Welcome to Gaia! ::

THE RANDOM PEOPLE OF TOMORROW [[LET'S RAWRRR]]

Back to Guilds

Playground for the random. 

Tags: Random, Hangout, Roleplay, Contests, Arts 

Reply Debating Debating it all goes Here [[ Serious Debates and Controversial Topics]]
So being gay, lesbian, or bisexual is apparently Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Symarea
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:59 am
in your genes/DNA.

Myth: Being gay is a choice

While some claim that being gay is a choice, or that homosexuality can be cured, evidence is mounting that same-sex attraction is at least partly genetic and biologically based.

To test whether genes play a role, researchers have compared identical twins (in which all genes are shared) to fraternal twins (in which about 50 percent of genes are shared). A 2001 review of such twin studies reported that almost all found identical twins were significantly more likely to share a sexual orientation - that is, to be either both gay, or both straight - than fraternal twins, who are less genetically close. Such findings indicate that genes do factor into a person's orientation.

Other studies have found that biological effects, such as hormone exposure in the womb, can also play a role in shaping sexual orientation. And findings of physiological differences, such as different inner ear shapes between homosexual and heterosexual women, contribute to this idea.

"The results support the theory that differences in the central nervous system exist between homosexual and heterosexual individuals and that the differences are possibly related to early factors in brain development," said Sandra Witelson of McMaster University in Ontario, an author on the 1998 inner ear finding published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

I tried to tell people it wasn't a choice. B| The choice is to accept it.. Not to be it. B|  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:03 pm
Cool.  

Dagger1819

Le Sapphoux

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:12 pm
Yeah, and all those religious camps to "cure" it don't do a single goddamned thing :[ Because it's not something that CAN be cured... v_v;
I know homosexuality isn't a choice. If it was, all those tormented gay people would choose to just turn it off so they can fit better in a society that doesn't accept them. But they can't, which is why they get so messed up by it v_v;
I'm not really sure what to think of bisexuality, though. 'Cause you're not really gay.... or straight. It's more of an... open mindedness... I guess. I don't know. I'M bi, and it's kinda hard to explain. But I'm bisexual because I don't want gender to define who I fall in love with ._. Because I think love overlooks gender.
And on THAT note, I don't know why people get so mad about one person of one gender loving someone of the same gender! IT'S LOVE. WHY DO PEOPLE GET SO MAD ABOUT LOVE. ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S NOT AFFECTING THEIR LIVES AT ALL. LET PEOPLE LOVE WHO THEY WANNA LOVE AND BACK THE EFF DOWN, MAANNN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:15 pm
Le Sapphoux
Yeah, and all those religious camps to "cure" it don't do a single goddamned thing :[ Because it's not something that CAN be cured... v_v;
I know homosexuality isn't a choice. If it was, all those tormented gay people would choose to just turn it off so they can fit better in a society that doesn't accept them. But they can't, which is why they get so messed up by it v_v;
I'm not really sure what to think of bisexuality, though. 'Cause you're not really gay.... or straight. It's more of an... open mindedness... I guess. I don't know. I'M bi, and it's kinda hard to explain. But I'm bisexual because I don't want gender to define who I fall in love with ._. Because I think love overlooks gender.
And on THAT note, I don't know why people get so mad about one person of one gender loving someone of the same gender! IT'S LOVE. WHY DO PEOPLE GET SO MAD ABOUT LOVE. ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S NOT AFFECTING THEIR LIVES AT ALL. LET PEOPLE LOVE WHO THEY WANNA LOVE AND BACK THE EFF DOWN, MAANNN
*pats on the gun*  

Dagger1819

Symarea
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:38 pm
My grandmother still doesn't believe it.. Even after I should her the website. B| She's four generations away from me, and still thinks the world is so closed minded as she it. People are, but not everyone is. B|

And Sapph, you and I are one in the same. I find it wrong to neglect your love for someone just because they are the same gender and to find the opposite gender you don't love as much and not reap full benefits.. Well.. That just makes me sad. emo  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:36 pm
User Image

I personally have a large number of Gay male friends because I tend to get along with them better than anyone else.

My Best friend in the whole world is Gay, and he hates it, he would rather not be gay. He's gotten so upset about it we've had numerous conversations that have almost put him in tears. Don't ******** tell me it's a choice when it can cause someone to suffer so much. Who the hell wants to choose to be something that is so frowned upon, and something a numerous number of people will hate and ridicule you for? Being Gay, Lesbian, or Bisexual is like slapping a stamp on your forehead that says please look down upon me and treat me different just because I choose to love. It's utter bullshit, and people who blindly think it's a choice or refuse to believe that these people are born this way, disgust me.

[/rant]

On a side note I'm bi, I always have been. I have a strong attraction to both men and women for different reasons, I'm engaged to a man yes but that's because he holds all the qualities I wanted in a life partner. Had I found a woman of the same type, I'd probably be with her.

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

ll ChemicalCollision ll

8,000 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Kiatka

5,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:03 pm
I always thought there were 3 types of gay/ bi and that was choice(being Bi became a fad a few years back I think that ended but all these girls I knew said they were bi to get guys.)

Then there was gay by trauma ie sexual abuse usually

and then the genetic.

That and its completely natural. They have documented 1500 animal species that also exhibit same sex pairings.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Kiatka
I always thought there were 3 types of gay/ bi and that was choice(being Bi became a fad a few years back I think that ended but all these girls I knew said they were bi to get guys.)

Then there was gay by trauma ie sexual abuse usually

and then the genetic.

That and its completely natural. They have documented 1500 animal species that also exhibit same sex pairings.

The third one is not choice. People can't choose their genetics. =T

The first one would be people making fun of the deal, so I don't see how that suits in as a choice to be such. All it proves is they made the choice to be idiots and greedy people.

The second one wouldn't be choice either, people cannot physically choose how their life playsout. BUT I do see how someone could choose to be with the same/opposite sex because of abuse.  

Symarea
Crew

C a r a m e l K i t t e h

Dangerous Sex Symbol

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:10 pm
I think its both. Some people choose to experiment and they like it. Some are just born that way. I don't think its the same for everyone. There's no such thing as a cookie cutter person.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:20 pm
I'm personally bi, with a preference for women, mainly because I know that the type of women I'm attracted to would likely be better for me than the type of men I'm attracted to. And when I think about it, like, really think about it, my first crush was my first grade teacher, Ms. Purdy, so the signs were there early. Also, my mum tried to pressure me as a kid to prefer girls by saying "Penises are evil" and stuff like that...

Anyway, I think that no matter a person's gender, race, or socio-political background, if you love them, none of it matters at all.  

QuiteProbablyInsane

Friendly Aggressor

13,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Guildmember 100

Symarea
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:23 pm
I'm bi as well, I posted this because normally no one believes me that it has to do with their genes.. So now that I had proof, I posted. B|  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:36 pm
MurdocLuvr
I'm personally bi, with a preference for women, mainly because I know that the type of women I'm attracted to would likely be better for me than the type of men I'm attracted to. And when I think about it, like, really think about it, my first crush was my first grade teacher, Ms. Purdy, so the signs were there early. Also, my mum tried to pressure me as a kid to prefer girls by saying "Penises are evil" and stuff like that...

Anyway, I think that no matter a person's gender, race, or socio-political background, if you love them, none of it matters at all.
*glomps* 8D?  

Dagger1819

Kiatka

5,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:39 pm
That isnt what I was saying actually. What I was attempting to say is that there are other factors other then simply genetics.
I wasnt saying all gay people choose to be gay this is obviously not the case. I was saying some people do choose it and some people have mental issues and still others have genetic factors.

Personally it doesnt matter to me one way or another what catagory they fall into. 1 it doesnt effect me and 2 its none of my business who a person falls in love with. (Unless its my man and then I have to kill them but anyway)

Its nobodys right to judge another person no matter what they have done. Thats for whatever power that you believe in.

Live your life how you choose and screw anyone that tries to make you someone you're not  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:56 pm
MurdocLuvr

Mine was a busty, blonde substitute teacher in first or second grade. I don't remember her name. I just remember how she looked and how she smiled at me while I was staring blankly at her, and how I blushed and looked down and was confused about the attraction because "she's a girl and girls don't like other girls." According to my upbringing, anyway.

Le Sapphoux

Kiatka

5,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:03 pm
Le Sapphoux
MurdocLuvr

Mine was a busty, blonde substitute teacher in first or second grade. I don't remember her name. I just remember how she looked and how she smiled at me while I was staring blankly at her, and how I blushed and looked down and was confused about the attraction because "she's a girl and girls don't like other girls." According to my upbringing, anyway.

It happens. Most people at sometime in thier life get attracted to someone of the same sex. I had a female friend of mine that I was like wow...and I got confused myself. I called one of my friends telling him I thought I was gay. He asked me if I still liked guys and I said yes. Then asked me if I was attacted to other women or just the one. I said just the one because thats all it has been up till now. He explained the stats on people. I think it was like 85% of women and 70% of men have had a sexual thought or attraction to someone of the same sex. It doesnt make you gay or Bi it simply makes you human

. Me and the one that I was attracted to laugh about it now.  
Debating Debating it all goes Here [[ Serious Debates and Controversial Topics]]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games