Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
What do They Think of You? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aetherfall

5,600 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:54 pm
My mom thinks it's weird, but she knows I'm going to do it with or without her approval. Dad thinks it's funny.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:43 am
And every time you ask him for another vanishing act,
he half smiles as if to say...

Well, I thought my parents wouldn't really care about cosplaying and conventions, but I was only half right.

My parents don't really mind me going to conventions (as long as they're not involved), but it's the cosplaying that bothers them. Not so much my dad, but I think it bothers my mom a lot.

I was talking to her, before I went back for the new semester, about my cosplay stuff. She was adamantly against me getting colored contacts, thought wigs were horribly unnecessary, and balked when I told her how much I payed for a custom fitted dress for one of my cosplays (which was actually a steal). But if I mention sewing she seems OK with it (even though she personally hates sewing). Sometimes I swear it's like talking to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. =_=;;;

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,
whatever you want is fine by me."

Stegsie

Tiny Friend

12,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Timid 100

oHaru_Maru

Virtuous Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:12 pm
I've only gone to a con once but I have three costumes so I do wear them else where.

My mother loves the idea. Shes the one that first tempted me to try it. Though after trying to sew something and accidentally sewing my shirt to the fabric she banned me from the sewing machine. sweatdrop

Both my grandmothers are neutral. They just want pictures of when I dress up in the costumes.

My father on the other hand...he hates it. He says that I'm going to get kidnapped, that I'm going to be labeled insane and a bunch of other stuff. His step-wife agrees with him, well more like she made him hate the idea but that's a long story. A little tip. If anybody wants to get their judgmental parent out of the way show them to where the coffee is. Learned that about half way though the convention.

My little sister goes into my closet and plays dress-up with them. Enough said.

Uncle thinks it weird but supports it. Except for when I eat ramen in my geisha costume with my chopsticks in my hair. Then he just calls me names. crying

Some of my friends link its just plain weird. While some think its cool and that they could go to cons.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:22 am
my parants thinks it's ok x3
so no complaining xD
and most of my friends also cospaly so..only the ones at school dont, but the like it  

GleekSily3_6

Hoshi no Miko

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:11 pm
Well almost all of my friends are anime fans, so they think going to conventions and cosplaying is awesome. The few friends of mine that aren't anime friends tease me good narturedly a little, but over all are supportive and just let me do my thing and have my fun.

As for my family. Well, my dad is pretty cool about it. He's helped me pick out things for cosplays, and with my Edward Elric cosplay, he loaned me his credit card so I could order it online, then took the photos of me modeling it from the site I bought it from. I told that site I would be a model for them, so we took quite a few, I sent it to them, and they were happy with the free advertising.

My mom thinks it's pretty silly though. However, she has never really tried to stop me from going to conventions or cosplaying. She'll just make snide remarks sometimes when I stay at her place for my annual visits to Anime Evolution in Vancouver, Canada. According to her anime is just "silly little cartoons." I just let that roll off my back though.
My sister (who is 15 years older than me) well, I don't think she fully understands it, so she doesn't say much one way or another. That's cool I suppose.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:49 am
My parents, mum espcially, have always been amazingly supportive of my cosplaying.
My mum used to make costumes for me when I was little for school plays and costume days so I've kind of carried that on myself. When I phoned her while at a con last year to tell her my costume had won in the competition there she actually started crying!
My dad was always the kind of person who insisted school and academic stuff came first, but now he's seen how successful my business has become and that my costumes have won awards he's much more supportive.

My husband's family isn't as supportive and finds it a bit weird as they don't understand much of it and think it's just something stupid that kids and nerds do. What I find most annoying is that, cosplaying aside, they don't take my skills seriously and treat it as a joke (considering my skills paid for most of our wedding and honeymoon I take it fairly seriously). His grandparents however love it (his nan used to make lots of her own stuff) and even bought me a body form for my 21st. His brother is also great and we took him to his first event last month, he loved the costume I'd made for him too!

I have few friends that aren't into cosplaying. They didn't really understand it to begin with but all of them are really supportive and one of my best friends really wants to come to a con with us.

My husband I met through cosplaying so he's great with it. He does go on at me sometimes for how much I spend (a lot of my costumes go over my expected budget a lot!) but he really encourages me and loves wearing the costumes I make.  

Sephiroths samurai girl

Sonic_Boom33

Shirtless Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:54 pm
my dad thinks its kool and helps me work on thing for it. He ask "So you planing go to Nekocon again?" Its really kool, but that is how my dad is.

My sister is the one who got me into con's so we go and do it together.

my mom think its stupid but I don't care what she thinks

My older brother could care less

my little brother is still trying to talk us into taking him. He is 9 so he still in school so its hard.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:24 pm
i just started to stop caring and gave everyone who went OUT of thier way to say somethimg to me the F.U! but my dad loves it as long as i dont go as a certain revealing character and my mom is kind of oblivious to it XD  

Shymedusa

Interesting Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Full closet 200

amanogawatea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:44 pm
Everyone accepts it in my family, and all of friends like it too.
Although I did loose a friend over it, but he was a jerk.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:44 pm
I don't have parents, I live with a roommate, and she is into
all of that stuff aswell, though she does not cosplay.
Shes into the lolita Fashion.

User Image

Sir Crepe

Glacirus

5,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Lets see...

Parents: "Sure, we'll be there to drive you back/forth and we'll watch you like hawks until you find a friend, but sure." plus "Your NOT spending this much." and "Costume? Sure...*coughfreakcough*"

Friends (in Anime Club): *Jealous stares* "What's it like!? I wanna go!"

Other Friends: "lul wut?"

Random People: *stares of fear/disdain* "Where'd you get the wooden sword?"

That's the general outcome.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:43 pm
What do your parents think about you cosplaying/conventions? Your non-con friends? Who's supportive and who's weirded out? Discuss!

Hmm... My parents pretty much back me up. My mom isn't doing flips, but she's always excited to go the con (still can't go on my own, though I do ditch her eventually. She just takes pictures of the cosplayers, or goes and plays in some other area of the city.) She thinks its fun.. I can't get a new wig without her trying it on...
It seems like she plays with them before me crying
But she's pretty supportive.

Not sure about my dad. He finds it odd, but he's fine. And he's in no position to do about it anyway.

My mom's last boyfriend was totally against it, and always made fun of me and my sister. I think her new BF is fine with it, though.

My grandparents are pretty cool...

My non con friends... There are very few of them. Meaning like... a two or three really close friends, and a bunch of sorta-friends. A lot of the non con ones, though, are like "That would be so much fun!!!" One of my friends is very religious, though, and has a strict family... But she would love to go, because she wants to open a booth in Artist's Alley...

Um...
The sane people...
Same reaction for everyone: o.O WTF?!?!?!
I've had teachers who think it's interesting, though. My biology teacher from last year loved seeing my K-con '09 pics.

Empresss Spiral

XxGin Ichimaru TaichouxX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:26 pm
My mom thinks its pretty awesome, shes totally for it~
my dad doesnt really care for it, idk really D:  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:30 am
My mum doesn't really care but seems to like me cosplaying and didn't wierd out when she figured out that I was cosplaying as a guy.
My dad doesn't mind but sometimes makes fun of how I really like anime and cosplay by every now and then randomly making up a song to a the tune of a song he is listening to at that moment which kind of annoys me but he (I think) is in the dark about me cosplaying as a guy.
My brother doesn't mind and I've kind of brought him over to the dark side because 1. he's coming with me to the next animania & 2. he may cosplay as Zabuza.
Some of my friends don't mind and some do but they tolerate it and a few of my friends actually cosplay/thinking about cosplaying.  

Skyra123456

2,750 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200

[Kirimasu__]

Shirtless Capitalist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:54 am
Mom loves it. xDD She keeps telling me to do more cosplays before I get too old. She's probably fine as long as I don't ask her for money to dress up. lol

Alot of my friends either cosplay, love anime and manga, or are into subculture. They've been really understanding and supportive.

But then again, I live in Singapore, where people who are not into subculture are quite unforgiving and critical about cosplayers.

I remember there was once I joined a school open house as a cosplayer with my club, and this particular costume I was in was a tad revealing, plus it was my first cosplay ever. >< I was Jasdero from D.Gray-man I mean, I'll tell you that my figure is nothing near perfect, but I didn't think it was that bad. Apparently this rude photographer caught me in a bad pose that showed some tummy fat. He took the picture he had of me and posted that on a public forum. As a result, I got flamed really bad for it by people who knew nothing about cosplay, or the event.

I lost alot of my confidence afterwards because I felt it was really cruel of them to do so, and it took quite awhile for me to get back onto the cosplay track. x__x So please be careful when you're in your costumes and exposed to a public, non-con audience. These people unlike con photographers and participants aren't looking to catch you at your best.

Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff