Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is it what it says on the tin?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:23 pm
I felt the title was impressive enough, and for an introduction to astrology with lots of correspondences, it could be helpful.

However, I found myself trying to memorize vast amounts of information that had little to no context. In journalism, you're taught to ask who, what when, where, why and how- and I feel this book answers the what, and a small amount of the how.

What it does give you is a general perspective on all the different pieces of an astrological chart, piece by piece, brick by brick. I feel those bricks add up to a wall of text that is as formidable as any master's thesis, but it lacked the other details, like why do they see things as they do, who was the initial source of the understandings and how does it all actually work together.

I was left feeling that it was a good linear understanding of the different bare parts, but it lacked the depth so many astrological schools hold.

Mayhaps it was unfair of me to expect more, but the title left me feeling ripped off.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:41 pm
I've learned to expect these things from such titles confused

but I've also been interested in learning astrology but i wouldnt know where to start. Is there anything anyone would Reccomend?  

Daearen

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:53 pm
lCobaltl
I've learned to expect these things from such titles confused

but I've also been interested in learning astrology but i wouldnt know where to start. Is there anything anyone would Reccomend?

I suppose that would depend on what you want to get out of the book.
What would you be looking to Astrology in order to explore?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:20 pm
Quote:
Mayhaps it was unfair of me to expect more, but the title left me feeling ripped off

I find that quite a bit as well, though for me I usually find that they are lacking more in the "why" category. Too many books try to be an "everything" book, and fail spectacularly at going any deeper than a surface level. What's worse is that it can be difficult (depending on the subject matter) to find decent books that do offer the "why".  

ncsweet
Crew

Willow Wolfblade

6,100 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:40 pm
My mom actually gave this book to me (it used to be hers...well I guess it technically still is but she moved to Kansas... But ANYWAYS) and I've thought that it does Horoscopes great. But not much else really. I think it should have been called "The Only HOROSCOPE Book you'll Ever Need"  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:08 am
I haven't really found a good book for just Astrology. I do have a pretty good Astronomy book. A little different I know.  

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:46 pm
ncsweet

I find that quite a bit as well, though for me I usually find that they are lacking more in the "why" category. Too many books try to be an "everything" book, and fail spectacularly at going any deeper than a surface level. What's worse is that it can be difficult (depending on the subject matter) to find decent books that do offer the "why".
I have noticed this as well, but I feel I understand why.

If I were to pick a random book off my shelf, and flip to a random chapter, I find there is often enough information for a whole book on that one topic itself.

Brett KoZakku
My mom actually gave this book to me (it used to be hers...well I guess it technically still is but she moved to Kansas... But ANYWAYS) and I've thought that it does Horoscopes great. But not much else really. I think it should have been called "The Only HOROSCOPE Book you'll Ever Need"

I'm not sure I feel it is even good for that. I felt it lacked insight in regards to the aspects and I felt it did not comment on the nature of orbs to any degree that would be useful- both of which are very important when it comes to drawing horoscopes.

Aakosir
I haven't really found a good book for just Astrology. I do have a pretty good Astronomy book. A little different I know.

I feel it's worth noting that astronomy is an important foundation.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:34 am
Personal opinion: if you want complete information, don't count on one source. Ever.  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:55 pm
You know that was my first major astrology book. I lost the book though, I think one of my neighbors stole it from me. Anyway, there was one thing that kinda trouble when reading it was that I seemed to fit into the description of both Libra and Scorpio. Now if I was a cusp, that would make sense, but I'm not a cusp.

Anyway I think I might have just now reconciled this issue by comparing my tropical natal with a sidereal natal. Anyway the tools and CD that comes with the book are great but it left me questioning the tropical astrology system.  
*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games