Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Sewing question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:40 pm
I'm pretty sure we have seamstresses in this guild. Well, here's the problem, this is my first time sewing a shirt and I don't know how to hem the neckline! I know I'm supposed to clip the curves, but then what do I do after that?  
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:35 pm
I think you just top stitch... I dunno, I haven't really done any necklines.. D:  

Blood-Spattered-Sundress

7,650 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Gaian 0

SilverPeacock

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:45 pm
it depends on the fabric and the pattern. Most of the time you are going to want to face it. pattern a piece of fabric that is basically the neck hole plus about 2 in. Visualize a wholenother shirt and then take out 2 inches all the way around the neck line. This piece removed is then sewn to the right side of the neck and turned in.  
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:48 pm
thanks <3  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:56 am
You can topstitch the facing after turning it if you're worried, but a facing of proper width is usually fine after a good pressing. The only problems I've had have been with peasant-style blouses I've bought that have a keyhole under the tie. There's just a 1/4" piece of facing in there, and it constantly flips itself to the outside, which is very annoying. They're topstitched, but not far enough away from the edge to do any good.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:35 pm
if you are getting a bad case of the flips a bit of two sided fusible interfacing will do the trick or if its a period piece try a bit of embroidery.  

SilverPeacock

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff