Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply The Mouseia: ART AND STORIES
ENFANT TERRIBLE - Art Competition

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:27 am
ENFANT TERRIBLE ART COMPETITION

So, I was browsing some images of classical pottery, and I found this adorable picture. And it inspired me to draw a little cartoon.
User Image

Prince Asterion of Krete, known to the Athenians as Minotauros.

According to myth, the son of Phaedra, while born with the monstrous features of a bull, was nevertheless loved by his mother and still possessed a gentle nature in his youth. However, he soon grew enormous and developed an insatiable hunger for flesh, so King Minos eventually enlisted the skills of Daidalos to build the Kretan Labyrinth, in whose inscrutable corridors he imprisoned his ravenous stepson. King Minos had conquered Athens and demanded that seven Athenian youths and seven maidens, chosen at random, be sent every ninth year to Knossos, where they would be thrown into the labyrinth to feed the monster. The hero Theseus ultimately killed Minotauros, armed with the sword of Aegeus and the aid of the gods.

But anyway, here's Asterion as a young...erm...Minotaurling? Playing 'hoplite' with a wooden sword and shield. Perhaps he's imagining himself as a hero, slaying a foul monster, driving his sword into its throat and...oh dear, now we're getting metatextual, aren't we?

I don't know, I rather took a liking to the tragic Asterion, who was held in much higher esteem by the Kretans and the Etruscans (the Kretan Bull with whom Phaedra conceived Minotauros was originally Poseidon, who the Kretans associated with the bull, but the myth was seen in a more cynical light by the mainland Greeks).

Which brings me to my point.

I'm going to start a contest of sorts. I'll give you guys a couple of weeks to come up with your best drawing of a Classical monster - in its younger days. It can be any monster - Kerberos, Hydra, Khimaira, Sphinx - as long as its reputation was infamous. Let's see how creative you all can be by casting the scourges of myth in a more positive light. I will not be judging based on drawing skill or talent, but rather on creativity.

The winner will receive:

30,000 Gaia Gold.

A custom avatar image from me (of your avi or one of your choice), featuring any of the clothes displayed in the Greek Fashion Thread in any colour or cut they wish, along with your featured monsterling!

So, Happy sketching!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:07 pm
this is my art. as good as it gets!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

its a masterpiece!  

I-Ate-Your-Oreos

Sparkly Trash

17,190 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Egg Collector 100

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:40 am
Again, my artistic ability lacks. If you wanted me to write a play, or maybe record something, my Muses and I would have done magically. But no.

I chose Argus, the one hundred eyed giant. Here he is with a baby outfit, shaking his rattle which contains a poor mortal. At a young age, this guard loved blood and yelps, but soon grew silent once an eye grew on his tongue, making him unable to speak for himself. This is him without as many eyeballs, too, as he is still juvenile.

Here he is  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:42 pm
Here's one i did a while back... (i have a few others but... im lazy... mrgreen ) So here's Hydra... User Image  

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

Night_of_the_Phoenix

Conservative Genius

5,650 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:24 am
Aww! That's so adorable!

I just wanted you to know I'll put my pic up as soon as I upload it. Can you please wait until then? 4laugh

♥ Thank you!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:01 am
history goddess
Here's one i did a while back... (i have a few others but... im lazy... mrgreen ) So here's Hydra... User Image

....wait a second, you made a picture of a baby hydra a while back?
why would you do that xd
it looks good very good!
cute!  

olddaysgone

4,000 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Sindavra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:18 pm
I chose the Sphinx, which I chose to depict as a young girl who's broken into her mother's bedroom to play dress-up. On the bed is her favourite toy doll, a cloth human in a purple robe which has feet out of proportion to its body. It was either this choice or one piece involving Ekhidna.
User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:35 pm
Is this thing still going on? If so, I have an entry as well.

It's Medusa - I thought it would have been funny if she had actually been afraid of snakes when she was younger. sweatdrop

User Image  

FlickoFly

Dapper Dreamer

24,725 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
  • 5000 High Score 200

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:31 pm
saga576
....wait a second, you made a picture of a baby hydra a while back?
why would you do that xd
it looks good very good!
cute!

I get bored so i draw... and when im taking a greek mythology corse my head kinda gets suck on it so things like baby hydra are what happen... mrgreen thanks btw.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:28 am
Flicker Chan
Is this thing still going on? If so, I have an entry as well.

It's Medusa - I thought it would have been funny if she had actually been afraid of snakes when she was younger. sweatdrop

Love it! 4laugh well done!  

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

Night_of_the_Phoenix

Conservative Genius

5,650 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:49 am
OhmyGodsMedusalookssocute!!! EEeeeeeeeepp!!!!!! LOVEITILOVEITILOVEITILOVEITILOVEIT!!! heart heart heart  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:15 pm
Okay, it's long past the time I should've wrapped this one up. I was just hoping we got more entries than we did, but oh well.

The winner is Flicker Chan! All the entries were very lovely, but her illustration had a delightful touch of irony in it. Congradulations!  

Akherontis
Captain

FlickoFly

Dapper Dreamer

24,725 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
  • 5000 High Score 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:10 pm
Akherontis
Okay, it's long past the time I should've wrapped this one up. I was just hoping we got more entries than we did, but oh well.

The winner is Flicker Chan! All the entries were very lovely, but her illustration had a delightful touch of irony in it. Congradulations!

WAIT, HOLY CRAP WHAT. OH WOW, THANKS! eek  
The Mouseia: ART AND STORIES

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff