Welcome to Gaia! ::

Soquili Era

Back to Guilds

Tags: soquili, horses, breedable pets, pet horses, familiars 

Reply Open/Private Canon IC RP
[PRP] One Last Request (Maeryn x Nemesis)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:53 pm
User Image

She was old. She could feel her age deep within her bones, could sense it in the long, cold nights without Rot. A part of her had died with her mate, and with him gone, the passage of time seemed all the more concrete. She was not a young filly anymore, and could not count on time to be her ally as the world grew more and more dark. In the long hours of the night, she spoke to her mate's bones, and it was almost as though he were still beside her. Sometimes, she could all but hear his much beloved voice. The strength in him, in his sacrifice had kept her going even as the press of time brought aches to her joints, and made her bones brittle.

She was dying. She had known that for some time now. There was no way of knowing how much longer she had left, no way of knowing if she would live to see her great-grandchildren, or even to see each of her children settled, mated. Maeryn, the proud black Kalona mare who had for so long led the Black Skull Herd, was dying. At best, she had years left to live. A handful of years, in which she might meet her newest grandchildren, perhaps instill some sense into them before her time was up. At worst... at worst, she might die tomorrow. What was more was that she could not be certain of her continued life, with so many Skinwalkers about. Today might very well be her last day.

If it was, she wanted to end it with her eldest son. "Nemesis," she called, her aged voice soft and full of the years that it had known. "Nemesis, my son... I have a final request for you." She turned, facing the great black stallion, whose coat glimmered in the dim light much the way his sire's had. She faced him proudly. There was an intense vulnerability about her frail, brittle frame. She had always been small for a Kalona, but she had lost inches since the days of her youth. "I am old, my son. I am old and full of years, and I am... tired. My bones long to rest beside your sire's bones. But I have one final thing that I wish of you. I wish to know your foals. I wish to feel the press of their soft noses against my legs, and impart what wisdom I may on them."

"My request is this: find a mare that is worthy of bearing those foals, and get her with foal. I want to hear the sound of their little hooves before I die. Surely, this is not too much to ask for, after so long? I have been patient, my Nemesis. I have waited for you to find a mate on your own time, but now I must ask that you increase your efforts. I do not know how long I will yet live, but I am not immortal." His sire had not been immortal, and surely he must see that the years pressed down on her so. "Do this for me, my son, and you will know that if I die, I will die a happy mare." For she had but one wish left in her. That was all that she could contain, all that she could hold out for. She would have liked to see more of her grandchildren, but that was more, far more, than she could ever expect.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:10 pm
User Image

His mother had never been the same after his father's murder. He never expected her to be. The bond shared between them was something completely foreign, and even now it made him slightly uncomfortable to think about. He'd remained a doting son, listening and watching quietly as his mother had... spoken to the remains of Rot, prattling on as though they would talk back. If only the gods were that kind.

Ears had pricked wordlessly when it was his name she spoke, and he took a step forward, lowering his head so that his somber gaze could lock on her own. "I will obey." Came the low assent, and he waited, not sure what it was that she would ask. His teeth grit themselves soundlessly as she spoke of her own passing, and he shook his head with a rough denial that said no, he would not--could not accept that. She was his mother, proud and strong... could he bear to lose her so quickly after his father?

His head snapped back before he could stop it at what she said next, and it was safe to say that Nemesis was quite frankly bewildered. Foals? She wanted to know his foals? Rebellion twitched through every muscle in his body, but he could not bring himself to voice a single sound.

A mare. He had never concerned himself with such frivolous things, not with the weight of his herd's safety and the threat of the Skinwalkers laying so heavily upon his shoulders. "I will make no guarantees, mother. ...I do not feel comfortable, abandoning you and my sisters here while I go in search of a mare." There was loathing in that last word, lips pulling back to emphasize his disgust.

But he could not deny her anything. "...I will try."

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:30 pm
"I know that you have little interest in seeking out a mate, even to bear you foals... yet I must ask that you grant me this. I cannot like the ramifications of starting a search now, when there are so few Kalona mares available, but..." But she had no choice. "I do not know whether I have years before me, my Nemesis, or days. Hours, even. That is why I must ask this of you. You of all my children have remained true to your old mother's teachings, and while I am proud of each and everyone one of my children, it is part of your duty as Protector that you find a mare to ... continue the line."

In a rare, tender moment, she nuzzled Nemesis, soft muzzle graying with age, eyes proud. "You have been a good and true son, and I have always had reason to be proud of you. I would like to meet my grandbabies, Nemesis. I would like to know each one of them before I pass on. Your sire was so proud of you, too, and he would not have chosen you as his successor otherwise. Still, while you are on your search, you may have your brothers stand in for you, and keep watch over our herd. Only when you are out, of course... but you know that." Poor Bane grieved so for his sire, still, and her heart went out to him.

Surely Ruin would be able to assist his brother, however. Neither of them were as favored as Nemesis, but they too would have to learn responsibility in due time. Hex... she had no way of contacting. It wounded her that several of her foals had grown apart, but that was as it should be. Kalona were independent, and it was a wonder that they had managed this herd at all. "I would like for you to find a replacement for me when the time comes, Nemesis. Perhaps young Theia, or my dear Malice. There are several options available, and I expect that your choice will be a good one."

It was as though she was giving him her final will, though she did not think she would be leaving this world so soon as that. She wanted him to know ahead of time, however. "You must do your best, my son. I have so little time left... I would like to have a hand in finding you a suitable mate. ... With so few Kalona left, I may have to relax my standards slightly, as much as I dislike that thought. It grieves me that you will not have your pick of mares, but there are so few worthy Kalona remaining. What I want from you, Nemesis, is a mare that holds the ideals of our herd, our family in high regard." For all that there was no mare worthy of her baby, in her opinion, he would have to find one regardless.  
Open/Private Canon IC RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games