Burton's Alice in Wonderland Review

I really like this film.

Story

Its a sequel to the original stories, not a remake. This I must point out first. The story is nice but isn't anything amazing, and I found it moved far too quickly at the beginning of the movie. But as it got further into it I began to enjoy it more.
It had some nice moments, but I feel they could of added more to it too. I like the fact they quoted the original books quite a few times. I also think the final showdown with the Jabberwocky came too quickly, however I was impressed with the Jabberwocky's entrance, infact I can't wait to see that part in 3D. I thought the movie ended nicely but its almost like they rushed it a bit with her exiting Wonderland.
There seemed to be a slight love interest thing going on between the Hatter and Alice, but its nothing to get annoyed with, trust me.
Overall though I did like the story.

Characters

Actually I like all the characters I think. In my opinion the ones that were very well done were the Cheshire Cat, the Hare and of course the Caterpillar. There wasn't much interaction between the supporting characters themselves though, they could of done a lot more to enhance the movie, because they really were awesome. I also didn't mind Depp as the Hatter either.
The Jabberwocky only got about two lines, but wow did he steal that scene! I was also oddly happy when they had a JubJub bird in the movie.
I just have to mention the Caterpillar, he was great even though he only got three scenes. I must say I adore him.

Visuals

I was quite happy with them, though for some reason I thought they should of made it a bit creepier. I love the Rabbit Hole scene, the movie had been quite calm until then and it just throws you into a thrill ride.
Once she got into Wonderland, I have to say I liked the mushroom forest (not just because I love the Caterpillar), the blue haze and smoke from the Caterpillar's hookah really was effective. I also like the creepy forest in which she meets the Cheshire Cat. And the castles of Wonderland are rather impressive.
That being said I would of liked there to of been more areas of Wonderland shown, however overall I was happy.

Score

I like the score to the movie, but I feel like it was pushed into the background too much. My favourite track on the soundtrack (track one, Alice's Theme) I don't think was ever played in full throughout the movie. I suggest you go listen to it because its wonderful.
Danny Elfman is amazing.

Overall

Hmmm, I enjoyed the movie quite a lot. I believe I will enjoy it even more in 3D. Yes they could of done more with it but its quite a fun movie. I do suggest you watch it at least once, and remember don't take it as a remake of any other AiW because it isn't.

Yep, I did like the movie in other words.

And not just because of Absolem the Caterpillar either. XD