Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Resources
The Ignore Button & You Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elda-Kun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:37 am
The Ignore Button & You

ⅰ. Introduction
ⅱ. When to use the ignore button
ⅲ. How to Ignore
ⅳ. I've Ignored someone, what does that do?
ⅴ. I've been ignored, how can I tell?
ⅵ. When the ignore button is not enough
ⅶ. F.A.Q.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:47 am
When to Use the Ignore Button

To start off, one might ask when is the appropriate time to use the ignore feature. While the initial decision to ignore a user is always up to you, there are certain situations where the ignore button is your best friend.

You can add anyone to your ignore list for any reason you wish, this list is your own personal blacklist of any and everyone you don't want to deal with. There is no such thing as ignore button abuse.

However there are certain times when it would be better for you to ignore someone these times include:

• When a user is repeatedly contacting you aganist your wishes, especially if you have already asked them to stop.
  • When your feel threatened by a user in any way.
  • When you wish to keep a user from posting in your topic(s) for any reason.
  • Any time that you do not wish to have contact with a user.

Elda-Kun

Elda-Kun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:47 am
How to Ignore Someone

There are four ways to go about ignoring someone. All work equally well and yield the same results.
As a note, when you ignore someone they will not know it unless they figure it out themselves. The system does not notify you when you have been placed on an ignore list.

• Method One: Ignoring someone in the forums/over Private Messages.

Say you are posting in the froums or reading your PMs and decide need/want to ignore someone. You can do this simply by hovering on the drop-down menu under their avatar. At the very bottom of the menu you will see an option for ignore. Simply click this link and you will be taken to your friends list screen. The user who you wish to ignore will already be in on the screen with a check mark next to their name. Simply click the "Add Ignored" button at the bottom of the page, and volia! They are now on your ignored list.
    Related Images:

User Image

• Method Two: Ignoring someone directly from the friends screen.

• Method Three: Ignoring someone in Towns.

Ignoring someone in towns is easily the most fun way to use the ignore system. Say you are in Towns and are being harassed by another user. To ignore them, you simply shoot them with a fireball! To use the fireball tool you click the "Ignore User" button on the menu at the bottom of the Towns screen (located between the Directory and Jump To buttons), then just aim your fireball shooter at the person you wish to ignore and shoot! The users avatar goes up in flames and they are automatically added to your ignore list. You may also ignore them the traditional way in Towns (see method four).
    Related Images:

User Image

• Method Four: Ignoring someone in zOMG/Rally/any other flash area or game.

To ignore someone in rally, Virtual Hollywood, or any other flash space (this also works in Towns) you simply hover your mouse over their avatar. This will cause a little orange "+" to appear on the avatar, click this for a drop-down menu including such things as Ignore and View Profile. Simply select ignore and they are automatically added to your list. Similarly, for games such as Puzzles, Slots, Cards or any other multi-player game you simply click on the avatar of the user you wish to ignore and choose Ignore from the small menu that pops up. Ignoring people in zOMG works just slightly differently, you must target the user you want to ignore like you would if you where going to use a buff on them. Then, you choose ignore from the target information box that pops up.
    Related Images:

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:48 am
I've Ignored Them, Now What?

So, you've added someone to your ignore list for whatever reason. What does this mean?
Basically, by ignoring someone you have shut your eyes to them. They can still see you, but you can no longer see them.

By adding someone to your ignore list they will not be able to do the following:

• They will not be able to post in your topics.
      • They will not be able to send you Private Messages
      • They will not be able to send you trades.
      • They will not be able to send you gifts.
      • They cannot view your profile.
      • They cannot send your friends requests (duh).
      • You will not see them if they speak in Towns.
      • You will not see their posts in the froums.

Elda-Kun

Elda-Kun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:48 am
I've Been Ignored

Ok, you've been added to someone's ignored list. Now what?

• I should create a mule and try to talk this person out of ignoring me! It's so not fair!!
xxxxxNo! If you find yourself on someone's ignore list you should not try to contact them on a mule. This is called circumventing the ignore list and is a serious issue. If someone has ignored you they have a good reason for it and you should move on and ignore them as well.

• I should report them! They ignored me for no reason and I don't like it.
xxxxxWrong. Anyone on Gaia can ignore any user for any reason. They don't need a "good reason" to ignore you, they may do so for any reason. You may not think this is fair, but remember you too can also ignore anyone for any reason.

• I should trash talk them for ignoring me, that was lame of them!
xxxxxNo. This can be considered abuse, and is not allowed on Gaia. Just let is go.

• I should add them to my ignored list?
xxxxxWell, you can if you want to, but it's not going to make much difference. Just don't go out of your way to be abusive about it.

• I ordered art from this user and they accepted the trade and then added me to the ignore list! That is ignore list abuse!
xxxxxActually, what you are describing is a scam, you will need to file a Scamming Report.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:49 am
What to Do When the Ignore Button is Not Enough

So, you've added someone to your ignore list and they continue to contact you on mules or get their friends to contact you.

If someone continues to contact you against your wishes, especially if the contact is abusive, it is time to take the next step and file an Abuse/Harassment report.

The Abuse/Harassment report is located here: http://www.gaiaonline.com/gaia/report.php?r=7

When to file an A/H report:

• You are continuing to receive abusive messages or comments, or continue to have abusive comments posted in the forums about your person, after you have asked the user or group of users making the comments to stop the behavior.
  • You have received a message, comment, or have in any way been contacted by another member of Gaia and the abuser has made threats against your person or your Gaia account.
  • A user or group of users continues to contact you on Gaia after you have asked them to stop contacting you, and you have put him/her/them on your ignore list. This includes being contacted by the abuser on a secondary (or mule) account.

Things to keep in mind when filing an A/H report:

• File the report as soon as possible after the abuse occurs. This helps to ensure the abuse is addressed in a timely manner.
  • Details! Details, details, details! Provide them. Do not go "user was mean here". Provide links, screenshots, or any other evidence you have of when/where the abuse occurred.
  • The information you provide in this report must, to the best of your knowledge, be truthful.
  • Do not file multiple reports about the same incident.

Elda-Kun

Elda-Kun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:49 am
F.A.Q.

Q: I've ignored someone, can they still see my profile?
    A: No, they cannot see your profile, and additionally you will not be able to view theirs.

Q: If I ignore a moderator/admin will it work?
    A: Well, kinda. Everything will be the same as if you ignored a normal user, except they are still able to send you Private Messages.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:00 pm
This is officially (finally) completed~! heart  

Elda-Kun

Daypaw

Hardened Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:44 pm

heart Thank you, Elda :3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:09 pm
Excuse me, a typo is located in your last Q&A post, the word expect. I do believe it should be except.

-Akiba Grim-

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Daypaw

Hardened Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:26 pm

JaggerJack-6
Excuse me, a typo is located in your last Q&A post, the word expect. I do believe it should be except.

Corrected.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:03 am
Can someone still send you gifts anonymously if you ignore them?  

Chaos Fanatic

Versatile Gaian

xuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Tactical Superhero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:11 am
Thank you for this post. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:28 pm
Chaos Fanatic
Can someone still send you gifts anonymously if you ignore them?
no. that is contact with you, even if they check the anonymous box
with the updated Ignore system, anyone you ignore can no longer see you. in order to gift someone, they would have to be able to see you, which is no longer the case this lists all the changes
and with there changes having gone into effect a while ago, this thread needs updating  

Little White Crane

Shy Gaian

4,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
☆ Resources

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers