Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Don't you hate... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Doom27

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:19 am
When some cosplayer is being a negitive nancy about taking their picture? I mean they obviously cosplayed to show off. I feel they think it makes them "cool" or "dark" if they deny pictures.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:49 am
I don't mind getting mine taken...
But others might not want their pictures taken because the pictures will most likely show up on the internet. Some people don't like having their images on the internet. Or if they are under 18, they may not be allowed to take pictures by their parents. I had a few friends ((when they were younger)) have to deny pictures because their parents didn't want images of them in someone's pocket or on the internet. But you can't blame cosplayers in the parent situation, they just want to cosplay. Cons are always so much more fun when you cosplay.

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

Sephiroths samurai girl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:06 am
It entirely depends on the situation. If I'm in a hurry or doing something then I'll deny pictures, but I'm generally ok with it unless the person is a known perv (those kind of guys are well known here) or it's someone I know posts on 4chan, cosfu etc. It's nice to know people like your costume enough to take a photo of it and it's great advertising if you're a commissioner!

The thing I hate though is when people hassle you for photos when you're clearly in a hurry or are doing something. I've seen people try to ask someone for a photo when they were clearly arguing with a friend. At an event earlier this year I had people come up to me and people I was interviewing while I was trying to judge a competition, then one of them got in a mood because I asked him to back up and give us 5 minutes.

Not everyone cosplays to "show off" though some just do it because they like wearing different clothing (although not cosplay take lolita for example) or like the character a lot.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:19 am
i don't mid taking pics but i am really shy and might say no if i am not really scared because i am kinda new to cosplaying and cons  

kidraychan

Fashionable Entrepreneur

11,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:32 am
I love it when people ask me if they can take my picture. XD; it makes me know that they like the character I'm cosplaying/the outfit was picture worthy.

So far no one has said that they didn't want a picture taken. Most people know when to not ask for pictures, though like Samurai Girl said. They're in a rush, eating, or arguing with a friend ^^;

@Doom: Do you mean the cosplayers who have the "I'm above all of you" attitude?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:00 pm
I deny pics, I don't really mind pics. But I don't think my cosplays are worthy of pics. I have only let 3 ppl so far take my pic and thats only because my friend was taking 1 and he wanted me 2 be in it 2. He was holy suit Kazuma and I was Ryuho (from S-Cry-ed). Other than that no other pics of me. Not until Ax2010. When I have a better cosplay.  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

Spartan1024

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:38 pm
My friend said she wanted to cosplay but didn't want pictures of her to be taken. I found it incredibly odd because I couldn't imagine why you would go to a con in cosplay without wanting pictures. And especially since she wanted to go as Chii, which I believe is pretty popular, more so if it is well done.

I guess for someone who is camera shy might be a bit more reluctant to want to take a picture, as someone already mentioned. I haven't experienced this before, but I must say I believe that if you do not want photos of yourself, do not go in cosplay. But that is just my opinion.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:44 pm
I don't like it when random candids are taken. I prefer to be asked because I was once Chi and almost everyone would take a candid picture of me whether I was eating or looking through the shops. I would get interrupted when I was talking to my friends, too.

Personally, I don't like pictures also because sometimes people post them online and I'd prefer not to be on display too much, plus these people may be camera shy, or just aren't in a mood for pictures.

Sauru

Tsuki Nushi

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:48 pm
I dislike the people who just deny having their pics taken out of snobbery or because their costume "isn't perfect". It's just rude. Some dude in a Trinty Blood outfit wouldn't let my friend take his pic because his gloves where off. wth?

I don't understand the people who say no because they don't want them on the internet. I mean what's the worst that could happen? Some douche criticizing you? It's not like they're going to hunt you down. How could they; they don't even know what you look like out of costume.

Other than the person being in a hurry, the only real reason for turning down a pic in my opinion is when they're being hounded. Like this guy at the con I work at. He was a flawless Master Chief, and he danced in costume. But because of that, people wouldn't leave the poor guy alone! Every 10 minutes he had to stop and pose for people, and it's hot in that suit. I felt so sorry for him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:09 pm
Tsuki Nushi
I dislike the people who just deny having their pics taken out of snobbery or because their costume "isn't perfect". It's just rude. Some dude in a Trinty Blood outfit wouldn't let my friend take his pic because his gloves where off. wth?

I don't understand the people who say no because they don't want them on the internet. I mean what's the worst that could happen? Some douche criticizing you? It's not like they're going to hunt you down. How could they; they don't even know what you look like out of costume.

Other than the person being in a hurry, the only real reason for turning down a pic in my opinion is when they're being hounded. Like this guy at the con I work at. He was a flawless Master Chief, and he danced in costume. But because of that, people wouldn't leave the poor guy alone! Every 10 minutes he had to stop and pose for people, and it's hot in that suit. I felt so sorry for him.

Oh Geez. At AWA last year I felt so bad for this girl. She was Metroid and she had an awesome costume. I have a picture myself but dont feel like uploading it..lol. Anyways, she couldnt take like 10 steps without someone stopping her for a picture.  

Mibelle26

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:14 pm
Tsuki Nushi

Well I hope u dont hate me, because I have rejected pics because my cosplay was not complete. It wasnt something small like missing gloves and stuff. I was missing the4 pants, boots, and hair the time I rejected them. But the times my pics were taken I had the hair, still no boots. I still dont have them and its been almost 6 months.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:36 pm
Doom27
When some cosplayer is being a negitive nancy about taking their picture? I mean they obviously cosplayed to show off. I feel they think it makes them "cool" or "dark" if they deny pictures.

I'm cosplaying but it doesn't mean I want people to take my picture confused Sometimes people do it as a group thing, to be festive, or for contests.  

Wee Little

Stegsie

Tiny Friend

12,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:35 pm
Tsuki Nushi

And every time you ask him for another vanishing act,
he half smiles as if to say...

What right do you have to take someone's picture? You need to respect the wishes of other people, instead of acting a bit stuck up yourself. Some people don't want to be criticized on the internet, so what's wrong with that? There's something called a reputation that some people can have, and a picture they're not ready for in which they might look like crap or aren't prepared might affect that.

It's not that hard to identify people in cosplay, even if they look a bit different. Your basic facial features stay the same, plus people could identify the event or people around you and figure out who you are based on that.

Honestly, that's rude of you to want people to let you take their picture under most circumstances. Someone could be tired or having a bad day. You don't know. Cosplay is about having fun, and if that fun doesn't include pictures then who are you to try and force that on them?

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,
whatever you want is fine by me."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:16 am
Musical Panda
And every time you ask him for another vanishing act,
he half smiles as if to say...

What right do you have to take someone's picture? You need to respect the wishes of other people, instead of acting a bit stuck up yourself. Some people don't want to be criticized on the internet, so what's wrong with that? There's something called a reputation that some people can have, and a picture they're not ready for in which they might look like crap or aren't prepared might affect that.

It's not that hard to identify people in cosplay, even if they look a bit different. Your basic facial features stay the same, plus people could identify the event or people around you and figure out who you are based on that.

Honestly, that's rude of you to want people to let you take their picture under most circumstances. Someone could be tired or having a bad day. You don't know. Cosplay is about having fun, and if that fun doesn't include pictures then who are you to try and force that on them?

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,
whatever you want is fine by me."

Agreeing with this completely!
Unless they're hired as booth babes or models where they're pretty much there to have their photos taken with others, then cosplayers have every right to refuse photos for whatever reason they want. We don't cosplay just so people can take photos and I find it quite rude when people assume that's all we're there for and get annoyed when some people don't like having photos taken.

I can kind of understand not wanting your photo taken if you're not wearing everything. If people want a photo when I'm not wearing everything then they'll either wait while I put it on quickly or I'll ask them to find me later if I don't have it on me as it normally means I'm taking a break and am sat down somewhere.

Honestly, not everyone has thick skin and having seen some friends being completely ripped apart online I can fully understand why people would refuse photos because of the internet. There's a big difference between constructive criticism and tearing it out of someone because their costume isn't perfect, they don't look like a super model or just because someone's heard something about them. It's amazingly easy to track a cosplayer down if they're part of a forum like coscom or cosisland and I've seen some friends be harrassed because they've been posted on 4chan and people have tracked them down.

Obviously there's going to be a split in this thread between the cosplayers and the people who go to cons to take photos. I do agree that it's rude if you refuse photos just to be a t**t, and if you are refusing photos then it should be politely done and you should be prepared to turn a lot of people down if it's a popular costume.
People do enjoy taking photos of cosplayers and are going to be disapointed if they're turned down but at the same time they also need to remember that cosplayers aren't obligated to have photos taken and aren't there just to be your model for the day so if you are turned down just find someone else who does want their photo taken.  

Sephiroths samurai girl

[sarcastic innocence]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:01 am
Trinity Blood has a veeeerrrryy high standard, it seems. I'm actually not surprised that the cosplayer refused to have his photos taken until his gloves were put on because to people who just see the image and don't know what went on when the photo was taken would think that his cosplay was incomplete.

As for people refusing their images on the internet (semi-work related):
By the way, you do know that a lot of people post images on facebook and link them to your account, right? Employers know that people use facebook nowadays and WILL look at your account to see what you've been doing. I've heard of people not getting hired because an image of them while they were either high or drunk was posted on their facebook account and was found by their potential employer.

Now imagine what would happen if your potential employer found an image of you dressed as a risque character while they were doing a background check on you.

Convention Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff