Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bento District

Back to Guilds

If you're a foodie who prizes creative plate presentation, this is the place for you :3 

Tags: bento, food, lunch, recipe, cute 

Reply District Food for Thought
How to Add Cuteness! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sailor Blue Rose

Romantic Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:54 pm
Asa side-note: There is also rose water which can be used in many different things. Persians use it in ice cream. I have tasted it... it's good.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:30 pm
Sailor Blue Rose
Asa side-note: There is also rose water which can be used in many different things. Persians use it in ice cream. I have tasted it... it's good.

Rose flavored icecream? Interesting. I wish I could try some. crying  

Yuki Akina

koi19

Wheezing Nerd

8,450 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:10 pm
I haven't done anything to make my bentos cute or particularly colorful yet. I'm trying to find ways to add more variety to it.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:58 pm
koi19
I haven't done anything to make my bentos cute or particularly colorful yet. I'm trying to find ways to add more variety to it.

Adding color and variety is actually very easy. You can add different kinds of fruits and vegtables. That being said you have options on top of options! You can get fresh, canned, boiled, fried, grilled, toped, etc. Just remember, typically when you add color your adding health benifits to your lunch! For example, my favorite veggies are bell peppers, they're nice and colorfull and they have all sorts of nutrients. whee Sorry, I'm kinda passionate about good food. sweatdrop  

Yuki Akina

Sir3n Song
Captain

Beloved Conventioneer

7,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:11 pm
Sailor Blue Rose

I love rose flavor heart It's so elegant! I have it as hot black tea, milk tea with boba, and I've had rose ice cream 3nodding I'd say it's definitely an acquired taste because it's very floral and slightly perfume-y, but very worth a try,  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:21 pm
Yuki Akina
koi19

Adding color and variety is actually very easy. You can add different kinds of fruits and vegtables. That being said you have options on top of options! You can get fresh, canned, boiled, fried, grilled, toped, etc. Just remember, typically when you add color your adding health benifits to your lunch! For example, my favorite veggies are bell peppers, they're nice and colorfull and they have all sorts of nutrients. whee Sorry, I'm kinda passionate about good food. sweatdrop

I agree with Yuki! The easiest way to make your bento aesthetic is to add color. According to the rule of goshiki, you should have 5 colors; white, red/orange, yellow, green and black/brown/purple. For a quick example of a colorful, healthy lunch;
arrow White - Hard boiled quail eggs or rice
arrow Red - Tomatoes (maybe even a salsa or bruschetta)
arrow Yellow - Yellow squash
arrow Green - Broccoli
arrow Black - Black sesame seeds or Purple - Eggplant.

Cook these things in your favorite way, add your favorite protein and pack em up! mrgreen Just start thinking of all the different fruits, veggies, proteins and starches you like, what colors they are, and shop accordingly! Canned, frozen or fresh, you can make it happen 3nodding  

Sir3n Song
Captain

Beloved Conventioneer

7,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100

Sailor Blue Rose

Romantic Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:47 pm
Sir3n Song
Sailor Blue Rose

I love rose flavor heart It's so elegant! I have it as hot black tea, milk tea with boba, and I've had rose ice cream 3nodding I'd say it's definitely an acquired taste because it's very floral and slightly perfume-y, but very worth a try,

I was going to say it was an acquired too, but I didn't want to turn people away from trying it. But anyone reading this, should give it a try at least once, if not for anything else the experience, and to say that you have tried it.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:07 pm
Sir3n Song
Yuki Akina
koi19

I agree with Yuki! The easiest way to make your bento aesthetic is to add color. According to the rule of goshiki, you should have 5 colors; white, red/orange, yellow, green and black/brown/purple. For a quick example of a colorful, healthy lunch;
arrow White - Hard boiled quail eggs or rice
arrow Red - Tomatoes (maybe even a salsa or bruschetta)
arrow Yellow - Yellow squash
arrow Green - Broccoli
arrow Black - Black sesame seeds or Purple - Eggplant.

Cook these things in your favorite way, add your favorite protein and pack em up! mrgreen Just start thinking of all the different fruits, veggies, proteins and starches you like, what colors they are, and shop accordingly! Canned, frozen or fresh, you can make it happen 3nodding

You should also keep in mind what's inseason, for example you could use pickeled butternut squash or pumpkin. Last year I made mini pumpkin pies for my bentos and they were so good. But, the most important thing is to make food you like and have fun with it!  

Yuki Akina

Sir3n Song
Captain

Beloved Conventioneer

7,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:07 pm
Yuki Akina

You should also keep in mind what's inseason, for example you could use pickeled butternut squash or pumpkin. Last year I made mini pumpkin pies for my bentos and they were so good. But, the most important thing is to make food you like and have fun with it!

Very true! I found a good page talking about what's in season when 3nodding Once you create some variety in your meal, you can start working on creative cuts and more decorative additions moving towards making it cute 4laugh  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:11 pm
Unfortunately, I'm a very picky eater. I'm trying to expand my options though. I've never had squash, zucchini, pumpkin or eggplant and I'm still hesitant to try it. My bf is also really picky, he's more veggie friendly than I am but he won't eat anything... phallic shaped... sweatdrop Claims its hard to swallow.

On the other hand, I still have some sweet potatoes that I want to use before they go bad. I just don't know what to do with them. I might just saute them or throw them in the oven confused No clue.

Usually, our bentos have 3 colors minimum - 5+ when I make mixed veggies and toss them in.

Also - I hate pie. Like, a lot.  

koi19

Wheezing Nerd

8,450 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

Sir3n Song
Captain

Beloved Conventioneer

7,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:40 pm
koi19
Unfortunately, I'm a very picky eater. I'm trying to expand my options though. I've never had squash, zucchini, pumpkin or eggplant and I'm still hesitant to try it. My bf is also really picky, he's more veggie friendly than I am but he won't eat anything... phallic shaped... sweatdrop Claims its hard to swallow.

On the other hand, I still have some sweet potatoes that I want to use before they go bad. I just don't know what to do with them. I might just saute them or throw them in the oven confused No clue.

Usually, our bentos have 3 colors minimum - 5+ when I make mixed veggies and toss them in.

Also - I hate pie. Like, a lot.

Check out that page I linked earlier for seasonal fruits and veg. It will help you start picking out more things to try and see if you like them! I used to be a picky eater when I was little, but after I took a home ec class in high school and it really helped me expand my pallet! Start small, but really try to push yourself to try new things. You'll be glad you did when you find more awesome things to eat blaugh Variety is truly the spice of life!! Once you've got more things to work with, then you can start making shapes and characters and such :B

And your boyfriend is silly. The majority of veggies are phallic and they all get chopped up into the same size and shape dramallama It is no affront to his manhood to eat a vegetable, no matter what shape it was originally.

Sweet potatoes are yummy, I hope you use them up soon!  
District Food for Thought

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff