Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Apollon and Artemis - Sun and Moon? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mizz Faith

Revered Conversationalist

8,200 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:05 pm
Agreed. I would like to read that as well.

I too own Edith Hamilton's Mythology but never once did I notice that. Guess I need to re-read it (its been a few years).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:47 pm
Mizz Faith
Agreed. I would like to read that as well.

I too own Edith Hamilton's Mythology but never once did I notice that. Guess I need to re-read it (its been a few years).
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I haven't even read the whole thing. :p Honestly, I just used it for school and read the interesting parts.

Advanced Placement English doesn't allow a lot of time for free reading.

Goddess of The Century

Queen-of-the-Rogue

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:22 pm
Goddess of The Century
Queen-of-the-Rogue
Yeah. The book I have is actually very interesting as well. Artemis Book

Wow. That book looks really interesting. I wonder if I could get my hands on a copy.

It is really interesting and I enjoyed reading it a lot. I think it all depends on where you live. My dad got me the book from Amazon as a gift for passing my sophomore year of highschool.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:44 pm
Goddess of The Century

I haven't even read the whole thing. :p Honestly, I just used it for school and read the interesting parts.

lol. I hear ya. I never took AP English, just CP (I give you props for attending that class though - I heard horror stories from my friends). I still managed to get the honors diploma (the highest diploma we have in my town) so I never took any AP classes (they wouldn't have helped me in college because of the one I was going to attend). I bought the book when I was home schooled (14) and read it then. Then I went back to regular school to finish out and just never got around to going back over it.

Mizz Faith

Revered Conversationalist

8,200 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200

Goddess of The Century

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:04 pm
Mizz Faith
Goddess of The Century

lol. I hear ya. I never took AP English, just CP (I give you props for attending that class though - I heard horror stories from my friends). I still managed to get the honors diploma (the highest diploma we have in my town) so I never took any AP classes (they wouldn't have helped me in college because of the one I was going to attend). I bought the book when I was home schooled (14) and read it then. Then I went back to regular school to finish out and just never got around to going back over it.

AP English isn't so much horror as it is being able to over think something until your head explodes.
I think the only thing I really like is studying archetypes. emo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:48 am
Apollo is the godess that holds the sun  

WayWard Ventus

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Full closet 200

charaxxfallen

1,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:37 pm
borndeadeyes cosplayer

Apollo is a GUY!!! As in GOD. eek  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:36 pm
charaxxfallen
borndeadeyes cosplayer

Apollo is a GUY!!! As in GOD. eek

I was about to say the same thing. That's just scary that someone thinks Apollo is a girl.  

Queen-of-the-Rogue

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50

eXteN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:04 pm
Bravo Αχέρωντα for this thread.
We should protect mythology from modern mistakes if we want historic truth!  
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:03 pm
Heh, I am enlightened.  

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

Dark-Hunteress Sage

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:08 pm
WayWard Ventus

ROLF!! Oh gods. You my friend have just made my top favrite persons list.  
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:10 pm
Qyp
Heh, I am enlightened.

That's what the guild is here for. It saddens me sometimes when Apollon and Artemis get all the credit, while Helios and Selene are marginalized. The Archaic Greeks were entirely consistent in their belief that Helios drew the sun through the sky and Selene the moon. Even the later Hellenistic Greeks still attributed those functions to Helios and Selene, although by then Apollon and Artemis had acquired certain minor solar/lunar associations. The Romans still considered Sol and Luna to the the primary gods of the celestial lights, although some of Selene's myth was transferred to Diana rather than Luna.  

Akherontis
Captain

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:28 pm
Akherontis
Qyp
Heh, I am enlightened.

That's what the guild is here for. It saddens me sometimes when Apollon and Artemis get all the credit, while Helios and Selene are marginalized. The Archaic Greeks were entirely consistent in their belief that Helios drew the sun through the sky and Selene the moon. Even the later Hellenistic Greeks still attributed those functions to Helios and Selene, although by then Apollon and Artemis had acquired certain minor solar/lunar associations. The Romans still considered Sol and Luna to the the primary gods of the celestial lights, although some of Selene's myth was transferred to Diana rather than Luna.

Jupiter, Juno and Minerva? Now they are just a fusion of the old Tinia, Uni and Merva of the Etruscan mythology from Italy, and the Greek Mythology stories during Roman Empire times, I presume.

Stories and names get mixed up so easily when there is similarities in the characters of those stories...  
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:37 pm
Qyp
Akherontis
Qyp
Heh, I am enlightened.

Jupiter, Juno and Minerva? Now they are just a fusion of the old Tinia, Uni and Merva of the Etruscan mythology from Italy, and the Greek Mythology stories during Roman Empire times, I presume.

Stories and names get mixed up so easily when there is similarities in the characters of those stories...

In a sense, you are correct. But Jupiter ultimately derives from the proto-Indo-European Dyeus Pater. The same can be said for Zeus (whose genitive is Dios), and the Vedic deity Dyaus Pitar, and the Etruscan Tinia. You are definitely accurate in stating that the Romans did not just adopt and mutate the Greek Gods. The Etruscans were also great influences, as were Persian deities like Mithras. One must also account for the Di Indigetes of the Italians themselves. Janus is a very interesting case. He may be a szygy of Apollo and Diana (via the spelling Iana).  

Akherontis
Captain

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:42 pm
Akherontis
Qyp
Akherontis
Qyp
Heh, I am enlightened.

In a sense, you are correct. But Jupiter ultimately derives from the proto-Indo-European Dyeus Pater. The same can be said for Zeus (whose genitive is Dios), and the Vedic deity Dyaus Pitar, and the Etruscan Tinia. You are definitely accurate in stating that the Romans did not just adopt and mutate the Greek Gods. The Etruscans were also great influences, as were Persian deities like Mithras. One must also account for the Di Indigetes of the Italians themselves. Janus is a very interesting case. He may be a szygy of Apollo and Diana (via the spelling Iana).

The world is made from Chinese whispers...  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff