Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Cool parents, man! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Storm17

Tipsy Hoarder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:11 am
My mom is interested, she always wants to see my pictures.
Though both of my parents are a bit finicky on the crossplaying bit and the money bit too. My father makes fun of me but gets interested when it comes to props.
Luckily I started going to cons when I was 16, and now I am 18 so, I basically don't have to fight with them at all. Just as long as I can guarantee I have rides.

No of my parents have been to cons but I think I'd take my mother 1st!  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:46 pm
My stepdad took me to a Con last year ^^He's more into videogames, but he likes DBz and Naruto
My real dad is even more into anime. He actually showed me my first real anime, Vampire Princess Miyu
Even my mom likes Pokemon, and is helping me with my Pikachu cosplay. I cosplayed Haruhi Suzumiya last year, and she didnt really get it, but I think she's starting to accept that her daughter is a super-mega nerd mrgreen  

Xxlost_in_midnightxX

Anxious Werewolf

8,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Survivor 150

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:30 am
Argh~
My mum...
She likes the idea of me making costumes. But only to sell them. She thinks I should make them and sell them online. But I love wearing them.
My grandmother was fully supportive. Rest her soul.
My grandmother would buy cheap material from goodwill and yard sells to help be out, including stuff I could use for props. My mum would give me a few dollars to go towards the costume too.

Even now, she's giving us a $5 gift card to walmart that she got for free so that I can buy some flip flops to make a few pairs of shoes.

I have a very funny, embarrassing for me, story concerning my mum and her first, and last, time bringing me to a convention.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:08 pm
My dad knows NOTHING about anime and he doesn't know that I go to cons. He doesn't even know I cosplay. Maybe I'll tell him someday lol. Anyway, I got my mom into anime a looong time ago. She likes Inuyasha, Tenchi Muyo, and DBZ. I even got her a SSJ Goku figurine and t-shirt. She TOTALLY supports me going to cons since that's the only time I'm out of the house. She doesn't care that I cosplay. She gets excited when I tell her which characters I have in mind for upcoming conventions. :3 She's cool  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

La Ahna

6,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:31 am
Both my parents are really supportive, thank goodness. My dad took me to my first con just as a chaperon, but he's found he enjoys watching the cosplayers and just the weird people at cons (admit it, we're weird). So he and I go to cons together. We're gonna drive from GA to Iowa this summer to see family and go to Anime Iowa. =D Did the same thing last year, but with Otaku Omaha. He enjoys seeing the people, and I keep trying to get him to cosplay, but he doesn't really want to go that far.

My mom LOVES cosplay. She went through graduate school for textiles, so she knows a lot about sewing and loves the fact I'm so interested in it. She enjoys helping me when I come across sewing things I don't know, and she even more so enjoys seeing other cosplayers. It's great to be surfing the web, find an amazing cosplayer, and show it to her. She never knows who they're supposed to be, but she loves looking at the details and pondering how they made the costume.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:48 am
Actually, I've never been to a convention. My first one will be this May.
Why? Because my parents are not cool.

My dad could care less about what my hobbies are, occasionally he'll purposely pronounce a character's name wrong to mock me, but otherwise he stays away from it all.
My mom doesn't think too highly of my cosplays either. Infact, she refuses to call them cosplays, she calls them "anime costumes", even when I was Pandora from Guitar Hero...

But at least they're letting me go to conventions now. C:  

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

amanogawatea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:28 pm
My parents are very supportive, but they don't know much about anime.
My Mom loves Pokemon though! And my Dad knows a bit about Naruto because I was such a Narutard once....He also wants to cosplay as Darth Vader.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:46 pm
My mom's pretty mutal on the subject. She doesn't know anything past Pokemon that is anime, but when I've shown her some photos of cosplayers I've taken, she'd sometimes say "Ooh, this one looks cool. What is it?" She seems to be really fond of the Lolita and visual kei styles, though. xD

My dad's really into the whole anime/convention scene. He almost always buys swords/rings/posters when we go to conventions(yey, free chauffeur!). Whenever I go to panels, he's my substitute picture taker. ^^  

Sepia Sunrise

Wily Flatterer

ssumeragi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:53 am
My mom is very supporting, and she helped a lot with my costumes before I became a dressmaking student. xD
She always likes to know what we're making next, and so on. :3 She's genuinely interested in cosplay, which I find pretty awesome. She has even expressed interest in cosplaying some time! haha.

My dad has nothing against me cosplaying, but he keeps complaining about how much money I spend on it. Wigs in particular seem to annoy him. o_Ô I don't see why, as it's my own money I'm using, and not his. XD  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff