Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Sooooooo. Snakes. Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azusanga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:54 am
As some of you have figured out I'm dead set on getting one of every animal ever xD

What're good 'starter' snakes?
Where would be an easy/cheap place to get pinkies? Besides Petco I'm hoping for.
What're some age spans?
I know that rubbermaids make great containers. What about substrates? I know sands=bad. Same general principle as that of other tank-dwellers?
Are there certain breeds of snakes that are known for being biters and others that aren't?

I'm gonna do tons of research, of course. Just wanna focus on a breed or two first =)  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:56 pm
well for good starter snakes, ive read that corn snakes and garter snakes r one of them  

dragwarrior

imderanged

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:00 pm
I haven't had snakes but I keep other herps & been around snakes..
2 types I've heard considered 'starter snakes' are corns & ball pythons. Neither gets HUGE. Neither are known to be biters. Corns are more active & more prone to escapes. Balls are heavier bodied & a bit more chill but can be picky eaters. I would probably use a reptile carpet or shelf liner as substrate for either. I'm not an expert in snakes at all though.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:28 pm
Quote:
As some of you have figured out I'm dead set on getting one of every animal ever xD
good luck getting a dodo bird whee  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Azusanga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:05 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
Quote:

Found one. Take that xD  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:19 pm
Im In The Airwaves JM
Cowgirl-with-heart
Quote:

Found one. Take that xD
xd fossils dont count! razz  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:09 pm
well im extremely biased here but i think that ball pythons are th ebest starter snake. they are a tiny bit tougher to care for than corns and milks because of humidity and the hunger strikes but they have great personalities. they prefer to hit you with their head than bite most of the time and they love to just chill on your lap.

corns, kings, and milks are easy to care for. they are more active than a ball and a little more jumpy but are still nice pets.

on a random note nearly everything i keep needs it temps around 90 XD  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:18 pm
I've got garter snakes. Caught two in the back yard, the female had babies. The wild parents have calmed down and aren't that bad, and the captive-born babies are very sweet and calm. None of them have ever tried snapping at me. The parents snap sometimes (I'm not sure if it's just headbutting, or if their mouth is open), especially when they're hungry. I THINK I might've been bitten once, but I'm not sure. I didn't feel it when it happened, just saw some marks a little later. (but when I compare their teeth to my cat's teeth, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't really hurt at all)

I just get pinkies from petsmart. Since I only feed them about once a week, it's not that expensive, given there's 6 in a box. The babies are still too small to eat pinkies, so only need enough for the parents.

I think once they're large enough to eat pinkies, captive-born garters would probably be very easy to care for and very sweet. They're just very active and don't often like staying still for loving. Constantly curious and on the move, wanting to sniff this and that, and jumping from things that move unexpectedly.
Though I have no clue how long they're supposed to live. Quick googling says to 20 years.

The parents' tank has this for the substrate, while the babies tank has this, in green and brown. I know the brown is the exact same product, I'm not sure if the green is.. but it comes out to be pretty much the same, except in green.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Azusanga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:29 pm
I think I've decided on a ball python. I kinda like the idea of a snake that'll like to sit and relax once in a while. Plus they're the cutest little beasts ever wink Doesn't someone on here breed them?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:34 pm
Im In The Airwaves JM
I think I've decided on a ball python. I kinda like the idea of a snake that'll like to sit and relax once in a while. Plus they're the cutest little beasts ever wink Doesn't someone on here breed them?
Radioactive condom does,I have her on FB,she actually has 11 eggs that are about 30 days away from hatching XD (she doesnt come here very often,but if theres something you want me to tell her,or something,I can relay a message)  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Azusanga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:37 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
Im In The Airwaves JM
Radioactive condom does,I have her on FB,she actually has 11 eggs that are about 30 days away from hatching XD (she doesnt come here very often,but if theres something you want me to tell her,or something,I can relay a message)

That's what I thought. By the time I'm actually ready to own one I'll see if she's still breeding and selling. I'd much rather buy a ball from someone who knows what they're doing and that I've seen their breeding stock before hand on something other then a breeder's site.

Do you know what state RC is in?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:38 pm
Im In The Airwaves JM
Cowgirl-with-heart
Im In The Airwaves JM

That's what I thought. By the time I'm actually ready to own one I'll see if she's still breeding and selling. I'd much rather buy a ball from someone who knows what they're doing and that I've seen their breeding stock before hand on something other then a breeder's site.

shes in Florida (shes not online right now,or I would tell her to scurry over here XD)  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Mia_MaxRide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:41 pm
Oh, Ballies are the BEST. I have one girl who's owned them since she was 7. And the one that she has right now, he'll lie around your neck like a really crazy necklace, and he will just sit there FOREVER.
Honestly, great pick, they are so worth it.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
Im In The Airwaves JM
Cowgirl-with-heart
Im In The Airwaves JM

shes in Florida (shes not online right now,or I would tell her to scurry over here XD)

xD Does she ship? Cause I'm not driving all the way to Florida o.o too far. -I find it best to get general ideas before they're needed, yes?-  

Azusanga

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:58 pm
Im In The Airwaves JM
Cowgirl-with-heart
Im In The Airwaves JM
Cowgirl-with-heart
Im In The Airwaves JM

xD Does she ship? Cause I'm not driving all the way to Florida o.o too far. -I find it best to get general ideas before they're needed, yes?-
I dont think she does,but she might for you,since your in the guild and she has known you for a while (I know one reason she doesnt,is she doesnt want her babies going somewhere she cant watch them) I will ask her next time I talk to her,what state are you in?  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff