Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Why in the World.... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ping of Death

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:55 am
Probably because unlike Athena, Ares isn't exactly a wise god. And even if he is the war god he is always seen in most stories as a coward. Like the ancient Greeks, people today look at the whole package. I wouldn't think a god who would cry out in pain in the middle of the battlefield would be so cool.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:17 am
Athena is the goddess of war. Ares, though his name means war, is more properly the god of slaughter, bloodlust, carnage, masculinity, bravery and cowardice (paradoxically).  

Akherontis
Captain

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:00 pm
Ping of Death
Probably because unlike Athena, Ares isn't exactly a wise god. And even if he is the war god he is always seen in most stories as a coward. Like the ancient Greeks, people today look at the whole package. I wouldn't think a god who would cry out in pain in the middle of the battlefield would be so cool.

Personally, just because i'd find Poseidon somewhat cooler than Ares is, for the most part, does not mean that i believe Ares would have been a massive coward[he did kill a child of Poseidon who was an attempted rapist, like i said, did he not?he needs some applause for that!] plus its normally a tough call between the two[for me, anyway!], recalling all the positive stuff they'd tend to do that's constructive.

The only time when i can imagine Ares making a massive retreat was with the incident of Typhon, but then again, most of the Other Olympians were either too busy evacuating their ilk and making a run for it, or wanted to stay with Zeus and fight, but were ordered to accompany the evacuees.

In a straight-forward situation, i generally don't believe that the Gods would leave their demigod children to die if it can be helped[and except for the above-mentioned killing of a rapist, and the Trojan War, in which only Aphrodite was trying to keep her son alive, it can be helped!!!Although there are more meaningful exceptions out there than just what i recalled in there, too!] because for all the bad parenting they are known for, i heard of far worse societies that are more irresponsible in caring for their children and descendants than they are[although all the Olympians have their own varying problems, too!]

But alas, i digress!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:31 pm
Javier Cross

The only time when i can imagine Ares making a massive retreat was with the incident of Typhon, but then again, most of the Other Olympians were either too busy evacuating their ilk and making a run for it, or wanted to stay with Zeus and fight, but were ordered to accompany the evacuees.

Actually, once upon a time, the Aloadai Giants came up to Olympus, in hopes of getting Artemis and Hera as their brides, and taking over Olympus. Ares was captured by the giants, and Hermes had to get him out, if I remember the myth correctly,  

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:35 pm
Mnemosyne Moneta
Javier Cross

Actually, once upon a time, the Aloadai Giants came up to Olympus, in hopes of getting Artemis and Hera as their brides, and taking over Olympus. Ares was captured by the giants, and Hermes had to get him out, if I remember the myth correctly,

Yes. And there was the Gigantomakhia.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:59 pm
Akherontis
Mnemosyne Moneta
Javier Cross

How did the Aloadai Giants managed to catch him off guard, like that, again?
Tell me that Ares was able to make the giants bleed before they finally caught him and Hermes had to rescue him. neutral

Did Hercules also fight in the Gigantomakhia, too?[Was it called the war of the Giants, in english?]

[In another note, no wonder why Ares didn't trust Hercules, its because Hercules placed Ares' half-mortal children in harm's way, didn't he? :sweats: ]  

Javier Cross

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:37 am
Javier Cross
Akherontis
Mnemosyne Moneta
Javier Cross

Tell me that Ares was able to make the giants bleed before they finally caught him and Hermes had to rescue him. neutral

Did Hercules also fight in the Gigantomakhia, too?[Was it called the war of the Giants, in english?]

[In another note, no wonder why Ares didn't trust Hercules, its because Hercules placed Ares' half-mortal children in harm's way, didn't he? :sweats: ]

Actually, Artemis killed the Aloadai Giants, so no, he couldn't. he was fighting them, and then they placed him inside a jar.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:29 pm
Mnemosyne Moneta
Javier Cross
Akherontis
Mnemosyne Moneta
Javier Cross

Actually, Artemis killed the Aloadai Giants, so no, he couldn't. he was fighting them, and then they placed him inside a jar.

Artemis had the power to kill many of those giants, and yet she didn't have enough power to make an overall difference in the Trojan War, at the time. emo
What gives on Artemis not being able to do much in the time of the Trojan War? gonk

Although Artemis is cool, though. ^_^

How huge was the jar which Ares got trapped in, dare i ask?  

Javier Cross

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:30 pm
Wouldn't Prince Triton share a sphere of influence with Phobos and Deimos(His 2nd cousins from Ares' side!) since Triton's a god of fear?

Its something i found out, actually.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:32 pm
I don't really care for Ares much for the reason that he is ALWAYS characterized as a sore-loser, a pompous jerk, and a blood-thirsty coward. In nearly every myth he is in he is the a*****e. He's not really given much depth at all in his myths and he is just an antagonist.

I can't honestly see anything to LIKE about him really. I don't care for some gods but I can at least appreciate them for the good they do, like Athena. I don't like how she treats humans who ruffle her feathers but she is the goddess of wisdom which makes it better. Ares doesn't have much to redeem him.

Anyway if you ask me, Zeus gets all the hate in this guild. Honestly, I like him for his bravery, fun myths, and leadership. But in most threads his good qualities go out the window because he has lots of affairs. Yeah, I get it but to me it is justified. His union with Hera produced Ares, his union with the other women gave us Artemis, Persephone, Athena, Apollo, Hermes, etc.  

Herry Rockabore

Shadowy Explorer

11,700 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Hermes the Herald
Crew

2,450 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Trader 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:24 pm
Are we dissecting Ares's character behind his back?! Sweet, I want in!!! biggrin

I'm doing this TV tropes and Idioms style! pirate

* Rated M for Manly or Testosterone Poisoning depending on your point tof view.

* Hot Blooded

* Large Ham (he has his moments.)

* Ludicrous Gibs

* Gorn

* The Berseker

* Estrogen Brigade Bait

*All Girls Want Bad Boys

* Even The Guys want him When he's taken the form of a female belly dancer, that is.

* Crazy Awesome However, Your Mileage May Vary on that.

* Either the The Brute or the The Big Guy depending on your point of view.

* Jerkass Gods Aren't we all? wink

* Papa Wolf I wouldn't reccomend attempting to rape any of his children. It never ends well.

* Minor Injury Overeaction

* Adaptation Decay His Roman equivalent Mars. Though some would say it's Character Development. Others say the contrary, and call Character Derailment. Your Mileage May Vary, yet again.

* Rule Thirty Four Mostly with Aphrodite, but there is some weird stuff floating around FF.net.

* Bowdlerization

* Fearless Fool

* Leeroy Jenkins

* NO INDOOR VOICE Again, he has his moments.

* The Worf Effect

* Draco In Leather Pants It's happened to everybody.

* Germans Love David Hasselhoff Though really, it's the Romans Love Ares Mars.

*Abusive Parents Would leaving him to rot in a jar for more than a year count...?

* Team Rocket Wins It's happened.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:25 pm
"Something simple can change your day,
Something simple can change your way.
It's in your heart, not you're mind."

User Image

I don't hate Ares. I don't even Dislike him. I think that, maybe, the reason why some people don't like him is because of the fact that he is a war God. Some people are just against War. And they see him as the... what should I call it? Well...he's the God that represents it.

User Image

"It's something good inside you'll find.
Don't forget who you are.
Don't forget you're a shining star."

Zathura Raine

Friendly Explorer

12,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Explorer 100

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:43 pm
Zathura Raine
"Something simple can change your day,
Something simple can change your way.
It's in your heart, not you're mind."

User Image

I don't hate Ares. I don't even Dislike him. I think that, maybe, the reason why some people don't like him is because of the fact that he is a war God. Some people are just against War. And they see him as the... what should I call it? Well...he's the God that represents it.

User Image

"It's something good inside you'll find.
Don't forget who you are.
Don't forget you're a shining star."

Isn't he mostly guilty of making war worse(Whether he realizes it or not?) though?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:01 pm
purplejuiceinyellowcup
.... DOES EVERYONE HATE ARES?

On Olympus he can be a sore looser and a bit narcissistic, but why do mortals these days hate him? I'm in some godly roleplays, and each time all the gods hate the god of bloodshed war. I find that Athena and some mortals should really be the ones that hate Ares..

So why does everyone hate him?

People hate Ares because he is the god of war and bloodlust. The ancient Greeks really weren't that fond of him. I also remember reading in my Classical Mythology textbook that Zeus said that Ares was"the most hated of the gods." I think it all comes down to the fact that people don't like a god that represents mindless, brutal killing on the battlefield.  

HorsesOfTheNight

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:12 pm
HorsesOfTheNight
purplejuiceinyellowcup
.... DOES EVERYONE HATE ARES?

On Olympus he can be a sore looser and a bit narcissistic, but why do mortals these days hate him? I'm in some godly roleplays, and each time all the gods hate the god of bloodshed war. I find that Athena and some mortals should really be the ones that hate Ares..

So why does everyone hate him?

People hate Ares because he is the god of war and bloodlust. The ancient Greeks really weren't that fond of him. I also remember reading in my Classical Mythology textbook that Zeus said that Ares was"the most hated of the gods." I think it all comes down to the fact that people don't like a god that represents mindless, brutal killing on the battlefield.

But didn't his main crowning moment of awesome lie within killing the rapist who raped one of his daughters?
The Greeks in general should have been more strict on trying to prevent rapes, if you ask me(this is coming from a guy who'd understand and would not be blaming anyone for taking Poseidon over Ares or Zeus, although i'd still attempt to keep an eye on Poseidon, if i could!) so technically it was one of those very few times when Ares was in the right.
Thank you, Hermes, for adding him on the list of Papa Wolf.  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff