Welcome to Gaia! ::

a written word - the new version!

Back to Guilds

a friendly atmosphere to discuss books, writing, and so much more! 

Tags: Book, Write, Read, Roleplaying, Random, and more!, Movies, Music, Sports, Food, Fan Fiction 

Reply "The only crime worse than burning books, is not reading them."
Go Ask Alice

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Todd186
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:56 pm
Has anyone read this book? I finished it today and I loved it. The ending was sort of sad. It's a good look inside the world of drugs and is something that everyone should read. Whether or not it was really written by a girl who experienced everything described in the book means nothing. It is a book that hopefully can keep people away from drugs.

So here is my question (more like questions) to you: Have you read it?
Do you think it was really written by a teenage girl?
Did it make you think twice?
Did it keep you away from drugs?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:02 pm
It says right in the book that it's a work of fiction.
See here

Insomniac Doze

solar molar

Dapper Fatcat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:42 am
i've read it, yes.

but it didn't make me think twice about drugs, though,
because i've never even thought once about doing them in the

first place. but it is a phenomenal book.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:28 pm
Insomniac Doze
See here

It didn't have that in the copy I read. Mine was an older version. I got it from the library.  

Todd186
Crew

Insomniac Doze

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:12 pm
Todd186
Insomniac Doze
See here

It didn't have that in the copy I read. Mine was an older version. I got it from the library.

It probably did and you just overlooked it.
I did with my copy. xP

Anyway as a fiction novel I find it wordy, and predictable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:39 pm
Insomniac Doze
Todd186
Insomniac Doze
See here

It probably did and you just overlooked it.
I did with my copy. xP

Anyway as a fiction novel I find it wordy, and predictable.

I found it predictable too. And the part when she was talking about maggots and all that stuff I thought that a huge hunk of the book had fallen out.
And actually it didn't say that. I even went through the copyright page and all the other pages to check.  

Todd186
Crew

TrickMeMoon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:42 pm
I haven't read it yet, but my little sister has and she loved it. She said it really makes you think about a few things. I need to put it on my list D: Glad to know some others like it too~  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:13 pm
I liked it when I first read it, like the OP I didn't learn it wasn't autobiographical until later, and honestly that kind killed the story for me.

I think I liked the book because it seemed like a real, personal account, and when I found out it wasn't I just... stopped liking it. It didn't help that I felt kinda like the book had somehow lied to me. Silly I know, but in my mind things that are -supposedly- based on real life need to actually be based on real life.

boyamiconfuzed

Toothsome Prophet

10,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nerd 50

Todd186
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:12 pm
boyamiconfuzed
I liked it when I first read it, like the OP I didn't learn it wasn't autobiographical until later, and honestly that kind killed the story for me.

I think I liked the book because it seemed like a real, personal account, and when I found out it wasn't I just... stopped liking it. It didn't help that I felt kinda like the book had somehow lied to me. Silly I know, but in my mind things that are -supposedly- based on real life need to actually be based on real life.

It was based on real life a bit. The woman who wrote it took stories from kids she had talked to.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:13 am
Todd186

It was based on real life a bit. The woman who wrote it took stories from kids she had talked to.

And exaggerated the Heck out of it for all we know. And a lot happens to the narrator, in actuality only one negative experience could have happened to each of the kids she talked to.

I'm not discounting those individual experiences, but knowing that someone compiled them all into one book to make me stay off drugs ... bothers me. I felt, weirdly, like the author was insulting my intelligence. I think I just don't like being preached to.

I think I would have been fine with the book if it had been presented as a series of personal accounts by different kids. Heck it might have had more impact that way, seeing just how many kids lives got messed up by drugs.

boyamiconfuzed

Toothsome Prophet

10,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nerd 50
"The only crime worse than burning books, is not reading them."

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items