Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply But What Does It Mean?!
Influential Character Essay (Alice ^_^)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alice Rahne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:31 pm
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Haha, an essay I chose to do for English. And of course, I chose Alice. ^_^

Prompt: Describe a character in fiction, history, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc) that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence.

Everyone has some kind of fictional influence in their Life that has affected one part of them and their Life or another. Personally, my fictional influence would have to be the infamous Alice from Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland. Alice may seem like an odd choice for a Life influence to most, but she’s one of the best ones for me. Although her curiosity did get her into a spot of trouble, she emerged from her adventure a stronger and more well rounded person for having ventured out on her endeavour. Also, the way she continued working towards her goal of getting to the garden despite all of the odds and seemingly impossibilities, she stayed steadfast in achieving her goal. Also, the innocence of her childhood compelling her to keep her adventures shining in her heart to tell to future youths when she’s of an older age is inspirational to me as something everyone should strive to do – remember our youth and not grow up too quickly or too fast.

First off, Alice’s curiosity, despite the trouble it presents for her in the end, is a part of why she’s an influential character in my Life. When she followed the With Rabbit down the rabbit hole, true, it may have been reckless, but during her fall down that rabbit hole, she makes the statement, “After a fall such as this, I shall think nothing of tumbling down-stairs!” This shows that she has enough sense to know, when you overcome greater things, you’re better able to handle the smaller things without so much worry or fear. Also, curiosity doesn’t lead to just trouble alone. It can also lead to beautiful and wonderful discoveries, such as that of Alice’ finding the garden.

Which brings me to another reason he’s such a strong influence. Alice, despite the obstacles and problems in her way, tries her best to do what she’s determined to do, and though falters in her faith I her ability to do it, never falters in her will power to get it done. This is when her getting to the Queen’s garden represents – determination. First she was too large to fit through the door, but when presented with a possible solution, i.e. the “Drink Me” bottle, first off, not only did she use it to her advantage (at the time), but she didn’t do it rashly. She was bright enough to think to check first to make sure it didn’t “disagree” with her “sooner or later.” And that was just the start of things in her way. As most who are familiar with this story know quite well, Alice had quite the number of problems put before her; the Pool of Tears, getting stuck in the White Rabbit’s house, the Duchess and the Pig, and, of course, the Mad Tea Party. But she persevered through them all and finally made her way to the beautiful garden of the Queen’s Croquet Ground.

But probably the most important reason Alice is my chosen fictional influence is because of the promise she made to herself to always keep the spectacular adventure of Wonderland and childhood innocence in her heart. Without this kind of purity and spirit in us, almost everything we do is meaningless, because there’s no heart behind it and it can’t inspire others to do the same and keep these precious jewels of memories in out Lives. It’s living with these kinds of memories and inspiring other children to make their own and make sure they have the opportunity to that makes Life worth living to me. And Alice’s vow to keep these memories alive and pass them down to others is a constant reminder of this.

So, personally, I think Alice has got to be one of the best influences for Life. True, I believe so due to her curiosity, determination, and her willingness to keep her childhood alive. But, also because she herself is a child as opposed to an adult. So, instead of being just another role model for children to aim to become in the future, she’s someone who can relate to children as they are now and children don’t have to strive to have these values in the future. But, they can use them and develop in the Life currently because her childhood innocence is comparable to theirs, meaning they can use these ideals in their Life now to better help prepare for whatever future that will have, instead of giving them a set up future to mold themselves into.

And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:33 pm
That's very good, I would love to have a reason to do an essay concerning AiW, but so far haven't.

You don't mind contructive criticism do you? Don't worry, nothing bad. o.o Just there's a typo in the third paragraph 'he' instead of 'she' and in the first paragraph you started two sentences that are one after the other with 'Also'. But that might of been intentional, I just find doing that in a essay makes it repetitive to read. As far as I can tell that's the only problems with it.

If you didn't want that then ignore it. XD I like contructive criticism for my own work is all. But anyway, overall its well written and you get your point across to effect. Alice was quite a different type of main character from the usual in those days. ^_^  

Azure Caterpillar

Alice Rahne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:02 pm
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

lol, No I don't mind that at all!
XD
Actually, I didn't even realise either of those
x.x
I love writing essays, oddly enough
>_>
And when I get on a topic I'm really excited about, I write fairly fast (cause I ALWAYS hand write them first) and then I just type them out as I reread it, I usually don't look for errors, because I seldom make them
>_>
Like, that was an exact copy of the first draft no planning or anything and there was only what.....two errors or so?
I love writing
But thank you!
I'll be sure to fix those before I put it in my school portfolio!
^_^;;

And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:47 pm
No problem. Just wanted to be of help. ^_^  

Azure Caterpillar

The Fate Morgana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:18 pm
Very nice essay!
I had to write an essay like this to get into my highschool. I did not think of doing Alice though. However I chose the girl from "Down The Rabbit Hole" so it was still Alice related. Mine was not half as good and well thought out as yours though.  
But What Does It Mean?!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games