Submit

What you expected?
  Yeah totally
  Nope
View Results

Gaughan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:11 pm
Yesturday, Ign made up a new report on what seemed to be leaked news of the virtual console on the Revolution.

Not only news, but mock-up images where posted on the site.

And cause I can't be bothered writing it out in my own words, I'm going to copy and paste. ^^

Quote:
January 11, 2006 - An official survey conducted for Nintendo of America by marketing company Zanthus may shed new light on Revolution's "Virtual Console" concept. The website www.classicgamer.com took part in the online questionnaire, which offered a more in-depth look at the game download system for Nintendo's next-generation console than has previously been seen. The survey even featured mocked-up artwork representing how the graphical user interface for the process may look and function. The concepts below are by no means final, but nevertheless Zanthus prepared these materials based on direction from Nintendo of America and therefore they should not be discounted.

The survey featured eight different mock-ups, each showing different features of Revolution's "Virtual Console" setup. The questionnaire began at a mocked-up Revolution homepage - possibly the same destination retrieved when gamers press the still-mysterious "home" button on the console's controller. Located on this hub menu are four options, including Settings, Memory Cards, Parental Controls and - the focus of this article - Virtual Console.
For those who haven't been following Nintendo's new platform, the concept of the "virtual console" describes Revolution's game download service. The Big N's highest-ranking executives have publicly stated that Revolution will not only be able to wirelessly connect online, but that players will also be able to directly download some of their favorite NES, S-NES and N64 classics. The specifics of this service have up until this survey remained completely speculative.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

According to the enclosed mock-ups, once the "Virtual Console" option has been selected, Revolution owners are asked to choose a system for its corresponding games. NES, S-NES and N64 are the available options, which is appropriate since GameCube titles cannot be downloaded via this service; Revolution is able to play GCN software, but gamers must first own the original discs. Users seeking to download and play the classic Kid Icarus would obviously select the NES option, just as those hoping to get their hands on Pilot Wings 64 would go with the N64 icon.

Once a console is selected, a catalog of software presumably becomes available - at least, based on what we can ascertain from the enclosed mock-ups. From here, users have the freedom to browse the catalog and either buy or rent software. We expect that if Revolution owners rent software, they are able to download it for a pre-specified time before it expires and is no longer functional. In contrast, if they choose to buy it, it is stored permanently in their "My Library" folder, which is also shown in concepts. Based on these mock-ups the system may utilize a point structure similar to Microsoft's Xbox Live architecture. Once a game has been rented, purchased and downloaded, it is fully emulated and playable in its entirety.

Evidently the study highlighted three different pricing structures. The first was a subscription based package that would enable users to rent and play any game they wanted for $14.99 per month. Meanwhile, NES titles were listed for approximately $2.99 and N64 titles for a more expensive $19.99. These numbers are naturally neither finalized nor confirmed by Nintendo itself.

The most interesting part of this questionnaire -- aside from possible prices -- is that Zanthus also included a list of preliminary software that is likely to be made available on Revolution's "virtual console" system early on. We've featured the list, which boasts everything from the original Metroid to the never-released-in-the-states Sin & Punishment for Nintendo 64. Check it out. If, after reading it, you're still not excited, you've got much more self control than we do.

NES Games

Balloon Fight
Baseball
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Dr. Mario
Duck Hunt
Excitebike
Hogan's Alley
Ice Climber
Ice Hockey
Kid Icarus
Kirby
Kung Fu
Mario Bros.
Mario Open Golf
Metroid
Pinball
Pro Wrestling
Punch Out
RC Pro AM
Soccer
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tennis
Tetris
Urban Champion
Volleyball
Wario's Woods
Yoshi's Cookies
Zelda
Zelda (Adventure of Link)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S-NES Games

Battle Clash
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Earthbound
F-Zero
Illusion of Gaia
Killer Instinct
Kirby's Avalanche
Kirby Dream Course
Kirby Super Star
Kirby 3
Pilot Wings
Sim City
Star Fox
Stunt Race FX
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Play Action Football
Super Scope 6
Super Soccer
Super Tennis
Tetris Attack
Tetris 2
Uniracers
Vegas Stakes
Wario's Woods
Yoshi's Hunting
Yoshi's Island
Zelda

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N64 Games

Blast Corps
Bomberman 64
Cruisin' USA
Goldeneye
Mario Golf 64
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis 64
Ogre Battle 64
Paper Mario
Pilot Wings 64
Pokemon Snap
Sin & Punishment
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Wave Race
Yoshi's Story
Zelda

We attempted to take part in the survey, too, but were promptly denied access. After contacting Zanuth and requesting entry to the questionnaire, the company's founder and CEO, David Edwards, explained that it was a private study and never intended for press.

"Thanks for your inquiry about participating in our survey on the Nintendo Revolution's 'Virtual Console' service. I'm sorry to inform you, however, that this survey is intended for a general gaming audience rather than industry professionals," he stated. "In addition, our agreement with Nintendo stipulates that the content of this and other, similar surveys can't be released to the press. This agreement extends to our survey respondents. It is unfortunate some survey respondents have broken their agreement with us by posting select research stimuli."

Edwards also reinforced to us that all mock-ups contained within the survey are unfinished and do not necessarily represent the interface for Revolution's virtual console. "Please note that these materials are preliminary in nature and as such, subject to change," he said.

"Nintendo is considering a variety of options for the virtual console service for our next console, code-named Revolution, although details have not been announced at this time," Nintendo of America said in a statement today. "In our normal course of business, Nintendo conducts consumer research for many of our products with information and imagery that do not represent actual product specifics."

Nintendo is expected to reveal much more about its still-codenamed Revolution console, including details about its virtual console functionality, at this May's Electronics Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:02 pm
They didn't make it up..  

N t e r

Gaughan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:47 pm
Didnt make what up? xp  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:07 pm
Freakin sweet! looks easy to use yet simple. Seeing those games made me smile. A Very very very big smile. Shame their not confirmed(i dont think)  

Mr._Stabby

Rockman JET

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:08 pm
interesting i guess.... although i wonder still what titles will be availble for the system and also whether or not some games are going to be released.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:50 am
Very nice. Some of those games I've been trying to find but couldn't find the carts...others....It'll just be cool to not have to switch out systems. xp Just an awsome list of games in general.  

TurMacar

Owl and Pussycat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:56 pm

Wow, that's awesome.

I hope the interface looks cooler though, I thought it looked a little bland, and boring. I hope they go alittle sleeker for that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:12 am
[.SamusAran.]

I hope the interface looks cooler though, I thought it looked a little bland, and boring. I hope they go alittle sleeker for that.

You know they will. :3
I'll be really pissed off that the presentation is like that tho D:  

Gaughan
Crew

ayukichan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:19 pm
I'm guessing it's a mock up as well. xp  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:10 am
hmmm... Wii virtual console, out of lack of not replying earlier, I appologize. but in response to the new info regarding it with the consoles not limited to Nintendo produced consoles, I'm proud to inform the list of consoles emulatedso far.

NES(Famicom)
SNES(Super Famicom)
N64(Ultra 64)
Sega Genesis
Turbo Grafix 16

I think it's a good list of consoles to emulate. now Nintendo can start fileing legal suits against people who use their playstation consoles to pirate games. and we all know sony is into pirateing games! so this'll give Nintendo some ground in many suits, helping Nintendo and Sega and even Hudson Soft in legal battles regarding emulation. especially when there's issues regarding emulation, and backed issues to help and break emulators.

the natural defense of an emulation gamer is to point out the game is no longer available and/or never was available in the USA or nation the suit is filed. the thing that'll break emulation is Wii with virtual console, which will put a lot of hurt on anyone pirateing emulated games.

piracy broke the Dreamcast, and the PS2 is hitting up emulation, so when Wii comes out it'll likely break sony, like pneumatic log splitter would do to a human spine!  

RAPTOR948

Rockman JET

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:22 pm
RAPTOR948
hmmm... Wii virtual console, out of lack of not replying earlier, I appologize. but in response to the new info regarding it with the consoles not limited to Nintendo produced consoles, I'm proud to inform the list of consoles emulatedso far.

NES(Famicom)
SNES(Super Famicom)
N64(Ultra 64)
Sega Genesis
Turbo Grafix 16

I think it's a good list of consoles to emulate. now Nintendo can start fileing legal suits against people who use their playstation consoles to pirate games. and we all know sony is into pirateing games! so this'll give Nintendo some ground in many suits, helping Nintendo and Sega and even Hudson Soft in legal battles regarding emulation. especially when there's issues regarding emulation, and backed issues to help and break emulators.

the natural defense of an emulation gamer is to point out the game is no longer available and/or never was available in the USA or nation the suit is filed. the thing that'll break emulation is Wii with virtual console, which will put a lot of hurt on anyone pirateing emulated games.

piracy broke the Dreamcast, and the PS2 is hitting up emulation, so when Wii comes out it'll likely break sony, like pneumatic log splitter would do to a human spine!

To bad nintendo doesn't release some of the unreleased, that were released in Japan, games over here in English.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:28 pm
Rockman JET
RAPTOR948

NES(Famicom)
SNES(Super Famicom)
N64(Ultra 64)
Sega Genesis
Turbo Grafix 16

To bad nintendo doesn't release some of the unreleased, that were released in Japan, games over here in English.
well, it would still be nice if I could see the actual games I have ROMs for and see hwo far I get in the Japanese version, or they'll rerelease the roms to language selectable formats.  

RAPTOR948

Rockman JET

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:56 pm
RAPTOR948
Rockman JET
RAPTOR948

NES(Famicom)
SNES(Super Famicom)
N64(Ultra 64)
Sega Genesis
Turbo Grafix 16

well, it would still be nice if I could see the actual games I have ROMs for and see hwo far I get in the Japanese version, or they'll rerelease the roms to language selectable formats.

or you could learn japanese.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:42 pm
Rockman JET
RAPTOR948
Rockman JET
RAPTOR948

NES(Famicom)
SNES(Super Famicom)
N64(Ultra 64)
Sega Genesis
Turbo Grafix 16

well if I learn Japanese I'd be more fluent, but I'll need t learn the written language first, so as to read the text in many Japanese games.  

RAPTOR948

Rockman JET

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:05 pm
RAPTOR948
Rockman JET
RAPTOR948
Rockman JET
RAPTOR948

NES(Famicom)
SNES(Super Famicom)
N64(Ultra 64)
Sega Genesis
Turbo Grafix 16

well if I learn Japanese I'd be more fluent, but I'll need t learn the written language first, so as to read the text in many Japanese games.

Its never hurts to be more of anything unless its like something horrible like the holocaust or that.  
Nintendo Defenders

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff