Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
The most powerful god. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The White Dagger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:06 am
Besides zeus poesiden and Hades who is the most powerful god.

I would say athena because she has a lot of influence.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:45 pm
How do you define 'powerful'? Greek Mythology is not a videogame and tends to lack statistical attributes for its characters. And Zeus, Poseidon and Hades are not necessarily the most powerful gods, just the highest ranked. Even then, you have to consider deities like the Fates or Eros, so there's no real basis for comparison of power. The question is impossible to answer.  

Akherontis
Captain

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:41 pm
While Akherontis is right, theres also the factor of which ancient source people tend to follow... example Hesoid said Hecate was one wickedly powerful goddess, and in the orphic tradition Dionysus was yet Homer tends to think both (when he mentioned them) weren't so... Time changes perspectives as much as different people personalitlies do...  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:18 am
Yeah, I think the Fates are probably the most important gods, but also Mnemosyne had a large importance. The fates decided your fate(which is pretty big), while Mnemosyne was very important in Ancient Greek culture, for she was the titaness of memory, and while they didn't have any real libraries and such, she was the one that remembered all. So....

(I just realized I know to much about Mnemosyne.)  

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

ShadowAlexis

550 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:21 pm
I have to agree about the fates  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:16 am
poseidon!!!!  

CiaraIsMine

ChaosEntities

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:54 am
They are all powerful in their own way. If they weren't why would there be multiple gods instead of just one?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Nyx is essentially one of the most powerful of the gods of ancient times(Thalassa notwithstanding!)  

Javier Cross

DimStar14

5,000 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:37 pm
I'd have to say the Fates if I had to choose one.... They determined everyone's course of life, which is pretty big. If I can remember...I think that nobody could change what the Fates determine for your path of life...  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:49 am
sorry but i don't understand are the fates gods?  

jsky_high

6,650 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:40 pm
jsky_high
sorry but i don't understand are the fates gods?

Goddesses. Klotho the spinner, Lakhesis the alloter and Atropos the shearer. Their parentage is disputed, but I tend to subscribe to the notion that they are daughters of Khronos (Time) and Ananke (Necessity).  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:22 pm
Eris is obviously the most powerful. For without strife, there would be no reason for anybody to do anything of importance, whether god or man.  

Mylian

Eloquent Lunatic

15,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Gender Swap 100

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:27 am
Mylian
Eris is obviously the most powerful. For without strife, there would be no reason for anybody to do anything of importance, whether god or man.

Even the elder Eris is only the youngest of Nyx's daughters, and the younger Eris (Enyo) is virtually secondary to her brother/lover Ares. Strife is only as important as other aspects of the human condition, such as Love and Wisdom. Even then, you must consider the more primal deities who govern the cosmic forces of reality itself, like Gaia or Khronos.

As I've said before, there really is no single standard of power by which one can judge between gods.  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:33 am
Akherontis
Mylian

Even the elder Eris is only the youngest of Nyx's daughters, and the younger Eris (Enyo) is virtually secondary to her brother/lover Ares. Strife is only as important as other aspects of the human condition, such as Love and Wisdom. Even then, you must consider the more primal deities who govern the cosmic forces of reality itself, like Gaia or Khronos.

As I've said before, there really is no single standard of power by which one can judge between gods.

Of course. I was just participating in the spirit of the conversation. xd

Really, it reminds me of the Borromean rings. The rings are all interlocked, but in such a way that removing one ring will cause all the others to fall away from each other. Each ring exercises critical power over the whole, but that doesn't make any one of them "the most powerful".  

Mylian

Eloquent Lunatic

15,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Gender Swap 100

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:37 am
Mylian

Of course. I was just participating in the spirit of the conversation. xd

Really, it reminds me of the Borromean rings. The rings are all interlocked, but in such a way that removing one ring will cause all the others to fall away from each other. Each ring exercises critical power over the whole, but that doesn't make any one of them "the most powerful".

That's a fair analogy. Some deities are more important in the grand scheme of things than others, though. We wouldn't be anywhere at all without Khronos and Ananke. Importance doesn't necessarily equate to power, nonetheless.  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff