Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Why in the World.... Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:29 pm
.... DOES EVERYONE HATE ARES?

On Olympus he can be a sore looser and a bit narcissistic, but why do mortals these days hate him? I'm in some godly roleplays, and each time all the gods hate the god of bloodshed war. I find that Athena and some mortals should really be the ones that hate Ares..

So why does everyone hate him?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:04 pm
I don't hate him! I like him a lot. I think he's amusing. I don't like APOLLO.

Peleandra

Dionysus or Bacchus

5,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:56 pm
Pfff . . . only Apollo likes Apollo.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:04 pm
Ex) Cassandra

Doesn't Artemis like Apollo a bit?  

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Peleandra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:08 pm
I would assume that Artemis likes Apollo, but since I don't know her I couldn't say for sure. She's kind of a b***h, too, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:10 pm
The apple doesn't fall to far from the tree. Cough, Zeus, Cough.

But back to the topic, why is the most hated Olympian, anyways?

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

charaxxfallen

1,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:21 pm
...because of all the blood? And he probably thinks he is better than the rest of them : narrowly avoids being hit with a spear : Or just talks about war alot!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:21 pm
I think it's because he's the god of WAR. As in, violent, blood-shedding, depressing things. I mean, America is currently in a war, most people don't like it... Well, most people don't like wars at all. But maybe Ares' personality comes across as too stuck-up, or because people seem to think that all the gods hate him and therefore hate him too. I don't know. But if those are the reasons for disliking him, then why do people really like Hades and Thanatos and Eris, but not Ares? If anything, Ares should be a favorite of videogame-loving teenage boys.

Peleandra

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:24 pm
Well, Hades rules over the dead. Which isn't creepy at all for our gothic modern world.

But Athena is also the goddess of war, too. She cursed Medusa into the beast, and cursed Arachne.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:29 pm
Yup, and Athena is also really mean now and then. But people like her, too. Thanatos is the god of death, and so Goths and metal bands love him. Hekate, witchcraft, also popular... And Eris, discord... And Nemesis, revenge...

I dunno, there are so many favorite gods that are as bad as Ares,
if not worse, so I can't imagine why he is disliked. I think he's pretty cool, myself.

Peleandra

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:24 pm
Well, a couple of large misassumptions here. Ares isn't the god of war. Athena is the goddess of war. Ares is specifically the god of bloodlust, barbarism, carnage and the ravages of war, and his sister Enyo is the goddess of the horrors of war. The Greeks themselves hated Ares, as did most of the Greek gods, because he was a murderous, cowardly monster. Contrary to popular belief, the Spartans didn't worship Ares, they despised him too, because their sophisticated military tactics reflected the influence of Athena, whereas Ares preferred barbaric combat. And Zeus admitted in the Iliad that if Ares wasn't his own son, he would have done away with Ares himself, long ago.

Ares' saving grace were the Romans, who identified him with their own war deity Mars, and thus completely changed his role and personality. Note that Mars isn't Ares under a different name, as most of the influences for Mars comes from the Romans' much closer neighbours, the Etruscans, and not the Greeks.

But I like Ares as a character specifically BECAUSE he is such a flawed deity. It makes for interesting conflict among the gods.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:43 pm
Thanks for clearing things up, Akh.(Not gonna type up your whole username))

I do like Ares, too, cause his myths are interesting

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:52 pm
I love the fact that Sparta had a statue of Ares in chains just east of the city, signifying that they wanted the spirit of manliness, courage and war to reside within the Lakedaimonians, but that they didn't trust him either and kept him at arm's length. They did propitate him before battle, but only as a necessity.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:47 pm
I thought Ares was said to be a God of Courage[whose particular sphere overlaps with either Athena or Hercules, though!] as well as slaughter.

If Ares was supposed to be driven off by gifted mortal fighters, soldiers, and warriors, then wouldn't it be a given for him to make them work for it?

Why do i generally suspected that he might not be a coward after all, if he killed a child of Poseidon who was a rapist who tried to rape his daughter, a demi-goddess of war?  

Javier Cross

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:51 pm
Javier Cross
I thought Ares was said to be a God of Courage[whose particular sphere overlaps with either Athena or Hercules, though!] as well as slaughter.

If Ares was supposed to be driven off by gifted mortal fighters, soldiers, and warriors, then wouldn't it be a given for him to make them work for it?

Why do i generally suspected that he might not be a coward after all, if he killed a child of Poseidon who was a rapist who tried to rape his daughter, a demi-goddess of war?

He was...capricious, one might say. On one hand, he was indeed the god of courage, manliness, machismo and reckless audacity. But he was also the god of cowardliness, retreat, and war crimes, especially noticeable by the fact that his sister-consort is Horror and his sons are Terror and Dread.  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff