Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Things they tell you at University! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

would you take classics at university?
  yes! its my dream come true!!!
  maybe as an interst paper...
  nope... university is still a place of learning (aka school)
View Results

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:42 pm
~ContessaLeandra~
Lol, I'm such a lurker! Time to post, Leandra. I talked to him a couple of days ago, actually, so I should be good for another week. I was actually wondering when he'd give in to the urge to post. Mythology Man never misses an opportunity to show his mythological know-how.

I think that there a lot of hits and misses in modern interpretations of mythology. We have some sources, but we don't have all the sources we wish we'd have. And depending on what professor you get, it's likely that you will hear their opinion whether or not they intend to express it. In my Islam class last semester, as well as my Linguistics class, that much was apparent to me. You can go with a more common version of a story, or seek out the more obscure variations... Or even try to reconcile both. I know I'm having issues with some areas of Mesoamerican mythology. The biggie, at the moment, is reconciling Hutzilopochtli's position as the sun god with the simultaneous assertion that Tonatiuh is the sun god. They do not appear to be the same person, and yet, Aztec mythology maintains both of them.

lol wasnt there like, five suns?  
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:52 am
history goddess
~ContessaLeandra~
Lol, I'm such a lurker! Time to post, Leandra. I talked to him a couple of days ago, actually, so I should be good for another week. I was actually wondering when he'd give in to the urge to post. Mythology Man never misses an opportunity to show his mythological know-how.

I think that there a lot of hits and misses in modern interpretations of mythology. We have some sources, but we don't have all the sources we wish we'd have. And depending on what professor you get, it's likely that you will hear their opinion whether or not they intend to express it. In my Islam class last semester, as well as my Linguistics class, that much was apparent to me. You can go with a more common version of a story, or seek out the more obscure variations... Or even try to reconcile both. I know I'm having issues with some areas of Mesoamerican mythology. The biggie, at the moment, is reconciling Hutzilopochtli's position as the sun god with the simultaneous assertion that Tonatiuh is the sun god. They do not appear to be the same person, and yet, Aztec mythology maintains both of them.

Yes, but that was over different eras. And the four eras before the current were all complete failures. The current era, the Sun of Movement, belongs to Tonatiuh, and simultaneously Hutzilopochtli for some unknown reason.

Peleandra

Dionysus or Bacchus

5,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:04 am
~ContessaLeandra~
history goddess
~ContessaLeandra~

Yes, but that was over different eras. And the four eras before the current were all complete failures. The current era, the Sun of Movement, belongs to Tonatiuh, and simultaneously Hutzilopochtli for some unknown reason.

Any chance of schizophrenia being involved?  
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:23 pm
Dionysus or Bacchus
~ContessaLeandra~
history goddess
~ContessaLeandra~

Hahaha! Mmm, I dunno. XD The only thing I can think of is that Tonatiuh is a Toltec deity of the area and Huitzilopochtli came with the immigration of the Aztecs down to Mexico. Of course, why is he simultaneously the sun rather than overthrowing Tonatiuh or...? It's confusing. I need an expert to e-mail.

Peleandra

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:23 pm
~ContessaLeandra~
Dionysus or Bacchus
~ContessaLeandra~
history goddess
~ContessaLeandra~

Hahaha! Mmm, I dunno. XD The only thing I can think of is that Tonatiuh is a Toltec deity of the area and Huitzilopochtli came with the immigration of the Aztecs down to Mexico. Of course, why is he simultaneously the sun rather than overthrowing Tonatiuh or...? It's confusing. I need an expert to e-mail.

...because its good to share...? or what if one is the sun say during winter months and the other during summer, like ones hotter than the other?  
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:25 pm
There's no evidence to suggest that. The only thing they say is that Tonatiuh is the sun until noon, and then he turns into Huitzilopochtli. When Huitzilopochtli sets, he turns into the Jaguar in the Heart of the Mountain. But the question is why?! HOW?!! gonk  

Peleandra

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:42 pm
~ContessaLeandra~
There's no evidence to suggest that. The only thing they say is that Tonatiuh is the sun until noon, and then he turns into Huitzilopochtli. When Huitzilopochtli sets, he turns into the Jaguar in the Heart of the Mountain. But the question is why?! HOW?!! gonk

He's a god? is anything they do supposed to make sense to mere mortals...? lol! rofl and dont forget the mystical magical s**t! thats how the gods do half the stuff they do. lol i reckon the why is to screw with humans so we never know if we're parying to the right god. lol rofl  
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:35 pm
True. That makes sense from a mythological "if I were the god" perspective. XD But from an academic/if-I-were-writing-an-essay standpoint, I need something more than that. It's the theogony, I needs to knoes why!

Peleandra

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:52 pm
lol. hmm...tricky... let me think about this...  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:56 pm
Lovely Aphrodite Babe
Aphrodite, goddess of love, desire and anything sexual or pleasures I should say. Legend says she came out of a conch shell naked. She is very beautiful and deceitful too.

It was a scallop shell... thats why scallops are rumored aphrodisiacs... wink  

Lenimph

AphroditeTheLoveGoddess

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:52 pm
Aphrodite Philopannyx
Lovely Aphrodite Babe
Aphrodite, goddess of love, desire and anything sexual or pleasures I should say. Legend says she came out of a conch shell naked. She is very beautiful and deceitful too.

Yes, you are correct, dear, but not every person thinks of Aphrodite to be born out of a shell. Some think that she was born to Zeus and the Titaness Dione. I know it's not true, sweetie, but every person deserves to be acknowledged. If you're the goddess of love, you have to know that.  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:08 pm
Look, History. The tektek I made you lol XD
User Image

tack on the picture!!  

MythicalRealism

Romantic Friend

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:08 pm
quote="Psy Angelos"]Look, History. The tektek I made you lol XD
User Image

tack on the picture!!

Sweet! found it! xd lol!
Your awesome at tek teks psy! xd
User Image[  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:13 pm
lol thank you =]
I tried to match it as close as I could. I think I should have used different wings  

MythicalRealism

Romantic Friend

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:13 pm
AphroditeTheLoveGoddess
Aphrodite Philopannyx
Lovely Aphrodite Babe

Yes, you are correct, dear, but not every person thinks of Aphrodite to be born out of a shell. Some think that she was born to Zeus and the Titaness Dione. I know it's not true, sweetie, but every person deserves to be acknowledged. If you're the goddess of love, you have to know that.

It really depends on if you follow Hesiod or Homer... Homer gave us the Dione myth, but very little is actually known about her, while Hesiod gave us the lovely and very vivid image of castration... but hesiod may have just been using that as a word play on Aphrodites name...  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff