Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Don't you hate... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tsuki Nushi

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:05 am
[sarcastic innocence]
Trinity Blood has a veeeerrrryy high standard, it seems. I'm actually not surprised that the cosplayer refused to have his photos taken until his gloves were put on because to people who just see the image and don't know what went on when the photo was taken would think that his cosplay was incomplete.

As for people refusing their images on the internet (semi-work related):
By the way, you do know that a lot of people post images on facebook and link them to your account, right? Employers know that people use facebook nowadays and WILL look at your account to see what you've been doing. I've heard of people not getting hired because an image of them while they were either high or drunk was posted on their facebook account and was found by their potential employer.

Now imagine what would happen if your potential employer found an image of you dressed as a risque character while they were doing a background check on you.

Well he didn't let her take the pic at all. But then again if I'm asking for a pic that means I like you costume. It's a complement; it's the equivalent of saying "you're so awesome I want to share your awesomeness with my friends". You shouldn't get all snooty when you get a compliment.

That's like me baking cookies and when my friends tell me they like them I scream at them for not noticing that I put in less chocolate chips than the recipe called for. They like what I did, so who cares if it's not exact.

And about the whole facebook thing, people turn you down for stupider reasons. Having a profile pic they don't like, playing Farmville too much liking something they don't; the list goes on.

And really, if someone's going to turn you down because you dressed as a lolita, then you probably wouldn't want to work for them anyways. Would you want to work for someone who sat there and made fun of you for cosplaying? I wouldn't.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:36 am
Musical Panda
Tsuki Nushi
I dislike the people who just deny having their pics taken out of snobbery or because their costume "isn't perfect". It's just rude. Some dude in a Trinty Blood outfit wouldn't let my friend take his pic because his gloves where off. wth?

I don't understand the people who say no because they don't want them on the internet. I mean what's the worst that could happen? Some douche criticizing you? It's not like they're going to hunt you down. How could they; they don't even know what you look like out of costume.

Other than the person being in a hurry, the only real reason for turning down a pic in my opinion is when they're being hounded. Like this guy at the con I work at. He was a flawless Master Chief, and he danced in costume. But because of that, people wouldn't leave the poor guy alone! Every 10 minutes he had to stop and pose for people, and it's hot in that suit. I felt so sorry for him.
And every time you ask him for another vanishing act,
he half smiles as if to say...

What right do you have to take someone's picture? You need to respect the wishes of other people, instead of acting a bit stuck up yourself. Some people don't want to be criticized on the internet, so what's wrong with that? There's something called a reputation that some people can have, and a picture they're not ready for in which they might look like crap or aren't prepared might affect that.

It's not that hard to identify people in cosplay, even if they look a bit different. Your basic facial features stay the same, plus people could identify the event or people around you and figure out who you are based on that.

Honestly, that's rude of you to want people to let you take their picture under most circumstances. Someone could be tired or having a bad day. You don't know. Cosplay is about having fun, and if that fun doesn't include pictures then who are you to try and force that on them?

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,
whatever you want is fine by me."

It's a compliment. If I want to take your pic, it means I like what you did and want to show my friends how awesome you are.

And so what if people criticize you? What do you care what total strangers think? What's important is what you think. And one bad pic will only ruin your reputation if you let it. If you just write it off as bad day and ignore it, then no one else will care either. Well no one but snobs, trolls, and people who already hate you, but again who cares what they think?

Even if they figure out who you are, what the big deal? It's not like they're gonna hunt you down and stalk you. The worst I've heard about someone figuring out who a cosplayer is was that some douche kept asking them out via Myspace. And it was solved by blocking that person.

Seriously dude, you act like I told people to ambush cosplayers and demand pics. Of course you should always ask permission and respect them if they don't want their pic taken. But as a cosplayer you should recognize that people will want to take your pic, and if you really don't like that you either don't cosplay, or you deal with people asking for pics.

I cosplay for fun too and people asking for my pic doesn't bother me at all. In fact it's quite flattering.

Tsuki Nushi

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200

Tsuki Nushi

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:42 am
K master of flames
Tsuki Nushi
I dislike the people who just deny having their pics taken out of snobbery or because their costume "isn't perfect". It's just rude. Some dude in a Trinty Blood outfit wouldn't let my friend take his pic because his gloves where off. wth?

I don't understand the people who say no because they don't want them on the internet. I mean what's the worst that could happen? Some douche criticizing you? It's not like they're going to hunt you down. How could they; they don't even know what you look like out of costume.

Other than the person being in a hurry, the only real reason for turning down a pic in my opinion is when they're being hounded. Like this guy at the con I work at. He was a flawless Master Chief, and he danced in costume. But because of that, people wouldn't leave the poor guy alone! Every 10 minutes he had to stop and pose for people, and it's hot in that suit. I felt so sorry for him.
Well I hope u dont hate me, because I have rejected pics because my cosplay was not complete. It wasnt something small like missing gloves and stuff. I was missing the4 pants, boots, and hair the time I rejected them. But the times my pics were taken I had the hair, still no boots. I still dont have them and its been almost 6 months.

Well no offense hun, but if you really care that it's complete, then why wear it if it's not? It seems kind of counter-productive.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:31 pm
Tsuki Nushi

agreed  

Doom27

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:15 pm
Tsuki Nushi
K master of flames
Tsuki Nushi

Well I hope u dont hate me, because I have rejected pics because my cosplay was not complete. It wasnt something small like missing gloves and stuff. I was missing the4 pants, boots, and hair the time I rejected them. But the times my pics were taken I had the hair, still no boots. I still dont have them and its been almost 6 months.

Well no offense hun, but if you really care that it's complete, then why wear it if it's not? It seems kind of counter-productive.
Not really sure, I guess its because my sweater was dirty, and my cosplay was basically a coat. LOL yes I know I'm weird. But this coming Ax I will have full complete cosplay. Which I would be more than happy 2 let ppl take pictures if they want.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:44 pm
Tsuki Nushi
Musical Panda
Tsuki Nushi

What right do you have to take someone's picture? You need to respect the wishes of other people, instead of acting a bit stuck up yourself. Some people don't want to be criticized on the internet, so what's wrong with that? There's something called a reputation that some people can have, and a picture they're not ready for in which they might look like crap or aren't prepared might affect that.

It's not that hard to identify people in cosplay, even if they look a bit different. Your basic facial features stay the same, plus people could identify the event or people around you and figure out who you are based on that.

Honestly, that's rude of you to want people to let you take their picture under most circumstances. Someone could be tired or having a bad day. You don't know. Cosplay is about having fun, and if that fun doesn't include pictures then who are you to try and force that on them?

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,

It's a compliment. If I want to take your pic, it means I like what you did and want to show my friends how awesome you are.

And so what if people criticize you? What do you care what total strangers think? What's important is what you think. And one bad pic will only ruin your reputation if you let it. If you just write it off as bad day and ignore it, then no one else will care either. Well no one but snobs, trolls, and people who already hate you, but again who cares what they think?

Even if they figure out who you are, what the big deal? It's not like they're gonna hunt you down and stalk you. The worst I've heard about someone figuring out who a cosplayer is was that some douche kept asking them out via Myspace. And it was solved by blocking that person.

Seriously dude, you act like I told people to ambush cosplayers and demand pics. Of course you should always ask permission and respect them if they don't want their pic taken. But as a cosplayer you should recognize that people will want to take your pic, and if you really don't like that you either don't cosplay, or you deal with people asking for pics.

I cosplay for fun too and people asking for my pic doesn't bother me at all. In fact it's quite flattering.

If you think that asking for a picture is the only way to compliment someone, then you're definitely wrong. If you want to tell someone their cosplay looks very nice, you can do that. So what if they don't want their picture taken on top of it? I'm not saying people are allowed to be rude about it, but a simple "Thank you for asking, but I'd rather not have my picture taken at this point in time." should suffice.

And what if I don't want people judging me based on a bad day, or an off picture? That's my right. You say ignore the people and they suck anyway, well that's your way of handling things. I'd rather something like that be avoided, and not have something like that out there in the first place. Maybe I do care what others think, even just a little bit? That's my prerogative; why do you have the right to tell me otherwise?

I've heard of worse. Maybe not necessarily from pictures of cosplay, but I've heard of people being tracked down and stalked in similar situations. Restraining orders, death threats, the like. There are some psychos out there that defy logical thinking.

Okay, first, do not address me as "dude." =/

Second, I said or implied no such thing. But you basically stated that people who deny pictures just shouldn't cosplay. I said that people cosplay for their own, personal fun. If this means they just wanted to cosplay, without having their picture taken, don't call them names or say they shouldn't cosplay. No one should have to even bother explaining why they don't want their picture taken if they don't want to. It's their body and they have a right to do what they want with it. I recognize that if you cosplay there is a chance people might ask for a picture, but that does not mean I have an obligation to anyone to let people take my picture.

Personally, I'm okay with people asking for my picture while cosplaying. But some just don't want their picture taken; respect that and move on.

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,

Stegsie

Tiny Friend

12,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Timid 100

[sarcastic innocence]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:52 pm
Tsuki Nushi

Well he didn't let her take the pic at all. But then again if I'm asking for a pic that means I like you costume. It's a complement; it's the equivalent of saying "you're so awesome I want to share your awesomeness with my friends". You shouldn't get all snooty when you get a compliment.

That's like me baking cookies and when my friends tell me they like them I scream at them for not noticing that I put in less chocolate chips than the recipe called for. They like what I did, so who cares if it's not exact.

And about the whole facebook thing, people turn you down for stupider reasons. Having a profile pic they don't like, playing Farmville too much liking something they don't; the list goes on.

And really, if someone's going to turn you down because you dressed as a lolita, then you probably wouldn't want to work for them anyways. Would you want to work for someone who sat there and made fun of you for cosplaying? I wouldn't.

I'm merely stating what I see from cosplays of that anime, however, I agree with you that he shouldn't have refused. However, I'd completely understand if he asked your friend to wait a moment.

As for the facebook thing, being dressed as a lolita and being dressed as, say, Yoko from Gurren Lagann is completely different. Dressing up as Yoko is risque. Dressing up as a lolita is not. If anyone thought dressing up as a lolita has any sexual connotation in it, they are seriously sick in the head.

People get made fun of for a lot of things. Being made fun of because I cosplay is a lot better than not getting hired because I was found wearing a skimpy cosplay on the internet, isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:09 pm
Tsuki Nush :: Generally, people aren't always going to want their picture taken and as it may seem a compliment to you there are people who really just dress for fun. You can't really have lists of reasons why someone is not allowed to refuse. There's not rules for that.

People will refuse for silly reasons as you say people will refuse a person for jobs due to Facebook for silly reasons as well.

And for the internet thing, I personally just don't like my photo being taken and no, I am not afraid of stalkers. They're at a convention. They already CAN stalk me...;; (Well, that's creepy.) Also, I'm not afraid of being judged for my cosplay and I have been photographed several times, but I've been very annoyed with snap-happy con-goers who took pictures of me eating and hanging out with my friends. I mean, that made me rather uncomfortable and annoyed, so I don't like photos as much anymore.  

Sauru

RyanJakobi

Aged Humorist

23,925 Points
  • NPCon Attendee 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:58 am
I find the easiest way to get a person to get a picture taken is to travel with a stuffed animal and have random cosplayers hold it while you snap. Case in point: Vendettachu.

User Image

Needless to say, there are risks in that venture. That damn thing got more unwanted attention and PDAs than a Sasuke cosplayer.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:58 pm
I wouldn't say I hate getting pictures taken, I just feel all embarassed.

At my first Anime Con, I ended up having 6 pictures taken of me, not expecting to get absolute any, so I stood there like ">////< -Hinata stance- ;o;...*takes picture*" I was like - sweatdrop -! I didn't refuse any though, I loved the attention. xDD So many compliments, and I wasn't even an anime character, I just dressed up in a short, floral kimono with my hair in a side ponytail. Didn't look that cute. xD But it was great. Life changing event completely. Finally after the 3rd picture I finally came up with a simple pose. xD

Naner Wafer x3

Feral Bunny

12,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Popular Thread 100

Shymedusa

Interesting Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:56 pm
MINI RANT

I hate the fact that really skilled beautiful cosplayers go up to people who decided to buy thier cosplay because they dont have the time or skill and dont want to look bad go up to them and curse them out! seriously just becuase you have the talent and the skill does not mean you can CURSE out soneone who bought thier costume - seriuously if ******** rude and overall i hate any cosplayer who doesnt have anything nice to say! even if it's a crappy cosplay you can say something nice or to help DX

I dont like the fact that the carameldansen block the dealers room. they can dance any other place but not the dealers room! or the artist alley while we're at it!

i dont like photographers who rudely follow others and just snap pictures believe it or not it rude. yes cosplayers dress up but theryre still human and you need to respect that and ask.

i hate creepers and stalkers who make raves and animecon imposssible to enjoy

im done . . . . . .sry  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:36 pm
I ask when I take pictures. I have never come across a bad situation to take a photo. I try to be polite as I am.

I also take random pictures of the conventions like going through the Dealer's Hall. And yes, I do post these pictures online, mostly just put them together in a slideshow and post them on YouTube. I don't mind seeing myself in other people's photos/slideshow online. You get to meet someone new or someone you met but couldn't contact them later on until now (like one girl I met). So it's to be expected to see yourself online whether as a close-up or just in the background in a huge public area. Plus, if you ask me, it would be a pain to find every picture that has you in it and ask it not to be shown or covered. neutral  

LovelyLadyAurora

chobits_chii123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:43 am
Last year for my first convention I did not cosplay. But when it came to taking pictures, even though it was my first convention I had the manners enough to ask people first. A couple people even wanted pictures with me because I sketched their cosplays, even though I wasn't in cosplay! And they asked too.

A couple of people said no, but I found them to be equally polite. I don't need to dig into someone's personal life to find out why they don't want their picture taken - I just say "Okay, thanks," and move on.

I will be cosplaying for Youmacon2010 though~ And I don't think I'll mind getting my picture taken, so long as I'm asked as well (and not in a hurry, etc.). Maybe my opinion will change after experiencing being asked for pics, but for now I'm okay with it, and I respect the people who aren't.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:58 am
I don't mind my picture being taken, and I'm kinda thinking I'm going to be asked a bit this coming CtCon since I'm going as a not so often cosplayed western comic book character, but I do like to be asked to have my photo taken. It's generally the polite thing to do.

I don't want people jumping in front of me and randomly taking my picture, though it will happen unfortunately. I think the only times I would really turn down a picture is if I'm going to use the restroom, eating, or outside having a cigarette. Most the characters I cosplay don't smoke so I really try to avoid having pictures taken of me when in those non-smoking character cosplays with a cigarette.

I didn't have a ton of pictures taken of my last con because I was one of the many L's floating around CtCon but...there was this really awesome photo I found on dA of myself talking to a storm trooper that someone had gotten from the second or third landing of the stairs leading to the second level of the convention center. Stuff like that I don't mind s'long as I'm not completely retarded looking in the picture.

Also. I completely agree with Shymedusa on their rants about the cosplayers who make their own cosplays by hand 100% going and being completely rude jerks to those who buy their cosplays. They have no right to do that at all and they should realize that not everyone has incredible sewing skills and crafting skills. Myself? I can't sew to save my freaking life. I either buy the pieces of the outfit I need or if there is sewing needed I make sure it's something super simple or ask my mum to do it. What is it my grandfather always said, "If you don't have anything nice to say to someone don't say anything at all." I think that saying needs to be drilled into the elitist's heads.

Ok I'm done now >.>

Dark Mistress Raven

O.G. Ladykiller

7,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash