giving the artist a compliment on something they did nicely...

That just seems kind of rude, to only state what you did wrong. ):

I second this, that is what I thought you are supposed to do, because if you just tear peoples art a part they may give up the practice, but it you give them too many compliments they refuse to grow because they think they are good as they are.  

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Dundeleedum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:51 pm
If this thread was in the AD this kid would have been ripped apart or something.

You guys are a lot nicer here. razz  
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces