Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[d20 Modern] Stargate: Parallel Universe - Full Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Reevinja Mk II
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:38 pm
[D20 Modern] Stargate: Parallel Universe
Checking Interest! Character creation details to follow if enough interest is gathered.

[ Plot ]
[ If you want a short, short version of the background/idea behind the game then CTRL+F or scroll down to "Premise". ]

United States of America - 1957
In 1957, a seismologist by the name of Randal Atkerson uncovered some odd readings coming from seismographs situated in the Antarctic region. They were inconsistant with normal seismic activity, and due to the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station being the only seismograph station on the interior of the landmass - he was unable to determine the exact location of the source. Professor Atkerson's reports were passed off by most of his colleagues as a sensor malfunction as the station's construction had just finished this year. The readings continued infrequently but the fact that they were continuing spurred Atkerson into action and he started planning an expedition to discover the source. At the same time, he also used subterfuge to mislead other scientists in believing that the readings had ceased and the malfunction had been fixed - Atkerson thinking that whatever was down there would be a significant scientific discovery and wanting to ensure that only he (and those he chose to assist him) would find it.

It took two years, a number of favours, and a good deal of cash before he was ready to set out. He recruited a longtime friend, a geologist by the name of Emmett Daviau to become his partner in the venture - intending to make good on a promise he made about being the one to make both of them famous.

Antarctica - 1959User Image
They began their journey from the south pole station, stopping within the station first to sneak out all related data so that few would be aware of what they were up to. From there, they circled outward and after many months (including several deaths).. they had turned up nothing. Without frequent quakes, or accurate data, Daviau doubted that they would ever find the source and suggested they give up and go home but Atkerson would hear nothing of it. In the days immediately following Daviau and Atkerson's heated disagreement - a base camp was established, and both Atkerson and Daviau hunkered down to try and determine where they would search next.

They never found an answer but they never needed to.

A couple of days after the camp had been setup, during the night - the ground beneath the camp began to shake violently, eventually opening into a great crack which swallowed up the entire camp and everyone in it before many of them could even set food outside their tents. It is uncertain how far they fell but when Atkerson and Daviau awoke, they found themselves in an icy chamber deep below the surface. Approximately half of the expedition had been killed in the fall, several others were injured and only a handful (Atkerson and Daviau included) got by without so much as a scratch.

For the few remaining healthy members of the expedition, it was a priority to tend to the wounded and find a way out of the chamber and back to the surface. Atkerson's chief concern, however, was exploring the chamber in hopes that whatever had been causing the seismic activity was located here. His hopes proved true when, only 100 feet away from the place where the camp had been swallowed, he located a massive circular object laying flat against an ice wall in an antechamber.

It was constructed from an unknown metal and Atkerson had no idea what the glyphs could mean. He remained in the antechamber studying the device until Daviau (who had remained at the camp to assist in getting them out of the hole) came and found him, intending to tell him that they had managed to radio for assistance. But unlike Atkerson, who was mesmerized by the device, Daviau understood that there was no way they could retrieve it with the people who remained nor did they want to show the device to anyone before they had the ability to take it out of the ice. He dragged Atkerson back to the camp, saying that neither of them found anything, and both were rescued (along with the rest of the remaining expedition) and taken back to the United States - making it seem as if they had given up on finding whatever they set out to find.

Once they had returned from the expedition, both Randal Atkerson and Emmett Daviau swore to one another that they would keep the discovery of the device a secret. To that end, Atkerson continued to falsify records though he did not need to do so for long - three months after their return, all activity in the region related to the device ceased. Both men agreed to go their separate ways, planning to meet in the future when both had accumulated more wealth and technology had advanced to the point where they would be better equipped to excavate the device from the ice and snow.

United States of America - 1985
Atkerson and Daviau do not speak or see each other for 26 years.

In that time, Atkerson had accomplished little. He became obsessed with the device and learning its' secrets and spent almost every waking moment trying to learn more about it. Daviau, on the other hand, used this event as a catalyst to start his own business (which he had always planned on doing, but lacked motivation) which he called "The Daviau Corporation."

Through this business, Daviau was able to accumulate a great deal of wealth and in 1985 - he set things in motion for the construction of the Daviau-Atkerson Mountain Complex. Little in the ways of actual construction needed to be done as the complex was an old, abandoned bunker which his company was able to purchase off the United States Military. The facility was abandoned after a more advanced facility finished construction in Cheyenne Mountain.

At the same time, Daviau located his old friend - Randal Atkerson - and told him of his success, including the construction of the base. Atkerson, who was struggling to survive after having spent so much of his assets, gladly accepted the invitation to be the one to excavate the device and bring it to the mountain complex.

Antarctica - 1989
It took 4 more years of planning before the Daviau Corporation-funded expedition to Antarctica, under the leadership Randal Atkerson, left the United States bound for the south pole. With the advances in technology, and the time Atkerson spent studying and mapping the location of the device, it only took two weeks before it was found again. This time the device seemed to be 'powered down,' but nonetheless - Atkerson excavated it with the help of the contract-bound expedition and secretly shipped it from the Antarctic to the mountain complex.

With a proper team, the device was not the only thing they were able to find. A number of eroded stone tables were located next to the device, with several more in a container made of the same metal as the ring. They also found a separate device with symbols from the gate on it, and a big red button in the center but it appeared damaged. Without any knowledge of the device, it was classified as beyond repair and stored deep within the base in a sealed room.

United States of America - 1992
The device is fully installed into the base on the lowest level, and the base is finally complete. Atkerson remains at the complex as the project leader, recruiting a number of professionals in various fields to help him with the investigation of the device, and its' function.

United States of America - 2000
It takes 8 years before any progress is made in determining the ring's function, but thanks to the help of one woman - Catherine Langford - it is learned the ring is called a Stargate and its' purpose is to link distant planets through the use of artificially-created wormholes. They also learn that the glyphs upon the Stargate are not actual words but instead constellations. They attempt, numerous times, to activate the Stargate but each attempt is met with failure due to the energy requirements of the Stargate draining far more power than the mountain complex has available.

Atkerson sends a request to Daviau to acquire a more powerful generator for the base, and although Daviau acknowledges his request - nothing further can be done for the time being.

United States of America - 2009 (Present)User Image
Daviau finally is able to acquire and install a generator powerful enough to not only provide power for the entire complex - but the Stargate as well. Using a seven-symbol address, which had been found one of the stone tablets with the gate, they successfully are able to activate the gate. A vortex shot out from the Stargate prior to it fully activating, it believed that this vortex was required as part of the activation process. When the vortex receded - a stable blue water-like portal was waiting for them.User Image

An unmanned robotic vehicle was sent through the gate, and sensors tracked it as it ventured through the wormhole to come out on a planet far away from our solar system. Video received from the probe through the Stargate showed that it had come out in some kind of temple, with one of the symbol-devices sitting in front of the Stargate - only this one appeared intact. After 38 minutes of a continuous feed - the wormhole suddenly closed, cutting off communications with the probe and ending the video feed.
User Image
After the test - Atkerson called for a conference between himself, and several others regarding the Stargate and creating a system with which they would be able to explore other worlds. Between the potential discoveries (both of alien cultures, and technology) it was almost universally agreed that further exploration needed to be done. It was here that Stargate Command was born, adopting a pseudo-military ranking system with Atkerson as the highest-ranking official in the program... next to Daviau. Daviau agreed to help fund the program, using funds from his Corporation to purchase weapons, armor, and whatever other technology would be needed.

It was also here that a more iron-clad contract was created, in order to keep the function of the complex, and the Stargate itself, a secret from the rest of the world.

[ Premise ]
This is a Stargate-based game using the d20 Modern system. (I know there was a published SG RPG, but I think D20 Modern would make this game far more accessible.)

You are part of a reality alternate to the one seen in the shows (Stargate SG-1/Atlantis/Universe) in which the Stargate at Giza was never found (maybe because it wasn't there.. ;p), and the antarctic Stargate is found and kept secret by a private organization. This organization owns a large complex based within a mountain and has started its' own version of the Stargate program, of which your character becomes a member (SG-1).

As this program is operated by a private corporation, it is a little more relaxed and has a far less rigid structure than one the United States Military use/would use allowing - I think - greater freedom with gear, outfits, and in general.. characters. One thing that is consistent is that your character needs some sort of talent that is useful to the Stargate program - a random bum would no suffice. ;p

Being an alternate reality.. some things from the show may be similar but don't count on finding certain things/technology at specific locations like they do in the show. ;]

[ House Rules/Optional Rules ]

1] Everyone will be human. Jaffa and other races have not been discovered yet, let alone allied with anyone.
2] No psionics/arcana (or FX in general). However, a lot of similar effects will probably be available through the use of technology such as the hand devices used by the Goa'uld to heal, and kill. Instead of choosing FX Powers, you'll probably need to choose which devices to bring.
3] We'll be using the Vitalty/Wound Points system instead of the Hit Points system. You can read a general idea of how it works here. Although it some ways more deadly, in others it is far less deadly and I think would work better for this game. With VP healing a great deal faster than hit points, it means there will probably be less healing downtime between/during missions.
4] The starting level will be 1-3. I have not yet fully decided.
5] More to come later, since I assume there will be some questions.

So...

Anyone interested? Any takers?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:30 pm
Interest? Check!... Not in playing, but it looks cool.  

Daelos

MT the Clown

Beloved Lunatic

10,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:31 pm
*raises hand* Hey, I'm always looking for something that'll let me do some typing. Once you get words going, it easily clears up a writer's block on an essay. So I'm in.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:08 pm
... You have peaked my interest.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Reevinja Mk II
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:18 pm
Well.. that's two. I think. Can I get at least two more? xD  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:02 pm
OOOOO, interested

Dibs on Smart Hero

Daniel Jackson type is I  

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

MT the Clown

Beloved Lunatic

10,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:11 pm
Dedicated for me then... maybe a medic and field scientist combo if I survive that long.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:38 pm
I'll jump into the mix too. I'm claiming Charismatic Hero.  

bamaotaku
Crew

Reevinja Mk II
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:10 pm
Four is good. I'll work up character creation rules tomorrow.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:14 pm
For a second I was wondering how Reev would respond if I sent in Caulder again... but quickly decided I actually want to see my character survive more than 10 seconds and one post. But hypothetically, if I were to do that... any bets on how long he'd survive?  

MT the Clown

Beloved Lunatic

10,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Ryuu Sanada

Divine Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:21 am
-la gasps- Did I miss out on a chance to sign up?!? I need to find me a d20 Modern .pdf cause I like the Stargate series -misses cable TV-  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:40 am
Here you go Ryu, this assumingly has what ever info you need

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/D20_Modern

I would volunteer my self as I am always up for a crack at d20 modern, but seeing as I yet to even make my character for the dark heresy rp, I should probably not.  

Shingami Hiroshi

Reevinja Mk II
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:40 am
D20 Modern SRD

Free, and legal.

Clown: If you want to use him, feel fee. As long as you remake him to the specifications of this game, which I've yet to decide.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:50 am
Thank you, thank you, Reev and Hiroshi.

-gets familiar with the sites set up so he can make a character- I'll make a Fast hero or Strong/Fast hero. Depends on the character creation rules.

May not be too hard to make up a character.  

Ryuu Sanada

Divine Knight

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:47 am
Let's see...

I could go with a tough hero.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash